Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 11-06-03, 01:34 PM  
Videophile

Deleted

[Moderator note: much of the original content from this thread can be found here:

http://everythingrebounding2.blogspot.com ]
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 02:47 PM  
Bebop

Adapting non-rebounder specific workouts to the Rebounder.

Many hi/lo workouts are easily adaptable to the reboundair.
The rebounder makes jumping jacks, high jumps, plyos and jumping rope moves more "joint friendly" and easier to do - especially if you have flat feet or knee problems.

In Fact, it is my personal preference to use non-rebound specific workouts.

On the checkins you will find many adaptable workouts but here are a few of my personal favorites and the modifications I make:

1. Leslie Sansone - She is extremely adaptable to the rebounder. In fact, using the rebounder will up the intensity. You can just do the moves right in place or jog when she walks. When she is walking forward and back you can just jog in place or do a mambo step. Single side laterals can be done as scripted. Double side moves are tougher because the rebounder is not as wide as the floor. You can just continue to do singles or what ever the mood dictates.

Kickbacks are easily done as scripted as well as single kicks. Just have fun.

2. Prevention Walk Your Way Slim is a good one also. On this workout you are given 3 levels - follow level one pretty much as scripted - this will be similar to Leslie Sansone. Level Two and three add more jumps and jacks and twists which are easilyadaptable.

3. Cathe Friedrich hi/lo. ALthough the step routines would be difficult, I have adapted her Boot Camp workout from the intensity series. I just do the high impact cardio moves on the rebounder - except for the Sumo squats and Speed skaters.

Other people have adapted Cardio Kicks and other kickbox workouts to the rebounder - this requires good balance so I would get your "sea legs" before you attempt this first out.

4. Christie STill Jumpin - The music is great and a good beat for rebounding. Her choreography can get complicated but when all else fails just freesytyle to the music.

When adapting a workout just look for choreography that doesn't take up much space and music that makes you want to dance and move.

You can even put in a step workout that has great music and just freestyle.

The rebounder is also great for interval workouts. Here are a few examples to get you started:

5. Tom Holland's workout - during the 30 sec. cardio segments jump on the rebounder - if you do Jacks you'll really get your heart rate up.

6. Joyce Vedral interal workout. jump on the rebounder during the 30 sec cardio workouts (this workout is a lot of fun if you mute the soundtrack and use your own music.)

Firm/fitprime

Just use the rebounder during the cardio sections - don't use heavy weights.

7. Vol 1 - a classic - just jog and jack and plyo on the rebounder.

8. Susan Harris - Crunch Time - the non-four limb aerobic sections are adaptable as scripted - even those step up leg pushes on the step - I do the leg presses on the rebounder.

Any time you can't do a move just jog in place or health bounce.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:14 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Great thread, you guys! Thanks for posting.

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 12:43 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Another rebounder convert....

I do almost all high-impact stuff on the rebounder - anything on the floor with Cathe - most notably the plyo-scissors, plyo-jumps and a lot of the CTX kickbox stuff, some of the intervals in IM's and in Gin Miller's Intense Moves. I also do the Tom Holland cardio segments on the rebounder - in short, I think it's a great piece of equipment for those of us with arthritic knees, and it's not really too boring for the short intervals in which I use it. I traded away Champion Rebounding with Jerry james - it was just too monotonous for my taste, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who has knee trouble - it has made a huge difference to me in being able to get good cardio work in without a lot of impact.
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 01:12 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I wonder why the Urban Rebounder is not on bouncewell's "comparison list". Is it not considered a "high end" rebounder?

Question for you guys. I notice that some "experts" say your weight goes into your heels, and others say the balls of your feet. I can't stand bouncing on the balls of my feet, and the heels feel perfect. No problems. Just goes to show you how different we are anatomically!

Poll: heels or balls? (um, well, you know!)

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 01:35 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

missed it before! it's right there, duh. Gee, now I'm in the mood. Off to rebound!

Old 11-16-03, 05:10 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

thanks Nancy! You are always SO informative!

I tried using the balls of my feet more today, and regret it. It wasn't my calves at all, surprisingly, but I have this pain now on the top of my foot, running lengthwise. Exactly like when I got tendonitis from wearing a "boot" after surgery for 6 weeks. Because your foot is held tight, and kept from bending naturally when you walk, that tendon along the length of the top of the foot is stressed. But how that can happen in ONE workout? Sheesh. Obviously I was trying to use my feet in what, for me, was an unatural position, and they didn't like it. I still had a ball though, haha, since I didn't feel it until AFTER the workout. I did Champion Rebounding. I really like the kickboxing segment of that workout. I don't do the crescents though, I use a bent leg and "knee" instead. I am just not comfortable with doing these standing on that surface.

Old 11-17-03, 08:40 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

the crescent kick, is where you bring your leg up and around in a half circle. You step right, then your left leg does this circle across your body up and around and down on the outside. That is an inside crescent, the outside is the opposite, where you circle the let out then in. Sort of like Pilates leg circles, actually, except standing On a rebounder, that is tricky, and risky, so I keep the leg bent and do the circle.

Old 02-23-04, 11:48 PM  
horsemom2

another fan of resistance on the rebounder

I have more muscle definition now than I ever did lifting heavy and most of my resistance work has been light weights or even no weight isometrics while healthbouncing cuz the G force increases the effect.

Barb S
who also has less joint pain this way
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-04, 07:25 PM  
getstrong

UR Mat Changing Tips

Ok, here is my UR mat changing experience, and I sincerely hope you never need these tips!

First, which I learned last -- wear old clothes!! I ended up with black grease all over me. At the factory, I bet they grease the springs after they put the mat on.

Getting the old mat off is easy, using the spring puller provided with the UR rebounder. I was going to take it off as I put the new one on, but the loops in my new mat were so much smaller that I took the mat off so I could thread the metal strips into the new mat on a flat surface. That was a good idea.

Lineman's pliers work very well for pulling the metal strips out of the old mat, and threading them back into the new mat; it saves your fingers. They pulled out easily, but I had to do some wiggling to get them through the new loops. For me, the easiest way was to start with metal strips backwards - ends pointing in. Then when I had both loops threaded, I twisted the metal strip back into position, ends pointing out, or better yet, pointing up until you've put the springs on.

Getting the mat on was the hard part. Best advice, get a man. :rolleyes: I had planned to do it like tuning a drum or changing a tire -- opposites, but didn't have the strength, so I did one pair of opposites, then worked on one half. This seemed harder on the springs, but I didn't have much choice. After I did half, there was still no way I could do the opposite side, so I removed a few pairs in the middle of the half I had completed, to get some tension relief for the opposite side. I thought of it as having stretched part of the mat, now I'm going to release that and stretch the other part. That worked fine. Other hints:

- start with the springs at a leg, and it will be easy to tell what's opposite.

- take off the plastic spring caps - they make it hard to remove and especially to put on the springs. Lots of mine were missing, anyway. I'll plan to put the caps back on again, as they probably help keep the springs from popping out.

- hold the metal strip with the curved center facing up made it easier for me to get the spring over it. I ended up holding the metal strip in that position with my right (strong)hand. Good thing I'm somewhat ambidexterous.

===========

Edited to add Terri's mat experience (Glavtx) from Post #157 of March 2004 checkin:

"I got my rebounder mat changed

I sat on it, braced my feet against the frame, and pulled with both hands - and a spring finally came off! I took off one set, threaded the bar thing through the new mat, took off another right next to it, hooked the bar to it, then put them both back in place. Then I turned around and did the same thing on the opposite side, then did one on each side, and kept working back and forth. That way, I always had something to sit on, so I could use my legs for leverage with the pulling. The hardest part to me was threading the little bar through the loops, and I'd stuck it through all the new loops before I tried to take off the old mat to make sure they'd go through, so I thought they'd be loosened up.

I decided this would count as my weight workout, because I know it worked most of my body! Between the light weights with the LS yesterday, and this today, it's gotta count

I did get on the new mat to try it out, and ended up doing 40 minutes of rebounding to music. Bob Marley, of course!

The new mat's stiffer than the old one, but I guess it'll loosen up."

======
Edited 1/30/05 to add Nancy's link for Needak rebounder spring replacement instructions:

http://www.needakrebounders.com/Mat_...nstruction.htm

Last edited by getstrong; 01-30-05 at 03:32 PM. Reason: adding tips for changing springs
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything rebounding, rebounder friendly