Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-04, 01:13 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Nice moment to remember: in we did supta padangusthasana (reclining leg stretches) -- when the foot was brought down to the side we were instructed to catch our neighbors foot: over 200 people lying on the floor linked foot to hand.

Of course Stupid Sharon managed to hurt her SI joint in vasithasana toward the end of the first session, second day and so wasn’t able to put her all into the backbends
The linked-hand-to-foot thing sounds great!! Bummer that you hurt yourself. Hope you're better soon. Thanks for the report! I'm sure Weegee will be happy to know that he need not move to Texas. (Where's the cat smiley?)
Old 06-08-04, 01:39 PM  
bona56
VF Supporter

Fascinating report, Sharon. I enjoy your perspective. Hope your injury gets better soon.

And, adorable picture. You're glowing! You're like the person in the pic... who is that...everyone else is getting older and you're looking younger? Dorian Gray? You're testimony to the benefits of Yoga!
bona56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 01:39 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I join Weegee in relief you won't be spirited away to Texas. Great report. So sorry to hear about the injury. As you know, if I'm accepted (i'm starting to angst) I'll be in J.Friend's workshop in Toronto on June 23/24 - also mixed level. We'll see if there's a special Canadian spin

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 02:04 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
I join Weegee in relief you won't be spirited away to Texas. Great report. So sorry to hear about the injury. As you know, if I'm accepted (i'm starting to angst) I'll be in J.Friend's workshop in Toronto on June 23/24 - also mixed level. We'll see if there's a special Canadian spin
The Toronto workshop will be quite different I think. For one thing, it's all levels right? You'll get some advanced poses and that'll be fun. I missed that in New York's split level set up although it wasn't a bad thing for me to reroot my foundation. And he had so many spins on the spirals.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 03:00 PM  
cmiyachi

Thanks Sharon - that sounds fun - I love your picture too - you are a fashionable yogini .

I just finished listening to Currents of Grace and really love the ideas behind Anasura. I have a hard time slowing down to do Iyengar and Anasura - for me, they are the most advanced.

I have to see if John Friend is coming to Boston.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 03:28 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Hi Chris,

I have Currents of Grace but haven't found time to listen to it. As you might know, J.Friend founded anusara at the request of Gurumayi Chidvilasananda. She is the Guru of the Siddha Meditation society
http://www.siddhayoga.org/practices/...a/john_friend/

A New Yorker article written sometime back paints a fairly disturbing portrayal os Siddha - more specifically the USA branch SDHA, it has chilled me out a bit on the spiritual underpinnings of anusara
http://www.ex-cult.org/Groups/SYDA-Yoga/leave.txt

Douglas Renfrew Brooks, the lecturer on Currents of Grace, and theological point man for anusara, is a religous scholar, and clearly more complex, and separate from Siddha, but did write an introduction to a Siddha produced book proclaiming its own history which has been greeted with some scepticism.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I am looking to find out more about Brooks, tantric traditions, etc.

Rumi
Old 06-08-04, 06:59 PM  
cmiyachi

Wow! Thanks Jane - I didn't know all of this. This is an eye-opener.

The CD talks about tranta(trantric?) yoga and is only 1 hour long. It was scholarly in some parts but it also talked about the good in every single one of us and how we should find the current of grace. I found the explanations a little bit too simplistic. After all, there is a lot of suffering in the world and I just can't accept this simplistic view.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 08:09 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiyachi
Wow! Thanks Jane - I didn't know all of this. This is an eye-opener.

The CD talks about tranta(trantric?) yoga and is only 1 hour long. It was scholarly in some parts but it also talked about the good in every single one of us and how we should find the current of grace. I found the explanations a little bit too simplistic. After all, there is a lot of suffering in the world and I just can't accept this simplistic view.
Tantra is pretty hard to define:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=define+tantra

I know, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to find the answers to life's mysteries in anusara philosophy. This is good since that's not why I dabble in it.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 08:43 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

One of the Yoga Matrix CDs deals with tantra in a fairly interesting way. I really like Freeman - I know you had reservations, Chris, but I find his stuff, more than anyone else I've come across in yoga, straddles spirtuality and western critical thinking in a manner to my liking.

My understanding is that tantrism, as a tradition, is oral, immanent, and tribal - not unlike the yoruban traditions in Africa that gave rise to Santeria, Voodoo and Lucumi in the west. Or, by another rough analogy - its the "sufism" of classical hindu studies (although I understand there are tantric traditions in Buddhism as well). I think these all have intrigues and problems.

Don't get me wrong, I love the yoruban traditions and have studied them, and I'm very keen to know more about tantra. But no way, no how, am I kissing the hem of Gurumayi's slip.

I got a scholarly book about tantric traditions out of the library - Brooks has a chapter in it that is very anthopological/linguistic and somewhat difficult to follow - although I'm going to try again. Brooks teaches the philisophical component of Francois' Raoult's Iyengar teacher training, and that fact, alone, is enough to make me withhold the judgement I might otherwise make that he's a frontperson for a somewhat disturbing cult. He is highly credentialed - spent many years in India, knows sanskrit, etc.

more will be revealed.

Rumi
Old 06-08-04, 09:34 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

It's all a little too weird for me, but thanks for the interesting articles, Jane.

Tags
christine felstead, eye bag, legs up the wall, old thread alert, proprioception, yoga audios, yoga workshop reporter, yoga workshops