Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-03-20, 10:22 AM  
mena

Fri 1/3 - Caribbean Workouts - Beach Pilates (Chi Ball and Dance Stretch segments). I lost control of my chi ball (not a real one--just a play ball from the dollar store) and it hit the wall and bounced back at me ! I never had that happen with any medicine ball/workout ball before--LOL.

Jan: 3/31
YTD: 3/366 (Stealing this idea of tracking the whole year here from Helen. It feels weird to write 366.)

Lili - Margaret's loss is Leslie's gain. It's annoying when a website doesn't act as it's supposed to though.

I hope everyone has a good weekend .
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 10:41 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Good Morning Everybody!!!

Here to report my workouts. I can do the month, but not the year (I might add them up when the year is over ..... But it's way to overwhelming for me to do it that way. At least for now. As usual - I reserve the right to change my mind.)

Lili: Just not a good sign if you have that much trouble even trying to SIGN UP for streaming. So I agree with Mena - Margaret's loss is Lesie's gain. Besides, that $9.60 service fee would TOTALLY TURN ME OFF. TOTALLY.

Mena: You and Helen just made me realize all my motivational things with how many days, hours, minutes are wrong for this year. oy .....

Helen: Years ago we met Franny at a conference (I think it was up in Cape Cod) or maybe Philly? At any rate, we then ran into her at a rest stop on the Parkway. Haven't seen her name in years. I will do a separate post of podcasts after this.

So on to me, me and all me.. . for the new year:

1/2/2020:
My one mile was on the elliptical (was almost 2 miles) and it was to Peloton's Broadway Hits with Matty. I followed it up with a 30 minute ride on the Peloton with Sam Yo. A New Year's recovery ride.

so ... I'm 2/31 for my walk a mile (and workouts)
I have to admit, my body was talking to me this a.m.

Waves to all.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 10:53 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Sorry to be MIA!

We had a busy few days over the New Year as we had our granddaughters for a sleep over and have rented our city condo for the month of Jan. We had to clear out or put away all our personal stuff and do a deep clean. I did something to my SI joint and my low back has been bugging me for the past week. I’ve been focusing on stretching it out and doing gentle movement. Sitting too much definitely makes it worse.

I finished off Dec with 29/31 days, but I never did finish posting them on the Dec thread. I’m pretty happy with that but my goal for Jan is 31/31. I’m still doing my 40 days of yoga and I’m on track with 13/13 so far. Congrats to Helen & Mena for every day in Dec!

January goals:
~31/31
~Daily yoga
~Less time online
~Daily study time for my level 3 Essentrics
~Pack at least one box a day for the upcoming move
~Daily reading from The Daily Stoic
~Healthy eating

Jan 1:
~Did some yoga & PT stretches for my low back & SI joint after my day of cleaning functional fitness.

Jan 2:
~Taught Essentrics
~JumpSport streaming: Level 1 Intro Cardio - This was short but moderately intense so I had to keep it low impact and modify a few moves. I was gifted a month streaming by my Secret Santa. It looks like a good site, lots of variety.
~Body Groove: Gentle Groovy Yoga - workout 1 - This was short and relaxing. I’ve been curious about it so I’m doing a month. It was a bit of a post holiday, lousy weather impulse buy, lol. I doubt I’ll do more than a month, I think many of the workouts are a bit too free form for me so I’m mainly interested in the yoga & Pilates.
~gentle hip/low back stretches....half frog, half apanasana on a block, reclined twist

Helen - Thanks for starting us off for the new month, new year, & new decade! I love the dogs on the air conditioner. How exciting you are coming to the US next year. Are you visiting several places?

Mena - I totally get wanting to fix your ankle weights, hope your solution works. I have a few pieces of fitness equipment I’d hate part with.

Kay - I hope Ursella is okay! Is she a cat or a dog...(I’m still a bit clued out on details). Hope your knees are better, carrying wood us hard work.

Lili - Sometimes online stuff can be frustrating, and the service fee is ridiculous! I have a bunch of MR’s downloads from a sale she had a while back. I quite like her & I should really do a rotation with them again. She is so cheerful & soft spoken as she kills you softly, lol. But it sounds like her streaming needs streamlining.

Cleda - I like your goals!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 11:05 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Podcasts

As for Podcasts - I am a returning newbie. I used to listen all the time on my Ipod, but got overwhelmed with too many, auto downloads, etc. I'm having ipod issues these days as my ipod needs a new battery, I'll spare you all the tale of woe, but as a result, I'm not really using it. Fast forward to now and I put an app on my phone and am downloading only episodes I want to listen to. I'm trying to keep life simple and not get overwhelmed. Have a list I found somewhere (Probably did a google search?) But here they are (and I have only listened to one)

I am sure I found them through a google search. They are about self help, positive thinking and motivation. (I think!) lol.

Here they are (In no particular order):
  • Anthony Robbins
  • School of Greatness (Lewis Howes)
  • Lead to Win (Michael Hyatt)
  • Oprah (Super Soul Conversations)
  • Changeability (Kathryn Bryant & Julian Illmore)
  • TED radio hour
  • Mind Valley Podcast
  • Eventual Millionaires
  • Good Life Project
  • The One You Feed
  • Inspire Nation
  • No More Excuses Monday Motivation
  • Meaningful Work/Meaningful Life
  • The Motivation Report
These are jotted down from my search, so who even knows if I wrote them down correctly. But there you have it. I did listen to The One You Feed today. The episode I chose was interviewing the author BJ Fogg and his book Tiny Habits. I will also listen to his interview(s) with James Clear who wrote Atomic Habits. It seems to be all the rage on my FB groups.

If you have others or listen to any and have recommendations, I'm always eager for more.

Cleda
Old 01-03-20, 06:10 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - thanks for the podcast list, although I don't listen as much as I used to. Most of the ones I listen to are knitting related, but they often include books and movies/tv show recommendations. Also, thanks for being as outraged as I was about the service fee!
Pam - glad to see you back! I've always loved Margaret for the same reason you gave! Also, she does a lot of floor work that doesn't aggravate my knees as much.

I feel like I need to make some monthly goals, besides every day in January.
DH and I are doing an anti-inflammatory diet this month. I've done it in the past, but he never made through lunch on the first day! We are on day 2 and he is hanging in there.
Reading more is on my year long goal list.
I'll have to give this some thought.

Today - a dog walk and 3 Miracle Miles with Leslie.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 01:46 AM  
Helen

CLEDA
Yes ! thankyou for the pod list. I only had Tony Robbins & the TED radio hour & I was familiar with James Clear (heard him speaking about his book on another pod - The Lucas Rockwood Show) so will explore the others.

GADGETS - I've been pondering a rebounder for ages. Always bemoaned that DH has tossed 2 (one I had for the girls when they were little & one that was Mother's). They were very heavy with springs, and it was long before I'd discovered YouTube Urban Rebounding. Eyed them at various sports stores but couldn't really justify the price, especially for one with bungy cord rather than springs, and big enough to do a proper wide-foot jack on, and with a handlebar.

Anyway.... One came up on FB Marketplace, just 30min drive away, and it fit the bill perfectly, only $50 and it looks brand new! DH is driving to Melbourne tomorrow to help Cait repair her motorbike. He'll be gone a few days, so whilst he's gone I have to find somewhere to keep it, ... unobtrusively. May need to rearrange the gym.

At my age, with now my first injury, kind of expecting joint issues (knees & hips) to begin happening, so I'm calling it preventative measures.

LILI
From what I've heard about goal achievement, micro goals (atomic habits?) have the most success - the baby steps notion. I tend to go all-out, aim too high, and beat myself up with negative self-talk for not reaching the lofty heights I set myself. I DO know better. Sigh.....

PAM
I KNEW you'd be back!
Today, in particular, those dogs on the fan make me feel better. Not long been out to pick up the mini-tramp. It hit 106F and at 5:30pm it's still 100F.

Business
Fri., 3rd-Jan.
Oh YES, Lived up to those high expectations for at least ONE day.
am Cathe - CTX - Leaner Legs 51min
pm Cathe - XTrain - Chest, Back, & Shoulders 51min
___dog walk 1 hour

Sat., 4th-Jan.
nothing yet, don't know if it will either, given the heat - unless I do something from YouTube in the loungeroom (where the A/C is) - maybe start Adriene's 30-day yoga challenge?
ETA DONE Adriene - 30 days of Yoga - HOME - Day 1 around 10pm.

Just 31 miles west of Sydney, was 120F today!!!

Oh - Cathe's Step Boss arrived today! Have gathered the breakdowns and all are entered into my database (workouts / premixes / bonuses).
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 06:33 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Love different time zones

As it usually means I wake up to a "Helen Post".

Helen: Congrats on a new-to-you rebounder. I am so excited for you. The bungees make ALL the difference in the world. I have had 2 with springs and haven't used one since I got the Bellicon (how many years ago?) I didn't even realize that Urban Rebounding was on you tube. I always forget to check You tube. D'oh! Keep us posted and do let us know what workouts you do. I'm always looking. And we are similar in our lofty goals and all that. But you knew that.

Pam: Looks like you and I were the same for our Dec. goals and along with others here, have the same January goals. We can do this! (as long as my power stays on and doesn't go out for 4 days). I didn't realize JumpSport had streaming. I shouldn't even ask since I barely use my Bellicon site. But details are always welcome. .

Mena:
Yes! You came to the right place to mention your ankle weights. OF COURSE we understand. (I do not, however, have a solution. Sorry).

Lili: 2 books I put holds on at my Library that I want to read:
  1. Atomic Habits By James Clear
  2. Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg
Atomic Habits is one of those "buzz books" that many of my FB groups are talking about. I heard of the Tiny Habits through the podcast.

I made it to the library yesterday!! WOW. But even more surprising is I found ONE of the books on my list of 5 that they had. Usually they have nothing, I get frustrated, come home, buy it and put it on my Kindle. I found another book I think I may have wanted to read somewhere along the line also. Sooooooooooooooo I came home and started reading Last Christmas in Paris and I'm enjoying it. It's written in letter format and reminds me of Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (which I enjoyed also!)

On to me, me and all me:

1/3/2020: (I still keep typing 2019 and have to go back and change it to 2020. I have no problems WRITING it, but for whatever reason, typing it is not coming easily to me. I think it's a cool year btw. And I LOVE writing it.!!!) Treadmill - for 1.5 maybe 1.9 miles. I made my goal of one mile, so that's good. I started out doing one of the programs (that I put in, no higher than 10 on incline and no faster than 4 mph) then it's intermediate and the treadmill gives me the program. Didn't like it . Hit 10 incline at 3.7 mph and I wasn't comfortable. Bailed and will change it for next time if I'm going that high on incline, I have to cap the speed. But I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone on the treadmill. This was good. I then went to the "Track" interface where I put in my (hoped?) speed ... and I have a pacer that I have to follow/catch, pass whatever!!! I had fun with that and I got the rest of my mileage in. I figure I might as well use the programs on the console. That's what they are there for. Still having Ipod woes, barely made it through the walk. I followed it up with a 45 minute heart rate zone training ride on the bike. (With Jennifer Jacobs - an instructor who is no longer with Peloton) It was supposed to have a Bruce Springsteen song in it, it didn't. I went the whole 45 minutes just waiting for Bruce and he never showed. could have something to do with the music thing, but usually they get rid of the whole ride ... anyway ... not my favorite ride.

I work today so it's off to maybe get my mile in before heading into the office. Tonight is my work Christmas party also.

That's it. (and it's plenty!)
Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 01-04-20, 04:51 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Today - 1.5 mile treadmill run followed by Unplugged S20:E3. I had planned on running longer, but the adjustment to the new diet is leaving us both fatigued, which is normal.
4/31

I tried the Jumpsport streaming and didn't care for it. I liked Bellicon better. Of course, your mileage may vary. It's worth a shot for the free trial period. I didn't realize that Urban Rebounding was on YouTube! I've been meaning to pull out my one UR DVD, now I have options!
Helen - I'm hope you enjoy your new toy! I started out with an Urban Rebounder, then had a cheap one, then decided to ask for the Jumpsport when it went on sale many Christmas' ago. The quiet of the bungees is so much nicer than the springs.
Between the fires and the high heat, Australia has been in the news here quite a bit. It looks devastating. Stay safe and try and stay cool.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 05:14 AM  
Helen

5/31
5/366
Starting to feel the holidays slipping away. Only 3 weeks left!
DH drove to Melbourne today to deliver the little Corolla to Cait so I'm alone (with Alice though) but only for 3 days.

Sun., 5th Jan. with buddy, so a bit easier
Gilad - Best of Bodies in Motion - 1100 Series - Eps 1,2,3 65min

Didn't realise the bungies made the rebounder more quiet - thanks for mentioning it.

LILI
>> Saved Playlists << I've saved some playlists of only minitramp workouts from other channels. They'll be obvious on the link (I hope).

CLEDA
Your work's Christmas party?! More like a New Year's party now.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 08:48 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

It's Sunday! I need a day of rest today (from life, not exercising - that would never get me to my "every day in Jan" goal if I took off.)

Helen: Thank you for sharing your playlists. So helpful. I snagged a couple to put on my rebounder list. I will go back and try them. (I should look and see what I have in my rebounding list as I'm sure I just throw video after video in there.) Organization is not my strong point. AND by listening to the benefits of rebounding, makes me want to get back to it a little more. Thank you!!! For talking it up and bringing it back to front and center. Like Lili - every time I hear of the fires I think of you. And it's in our news over here just about daily now.

Lili: I do enjoy my Bellicon home subscription. They have added quite a few new videos since I was there last. I did a couple yesterday. I would like to add more in. I am back to "beginner" status (and I'm ok with that) cuz most of the bouncing just feels good! Get rid of that lymphatic build up.

Waves to Pam, Mena, Kay, Susan, Daphne and anyone else who may be reading!

1/4/2020: Bellicon 2 workouts. One was a dance workout (20 minutes) and the other one was a nighttime unwinding one or something like that. I am counting them as my mile walk. As I got in about 2500 steps (2000 is a mile for me) and it's part of the deal with myself. (One mile treadmill, rebounder, walking outside, elliptical ... just extra variety). I did follow it up with a 10 minute arm workout (Peloton) with my gal Christine.

So I'm 4/4/ on my one mile a day.
I am 4/4 on workouts in January.
I am 30 days straight on the Peloton app.
I've just passed 52 weeks with Peloton (app).
I just earned 2 new badges from Bellicon.

Why oh why do silly little badges make me so happy?

New Years/Holiday/Christmas party was fun. We left about 12:30 a.m. Myself and my coworker (other desk lady!) came in second place on the table shuffleboard. (Cash prizes!) YAY me ... Last year dh and I also came in 2nd. My bosses can throw one heck uva party.

Ok, gotta get busy doing nothing. Time to go read with my morning coffee.
Make it a great day!
Cleda