Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-20, 07:15 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I've been working out regularly since the mid 1970's. In my early 20s I used to go to Chicago Health Club (franchise that's long gone now) as well as other "health clubs" in my area before I bought my first VHS player. Then I've discovered VHS fitness tapes (original Firms and others!) and I've never looked back. I still have all my original clamshell Firms even though I don't have a VHS player anymore and haven't for years. My passion for fitness is my only life-long and non-negotiable constant in my life. I love working out and I hope to continue until the day I drop. Long story short - it's been an easy 40+ years for me.
Old 06-13-20, 07:27 PM  
Izzy

I am 64. I started working out my sophomore year of high school religiously doing some for of exercising or playing a sport. I took a HS exercise class that taught us to create calisthenics to do at home for at least 30 minutes a day. Our final project for our grade was to create our own 30 minute “routine” one we would “turn to for the rest of your lives.” This was in 1971! I started home videos with Jane Fonda in 1987 after my first son was born. Prior to that I ran, walked, played tennis and biked and did my “routine.”
Old 06-13-20, 07:31 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I started working out in high school doing donkey kicks, fire hydrants, scissors, etc., every day before school. Around 50 years ago.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 07:57 PM  
rykram

I remember getting and doing Alyssa Milano’s workout video, Teen Steam (??) I think it was called. I think it was a dance video but I can’t remember a lot of details. My memory isn’t that great for a variety of reasons.

On and off since then, but more consistently before my last child was born in 2004. I just turned 48.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 10:39 PM  
JustSandra

Forty-plus years for me!

In college I ran, and one year I was on the crew team. After I graduated I moved to San Francisco where I continued to run but also dabbled in many fitness activities -- gyms (both fancy and plain), martial arts, yoga, adult beginner ballet, Jazzercize, even Jane Fonda's Workout Studio. I also walked everywhere! When I moved out to the Sacramento suburbs in the late 80's I had trouble finding a gym or fitness center I clicked with, but one day had an epiphany when I realized I could set up a TV and VCR in my spare bedroom and use the VHS tapes that were becoming popular (Jane Fonda's Workout With Weights was an early favorite). At some point while doing an internet search for reviews I bumped into VF which I credit for helping me keep reasonably consistent through these many years!

My exercise preferences have changed over the years, and my workouts are not nearly as intense as they once were. But I am still doing at least something most days.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 03:19 AM  
Cybersparkle

It's been 20 years exactly, 52 now.
In my 20's I was 120 to 125, no exercise needed. I promised myself that soon as I started to gain weight, I would exercise. Around 31, 32 my weight began to creep towards 135. I ran & jogged outside for a few months. Then I saw a Firm ad in a magazine & ordered Susan Harris Vol 1 at the (both now obsolete) local mall video store.
Somehow found the Collage order catalogue & expanded my VHS to include other instructors, methods & systems.
Enter the internet
Went to a couple of other forums that only allowed discussion of one method/instructor. But I like variety. From there, landed here in 2009 discovered barre, kundalini yoga and finally became mature enough to take on a yoga practice.
Have never joined a gym.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 06:07 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

I have been working out for 39 years The first workout I owned was Kathy Smith's on a cassette and Jane Fonda's on vinyl lol. I did Bodies in Motion on tv before purchasing those (I think it was before lol).

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 06:29 AM  
anjabear

I've been working out for going on 40 years! Callanetics and Great Weighted Workout were my first workout tapes and I used them a lot! Gyms were part of my w/o history but I prefer to workout at home, or run or hike outside.
Old 06-14-20, 07:46 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I jogged some in high school, but never consistently. I bought a Joanie Greggains record in 1982 and have been exercising ever since.
Ah yes, Joanie Greggins! My mom had a few of her records and I do remember working out a little bit with her when I was a kid (8 or 9 years old).
Old 06-14-20, 08:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

30 years here - I started working out consistently after my son was born, in early 1990. I had gone to the Y prior to that and had participated in an aerobic dancing class previously, but after he was born in 1989 I switched to home workouts. The Firm, Volume 1, was my first really serious home workout, although I did own Jane Fonda's workout on vinyl. I've never looked back.

Working out and thinking about working out has been a large part of my recreational life. I came from a family where no one worked out and no one participated in sports. Go figure.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, first workout, first workouts, vf history