Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-16, 11:05 AM  
lorajc

DDP Yoga Question?

RE: DDP Yoga - Have you done it without the dynamic resistance added to it and still gotten good results? just wondered if anyone has tried it without. Is it still good for some toning? as in power yoga? thanks

ETA: although doesn't Classical Stretch use dynamic resistance....so is it necessarily bad to use that with yoga?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 12:32 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
RE: DDP Yoga - Have you done it without the dynamic resistance added to it and still gotten good results? just wondered if anyone has tried it without. Is it still good for some toning? as in power yoga? thanks

ETA: although doesn't Classical Stretch use dynamic resistance....so is it necessarily bad to use that with yoga?
Yes. I have posted about this before. The use of dynamic resistance in these workouts, IMO, is to make people think the workouts can check the cardio box. Speaking for myself, the only yoga workouts I have done that gave me a significant cardio burn are fast-paced power yoga workouts like the UY Cardio workout. DDPY workouts simply don't move as quickly as UY Cardio, and most of them are not as long as UY Cardio (or the other UY workouts).

DDPY is a very good bodyweight workout program. I increased my strength more than anything, but the workouts also helped with balance and flexibility. But mainly, I made strength gains--the slow count pushups were especially helpful. I was also eventually able to get all the way into the catcher's pose (butt to the ground), and I couldn't do that when I started the program. My knees are cr*p and this was a major accomplishment.

I got extremely tight and sore neck muscles and traps from utilizing dynamic resistance when I first started doing the DDPY program, as I've said previously. It's possible I wasn't "doing it right" but I doubt it, especially since other people have reported the same thing. Just my opinion yet again, but dynamic resistance is not necessary in order to get a lot of benefit from these workouts.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 01:26 PM  
lorajc

Thanks.....but it does confuse me a bit sinced they use some dyn res in class stretch..

Anyway at the end of the beginner dvd I found out my fat burning zone is a LOT lowerf than it used to be so I was in it just using a bit of resistance .....mostly in the lower body and just a bit on curls and such....ill see how I do just using it like that.
Old 05-20-16, 02:35 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch/Essentrics doesn't use dynamic resistance. It's all about stretching and strengthening through (dynamic) movement. The whole "motion is lotion" deal. You can do the movements very loose, or really pull and stretch away from the center of your body depending on if you are working through pain or not.

DDPY's "dynamic resistance" imho is just adding isometric contractions to his poses. It would contribute to developing a cardio effect as the contraction would get blood moving and the heart pumping.

I agree with Betsy in that he does push the "dynamic resistance" so people feel that it can be a cardio workout. Cardio just means that your heart and lungs are working together in an elevated state. I can be breathing heavy and sweating during my Essentrics workouts....particularly when I am teaching and talking a lot.

DDPY is a solid strength based yoga program. Like Betsy, I also got very strong and my balance improved immensely. Did I achieve a chiseled sexy body or lose gabs of weight? No. I think that most people who do his (or any) program and have dramatic weight loss probably had a lot of weight to lose and drastically modified their lifestyle....like the disabled vet Arthur on the DDPY website.

I liked DDPY fine. I wish he would have included more recovery workouts in his rotation. The advanced workouts were pretty hard on my back and hip issues.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 03:06 PM  
Missiscipi

I started doing DDP yesterday. I really like it and my herniated disc back and knee seem to like it too. I am hoping I have good results with pain relief from it. I may do classical stretch too.
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 08:39 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiscipi View Post
I started doing DDP yesterday. I really like it and my herniated disc back and knee seem to like it too. I am hoping I have good results with pain relief from it. I may do classical stretch too.
Hi,
I know this wasn't the original topic of the thread and I don't have any herniated discs (to my knowledge, anyway!) but last Friday I started back w/ regular CS/Essentrics workouts (doing them daily) and I can honestly say 90% of my back and hip pain is resolved. If I have a twinge or tweak, it is b/c of something silly I did. I'm waking up far less stiff than I was prior to getting back to CS/Esentrics. I'm able to get out of bed and stand up straight rather than shuffling along for awhile trying to unkink.

I know everyone is different, but CS/Essentrics works best for me. During my hiatus from it I was doing a lot of stretchy yoga and I feel I lost flexibility and range of motion.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 04:17 PM  
lorajc

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to try it again with only turning on the resistance in my lower body...not my upper....as I did get trap spasms....but I'm not sure if they are from DDP or the TA workout I did the day prior...so I'm going to do something else for a few days and then when they go away....separate the workouts and try them apart and see which one did it. If I can't do the DYN RES....perhaps, I can pick up very light weights during the curls and such...unless it moves too quickly...I'll play it by ear.

Jackie - thanks for explaining the difference. I'll probably add some Class Stretch in the next week. I couldn't afford to get that Aging Backwards set that you recommended....as it was too expensive. Perhaps for Christmas!

Mississippi - did you use the dym resis in your practice?

Tags
ddp, ddp yoga, herniated disc