Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 05-19-04, 11:32 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

How to plan your own rotation

Hi everyone

I have posted variations of this plan elsewhere on the net with great feedback. I’ve made some edits to my original version based on these comments, so herewith my cleaned up and edited ultimate how to create your own rotation…

1) Basic Principles

* This system is for the most part based on what works best FOR ME, namely: 2-3 total body workouts per week and 3 cardio workouts per week. In many of these plans I do add in other extras, but the strength and cardio is the main workout of the day.

* A total body workout is: either one total-body tape done all the way through on the same day, or a separate upper and lower body workout done on two different days. As long as both upper and lower body are worked twice in a week, minimum, I am not concerned with how that breaks down.

* I agree with the experts that it’s not a good idea to work the same part of the body with weights two days in a row, and all of my plans follow that guideline. I do not consider Pilates workouts or workouts that do not use weights to be “strength workouts” in this category. In my opinion and based on my experience, these can be done any time, however I would not do two of them in a row either :-)

* Regarding workouts that are nearly entirely cardio but have “weight intervals” in them: my personal feeling is that the weight work in these routines are not intense enough, comprehensive enough or high rep enough o count as a strength workout. I would count these as cardio and simply do the weight exercises without using weights, or using only VERY light ones.

2) STEP ONE: Organize Your Workouts

Divide a piece of paper into 6 columns: upper body, lower body, total body, pilates or abs, stretch or relaxation, cardio, and other. Fill in the titles of all the workouts you own, in the appropriate columns.

3) STEP TWO: Pick a Rotation

Pick a template to follow and for every day, just plug in whichever workout you want from the category specified. For example if it is upper body day, you can do any workout from your upper body list.

1) Total Body

1- Total body workout
2- Cardio
3- Total body workout
4- Cardio
5- Total body workout
6- Cardio
7- Rest

PLUS one pilates or abs and one stretch or yoga at any point during the week

2) Split routine

1- Upper body
2- Cardio
3- Lower body
4- Cardio
5- Total Body
6- Cardio
7- rest

PLUS one pilates or abs and one stretch or yoga at any point during the week

3) Relaxation and Recovery

1- Total body
2- Cardio
3- Pilates, yoga or relaxation (30-60 min.)
4- Total body
5- Cardio
6- Pilates, yoga or relaxation (30-60 min.)
7- Rest

4) Two workouts per day

1- Upper body AND pilates or abs
2- Cardio AND stretch or relaxation
3- Lower body AND pilates or abs
4- Cardio AND stretch or relaxation
5- Total body AND lower body
6- Cardio AND stretch or relaxation
7- Rest

5) Super Hard-core

1- Upper body AND cardio
2- Lower body AND pilates or abs
3- Upper body AND cardio
4- Lower body AND pilates or abs
5- Upper body AND cardio
6- Lower body AND pilates or abs
7- Rest
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-04, 11:30 PM  
Nancita

Wonderful ideas

Joana:

I don't know if you are aware of the enormous help you bring to anyone reading your posts. You offer a lot of options. Thanks.

Since my life is very complicated (demanding job, husband and a 4 year old boy) I think the best plan for me would be the simplest one (cardio-strenght alternating, the first one you mentioned). I have BS1 (Ab Sculpt, Cardio Sculpt and Body Sculpt) and two DVD'S of BSS2 ("Aerobics with Weights" and "Maximum Cardio Burn plus Abs"). Do you suggest any rotation with these DVD's allowing me to incorporate other tapes? I have Leslie Sansone's walking tapes, Windsor Pilates, Yoga (Sara Ivanhoe, Baron Baptiste...) plain aerobics (Fat burning for Dummies, for example) and lots of abs workouts (I want those abs!, Abs Basic Workout for Dummies, to name a few).

Thanks for your help and PLEASE keep offering such smart advice!!!
Nancita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 12:26 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Nacita---thanks for the nice comments! I am glad you found my posts helpful. I am assuming based on what you said about your schedule that you only want to do one tape per day? If so, I would suggest the following for you:

1- Firm Total-Body (basically any of the ones you have except Ab Sculpt)
2- Cardio (Plain Aerobics) and short Abs or Pilates
3- Yoga workout
4- Repeat Day 1
5- Repeat Day 2
6- Repeat Day 3
7- Rest

If you can manage two short workouts in the day, I would alternate a Firm total-body with a plain aerobics for your main workout, and alternate yoga and pilates for your second workout.

Have fun!

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 02:45 PM  
Nancita

Thanks a lot

That's a great idea.

Even though two workouts per day is a lot for me I'll try it (maybe just for a couple of days per week).

Remember, all your ideas and suggestions are welcomed!!!

Nancita
Nancita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 10:32 PM  
macback99

Thanks!

Wow Joanna,

Thank you sooo much for these ideas and rotation breakdown...while i consider myself quite organized, I always end up letting my rotation plans fizzle out...sometimes it's just difficult to break down and pair up workouts. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your ideas, they really match how I try to develop my own rotations and I have cut and pasted your post into word and plan on using your breakdowns to develop my own workouts for a couple of weeks. Really appreciate it!

Catie
macback99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 08:24 AM  
missymac

Just what I needed!

Thank you for the great rotation schedule. I am new to this forum and to strength training. I have CTX and will do this for 4 weeks. Here is my question, My next rotation will be alternating cardio and weights. I have Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body. I need to find a VHS for lower body that is challenging. I like leaner legs, but I do not feel sore the next day. Can anyone recommend a good lower body tape for my weight rotation? Also, I am trying to add variety by not using another Cathe video. Thank you.
missymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 09:22 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

MissyMac - What about using Pyramid Lower Body or maybe Legs & Glutes from Cathe's Blast Series. I've never done Leaner Legs but I think most people call it MEANER legs because it's so hard - and you don't even get sore?? I'm impressed!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 11:59 AM  
missymac

I should clariify that by the time I get to the sit stands, I am shaky, but I am not sore the next day. Also, I only use a 10" step.
missymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 06:09 PM  
madgenius

Awesome Advice

Wow!

This is a really great piece of advice. I'm really just a newbie vidiot, but this is a really great way to offer structure to someone like me. I can't really do a whole lot, but a plan like this would help me to at least do what I can.

I also like what you said about splitting workouts. Given that I'm usually under a time crunch and don't wake up well, I can see where this would also help me make sure I get something in daily.

Thanks tons.

Jennifer
madgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-04, 09:22 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

You've done it again, Joanna!

Thanks for the great rotation guide and tips, Joanna.

Tags
faq, rotation