Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-15, 03:45 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

When I think of planks, I think of a static exercise. Essentrics is all about dynamic movements that lengthen while strengthening. Personally, I don't see how a plank could be incorporated into an Essentrics routine since Miranda is all about not holding static stretches. We are always moving.
Old 07-12-15, 03:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
When I think of planks, I think of a static exercise. Essentrics is all about dynamic movements that lengthen while strengthening. Personally, I don't see how a plank could be incorporated into an Essentrics routine since Miranda is all about not holding static stretches. We are always moving.
There is some flowy potential for planks, have done it in other programs - moving your body back & forth or hips up & down.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 05:11 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
This makes sense too

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 05:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yep, after reading your response, Jennifer, I agree. A plank would be a great big concentric contraction. Miranda would not approve.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 06:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love the CS/Essentrics standing work and I get that the basic philosophy of CS is flowing not static. But for me the floor core work is uninspired and old school.
[EDIT] Best solution for me is get my core work elsewhere and enjoy the Essentrics standing work!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 06:54 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I always got plenty of core work from the standing exercises. Maybe I notice it more because of my spine problems. If you do the standing work you don't need to hit the floor for planks, situps, crunches, or anything else.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 07:05 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I wonder what Miranda would say if asked directly why she doesn't incorporate planks in CS and/or Essentrics? Has anyone asked her, and had she ever addressed this topic personally?
Old 07-12-15, 10:28 PM  
Tinks

I know for me planks irritate my shoulder. I don't care for planks or crunches. I prefer standing ab exercises.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 01:05 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Yep, after reading your response, Jennifer, I agree. A plank would be a great big concentric contraction. Miranda would not approve.
Actually, a plank is an isometric contraction. No shortening or lengthening of the muscles involved---->hence no movement. Crunches are a "great big concentric contraction." At least the coming off the ground/curling up phase certainly is. You can add an eccentric phase, though ideally taking the spine into extension (like on an exercise ball etc) to get full lengthening/range of motion in the abs. So Miranda might have something else in mind, didn't think it through, or is just old school as suggested earlier etc. I'm guessing she thinks planks are too risky for a rehabilitative focus. Shoulders, wrists and backs can go south quickly if they are too weak to keep good plank form. Sustained contraction in the pecs/traps can easily cause nerve impingement and this is more likely in folks who have weak abs or pre-existing neck/shoulder tightness.
Old 07-13-15, 01:07 AM  
marya

I have to admit, my aversion to crunches has been a major deterrent where CS is concerned. No health issues preclude me from doing crunches, but I find them boring, uninspiring, and ineffective. However, I do have shoulder issues that contraindicate heavy-duty plank work, so planks would also be a major deterrent (unless they could be adapted to a stability ball).

I'm another who much prefers standing or chair abs exercises, and the most effective I've found to date are belly dance isolations. Miranda has a dance background (ballet)--I wonder if ballet would have anything comparable to offer. I agree she should come up with something better than crunches--almost no one likes them, and as other posters have noted, questions have been raised about their safety.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote