Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-13, 12:04 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Exercise induced asthma?

Does anyone here have it? What are/were your symptoms? Did a doctor have to run tests to help with the diagnosis?

Yesterday my workout was Cathe's Intensity, which I have done before. About 20 minutes in my chest felt very heavy and it was a little hard to breathe. I paused the dvd, walked around to catch my breath, and started up again. Within a minute my chest again felt heavy, I was short of breathe, and now there was a really thick and sticky mucus in my mouth/throat. I did the stop, catch my breath, and added in rinsing my mouth routine again. I started up again and same thing! Because I have really bad allergies and get frequent sinus infections and upper respiratory infections I have an albuterol inhaler because I get asthma like symptoms when i get sick. I took two puffs from the inhaler and waited about 10 minutes and felt loads better and was able to resume and finish my workout without further interruption.

Could this have been exercise induced asthma? I'm a high intermediate/advanced exercise so I don't think this was due to doing a workout that was beyond my capabilities. This is the second time i remember this happening and both times it was when I was doing a strenuous workout. This doesn't happen when I do steady state/less intense cardio.

I plan on contacting my doctor to see if he wants me to come in for an examination. I'm wondering if I'm thinking in the right direction or need to pursue other possibilities.

Thanks for your help!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 12:16 PM  
starbelly

I have allergy-induced asthma. If I plan to exercise outside where I will be exposed to allergens, I pre-treat with a puff or two of albuterol. If the air is very heavy due to heat and humidity, you are more likely to have trouble and should probably pre-treat if your doctor says that's OK. I didn't develop asthma until I was in my 30s so it is possible to develop it later in life. Your doctor can do a spirometry test to determine if you have asthma and your overall lung function. It isn't a fun test, but it is good to get an idea of where you stand.

I will say that I have had almost no trouble with asthma or allergies since I started taking a probiotic. In Ayurvedic medicine, problems like asthma are caused by too much ama in the gut. If you clean up your gut flora, you reduce your risk of things like asthma. I started taking it after a bout of food poisoning; the asthma/allergy thing was an unexpected and very welcome bonus.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 12:31 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
Does anyone here have it? What are/were your symptoms? Did a doctor have to run tests to help with the diagnosis?

Yesterday my workout was Cathe's Intensity, which I have done before. About 20 minutes in my chest felt very heavy and it was a little hard to breathe. I paused the dvd, walked around to catch my breath, and started up again. Within a minute my chest again felt heavy, I was short of breathe, and now there was a really thick and sticky mucus in my mouth/throat. I did the stop, catch my breath, and added in rinsing my mouth routine again. I started up again and same thing! Because I have really bad allergies and get frequent sinus infections and upper respiratory infections I have an albuterol inhaler because I get asthma like symptoms when i get sick. I took two puffs from the inhaler and waited about 10 minutes and felt loads better and was able to resume and finish my workout without further interruption.

Could this have been exercise induced asthma? I'm a high intermediate/advanced exercise so I don't think this was due to doing a workout that was beyond my capabilities. This is the second time i remember this happening and both times it was when I was doing a strenuous workout. This doesn't happen when I do steady state/less intense cardio.

I plan on contacting my doctor to see if he wants me to come in for an examination. I'm wondering if I'm thinking in the right direction or need to pursue other possibilities.

Thanks for your help!
Is the pollen particularly high in your area? I, too, have allergy-induced asthma, and it can crop up during exercise.
Old 07-15-13, 12:34 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
Is the pollen particularly high in your area? I, too, have allergy-induced asthma, and it can crop up during exercise.
It's been moderate. I take allergy medication daily.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 02:46 PM  
cfwb

When your "allergy bucket" (as my sister calls it) is full, things which wouldn't usually trigger as asthma attack suddenly might do so. Exercise induced asthma is pretty much what you described - exercise (and the heavier breathing associated with it) causes asthma symptoms (shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, tightness in your chest...). You may want to dial back your workouts until other allergens improve.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote