Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-19, 07:48 PM  
Pam

Starting to working after low back injury

About a month I injured my lower back. After taking a few days off, I started working on outdoor projects that I needed/wanted to finish before we get any further into winter. After waking in the morning my back would be stiff, and after lifting and bending all day my back would sore. Days off, no soreness. So, I don’t think I would have any soreness, if I wasn’t pushing it.

Now that most of the outdoor projects are finished, I think my back is ready for less intense, but gradual strengthening. Before the injury, my core was strong.

I have starting doing Classical Stretch Back Pain DVD.

Would like recommendations on easy back strengthening workout DVDs. TIA!
Old 11-16-19, 10:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

Pam
I'm sorry I can't speak to classical stretch so I hope someone pipes up with knowledge on that.

I'm not sure how you injured your back but I injured mine years ago. I don't know how.

After I released myself from PT, it was hard to do anything. I'm not sure but I think they were making me worse, so I refused to keep going because my mobility was decreasing after each visit

As soon as I could, I started walking and tensing my abs intermittently while walking.

Then I went real slow with 10 minute solution Lara Hudson pilates workouts especially the stretch segments on them. Also Tamilee abs and Total body stretch workouts, and Kathy Smith secrets of a great upper body.

I wouldn't do the whole workout sometimes and I constantly listened to my body. It took a lot of work but I'm better now but it was hard being patient.

I also still do soothing workouts like Jessica SmithGentle Yoga and all the stretches mentioned above.

Also this was recommended to me by someone here on VF...and I still use it

Yoga for low back Adrienne:
https://youtu.be/XeXz8fIZDCE

https://youtu.be/phuS5VLQy8c

Finally I also foam roll.

Hope that helps! (At least it will bump your thread )

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-19, 12:14 PM  
anjabear

I highly recommend Foundation Training From Pain to Performance, Fundamentals and Daily Workouts (two DVDs sold together).

It changed my life for the better and if I ever over-do I reach for it to kind of remind my body the best movement patterns for back health.

I use the foundational movements, the essence of the ideas, in my daily life all the time.

HTH

Old 11-16-19, 08:39 PM  
Pam

Thanks anjabear and fanoflaydvols for your helpful comments and recommendations. Some of DVDs I have ( love Lara Hudson) and after I finish this message going to check the rest. Glad your backs have greatly improved!

In my collection I have Allan Menezes’ Pilates for Lower Back Pain. Good workout, have only done it one time this week.

I was up about 10’ on an extension ladder hurrying to finish sanding and staining before a major snowstorm expected the next day. Tired and in an hurry after 2 days of this project, apparently I didn’t get the ladder secured on the slope (I live on the side of a fairly steep mountain) and it slides down and I land on my back. Very minor injuries, except for a sore lower back fortunately.
Old 11-16-19, 10:16 PM  
fanofladyvols

Pam...that's a pretty scary story to me thinking of falling off a ladder. Yipes!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 12:53 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Oh no Pam, sorry about your accident. Is that what caused your original injury or did this just happen? You are lucky that you didn't get major injuries or worse. I am too scared of heights to ever go on a ladder to begin with.

I had recurring lower back injuries and I found that Pilates helped alot. I used to hate Pilates but now I tolerate it because it really helps my back. I am starting to actually sort of like it...
After a hiatus from lifting for various reasons I am going to start again tomorrow. At this point I can't do deadlifts from the floor but rack pulls don't seem to bother me. Kettlebell swings have been basically out but I want to try them again in the near future.
That Foundation Training sounds interesting.
Feel better Pam.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 04:03 PM  
Pam

Thanks Ireidgreen for your good wishes and suggestions! I have started doing Pilates, gentle yoga, CS, and QiGong. Its getting a lot better. Only hurts when I when I over do it with projects around my house and outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Oh no Pam, sorry about your accident. Is that what caused your original injury or did this just happen? You are lucky that you didn't get major injuries or worse. I am too scared of heights to ever go on a ladder to begin with.

I had recurring lower back injuries and I found that Pilates helped alot. I used to hate Pilates but now I tolerate it because it really helps my back. I am starting to actually sort of like it...
After a hiatus from lifting for various reasons I am going to start again tomorrow. At this point I can't do deadlifts from the floor but rack pulls don't seem to bother me. Kettlebell swings have been basically out but I want to try them again in the near future.
That Foundation Training sounds interesting.
Feel better Pam.
Old 11-24-19, 08:07 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjabear View Post
I highly recommend Foundation Training From Pain to Performance, Fundamentals and Daily Workouts (two DVDs sold together).

It changed my life for the better and if I ever over-do I reach for it to kind of remind my body the best movement patterns for back health.

I use the foundational movements, the essence of the ideas, in my daily life all the time.

HTH

I just looked for this on Amazon and it is $80! However it is also on Amazon Prime on their Food Matters TV channel. Apparently it is available with a free trial which I will try when I get a chance. Did you get this through Amazon or elsewhere?

ETA: Amazon also has the book. The kindle version has videos embedded in it so I may get that. It's only $10.99.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back exercise, back injury, back strength, back strengthening, dr eric goodman, foundation training