Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-14, 08:56 AM  
Diana3271

What are your favorite non yoga stretch DVD's?

I really enjoy Tamilee Webb's Total Body Stretch (10 minutes, standing) and Debbie Siebers Slim and Limber.

Today I need a longer stretch. I'm looking for something in the 30 minute range and one that does not use props. Maybe a strap, but no blocks, pillows, stability ball, etc. I don't want a yoga based stretch.

In this time range I have Madeline Lewis AM/PM Stretch and Karen Voight Pure and Simple Stretch.

I'm thinking KV's Pure and Simple Stretch will be best. I have never done this one, so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

I am currently doing Slim Series Express. I don't have Cool It Off Express. Is this one more yoga based or an athletic stretch?

TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 09:51 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Oops - I'm sorry. I failed to notice that you said "DVD". But if you can use streaming, this one is really nice - Jessica Smith's 30 minute stretch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ7hrD0Z_3o. Uses a towel or a belt and a mat.

For DVD stretches - I love the 15 minute segment on Michelle Dozois' DVD The Ultimate Workout - the flexibility segment is chaptered separately and uses only a belt and a mat. Suzanne Bowen will be releasing a stretching DVD in the next few months as well - that one will be good. I've gained a lot of flexibility (for me - still have a long ways to go) using her stretches incorporated in her streaming workouts.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 09:58 AM  
Demeris

Classical Stretch.

Essentrics.

My other favorites are longer than 30 mins, but these include Lastics, Bendy Body, Ageless Mobility, and Teresa Tapp's Warmup Workouts.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 10:02 AM  
PhyllisG

I love Michele LeMay. My cat loves her too.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 10:46 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Seconding Classical Stretch and Essentrics.

Lee Holden 7 Minutes of Magic...in particular the PM Extended practice. Awesome!

Cathe's Stretch Max is ok....3 20 minute stretches. One doesn't use equipment. Although I did purge this video as I think CS and Lee are better.

The stretch at the end of Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body is very good.

I have also used Jessica's stretches on YouTube.

I like CS and Qi Gong the best.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 10:59 AM  
Diana3271

Thank you for your replies. I also like Lee Holden. I need to look at Jessica Smith's stretch on youtube.

If I were to only get 1 CS which one should I get?

Does anyone like the KV I mentioned? Is it yoga like or athletic stretch?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 11:15 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Does anyone like the KV I mentioned? Is it yoga like or athletic stretch?
it's athletic and I love it. several years ago, DH wanted to use one of my stretch DVDs, and KV P&SS was the only one he liked. he did it for about a month!

and I let him sample several too, but P&SS was his go-to video.

Kathy smith's rejuvenation stretch uses a strap - VFers raved about this one, and I lucked out and found it on ebay. the DVD is called Walk & Stretch.

also - tony Horton's Power Half Hour Stretch is 30 min long.

cool it off express has some yoga moves in it, but it's very much like Slim & Limber, just longer. I wouldn't consider it a yoga DVD.

it's a coincidence that you started this thread because I've been running through my stretching DVDs to come up with a mini stretch routine for my co-workers at the next staff meeting!

my Karen voight P&SS DVD seems to be misplaced at the moment, and i'm getting irritated at myself for not putting it back where it belongs!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 11:27 AM  
Pam

Thanks for the recommendations Demeris. I am really tempted to buy one of the Bendy Bodies. I already used CS & Ess, Lastics a lot, but Bendy Body seems like it would be a great addition. I like her suggestions for a hip & thigh stretch on youtube. Are her 2 DVDs different or basically the same?

Her DVDs are much cheaper from her website. as compared to Amazon. Mary and Collage don't carry them. http://www.fitandbendy.com/videos/
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 11:51 AM  
bubbles76

The Bendy Body looks really interesting and has some stretches I haven't seen. Hmmm.....maybe I can rent first?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 12:49 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
The Bendy Body looks really interesting and has some stretches I haven't seen. Hmmm.....maybe I can rent first?
Oh if you do, please post your thoughts!
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madeleine lewis, mirabai holland, stretch dvds, stretching