Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 08-24-03, 05:44 PM  
Mallen

Quote:
Originally posted by Abbe G
The best way to mail a video is in the video box that the Post Office provides. I don't trust padded envelopes and have had videos cracked in them. I never had a problem with a box; it costs the same $1.42 to send media mail.
I always mail using the a video box from the post office. They're sturdy, and best of all, it's free. Just stuff a little crumpled up newspaper around the sides and on top to keep it from rattling around. However, make sure you wrap it in paper if you want to send it media mail.
Mallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 08:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Those boxes are free? Are you serious? Are those the ones that say "Caremail" on them?
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 08:29 PM  
Janet K.

They aren't actually free...

The regular video mailers that the post office sells and not free. I haven't asked in a long while, but I'm sure they were over $1.00 each last time I asked.

I believe the free boxes being referred to are the priority mail boxes. These aren't actually free either. They are provided for use only with priority mail, and the cost of the mailer is figured into the postage cost. If you're not mailing priority, then you're not paying for the mailer. I know a lot of people discovered these could be used for other postage rates by turning them inside out (that's why they now have "usps" stamped all over the inside), or covering them with paper. It's not actually a legitimate use though, and I believe is the reason the USPS has gotten picky about people who are trying to reuse boxes that have already been paid for in an honest attempt to recycle them.

Janet
Janet K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 08:56 PM  
Kimberly33

Re: Stamps add a little pizzazz to any parcel

Quote:
Originally posted by Lianne
(as Kimberley33 is soon to find out )

Lianne
OOooooh! I'm so glad I peeked in on this thread!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 02:30 PM  
Katharine

to Asia: I love customs...

OK, different from what everyone else was talking about: I always check the shipping method of a seller. I just ordered from Collage and am REALLY disappointed that the DVDs are being sent by airmail. Collage says that takes 1-3 weeks.

For me in Taiwan I have to factor in 2 extra days for customs tax. The first day is when someone calls me in Chinese, then hangs up when it's apparent my limited Mandarin doesn't reach to discussing customs duties. LOL! The second day is when they find an English-speaking agent, who asks me (incredulously) if the package was mislabeled... how could anyone be spending US$100 on DVDs? Isn't that a DVD player (triple the tax) in there? "No," I reply. I asked Collage to label the package "DVD disks only" to clear up the confusion. I don't know why they don't open it, or X-ray...

I ordered once from Cathe and she does Worldwide Priority Mail. Incredibly, it's not that expensive. My package arrived in 3 days (over a weekend). I was ecstatic. It's too bad that I couldn't find a new DVD I wanted from Cathe, because I love her work and the shipping. I searched all over, but CIA doesn't offer global priority mail, nor private sites like Janis Saffel or Gin Miller...
--Pouting because the wait is killing me... I love it, but I don't want to do Step Blast for the 31st time in 2 months...
Old 02-06-05, 06:35 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Automated Shipping Kiosks at US post office

A word of warning about the automated shipping kiosks at many US post offices: the scale at my local post office was off for a few days this week and adding about half a pound to the packages. To be on the safe side, try to weigh your package on a scale you know to be accurate before you get to the PO so you don't end up paying the wrong amount.

Other than that one problem I use the kiosks all the time and really like the convenience.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 12:25 PM  
flowergirl

how many stamps should i use.....?

Just wondering....when sending 1 VHS tape in a normal bubble envelope...how many stamps would i need? I put 11 on one mailing one VHS tape.....is that enough? My stamps are .37 cents each...so equals $4.07. Should i put 14 for mailing 2 DVDS? Need help with calulating stamps! This is not for express mail..just the basic 7 day mailing through my mail box...someone let me know please! Thank you!!

Daisy
flowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 12:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I've never seen this thread before--thanks!

Daisy, as mentioned upthread, the amounts vary. However, before they raised the postage rates, I generally used 3 60-cent stamps ($1.80) to mail a single VHS, and I never had any problems. If you are trying to use up your remaining 37-cent stamps, I'm guessing that 6 ($2.22) would be plenty for most VHS (probably more than you need) and about 4 ($1.48) for each single DVD (again, probably more than you need).

For more information, take a look at these charts: http://www.usps.com/consumers/domestic.htm

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 12:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Just thought I'd add the updated media mail rates: $1.59 for up to 1 pound, $2.07 for up to 2 pounds. The USPS web site says to write "media mail" in the postage area.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 12:43 PM  
flowergirl

how many stamps??

i replyed earlier...not sure if it showed up/.....im wondering- if im mailing only using stamps, how many do i use for 1 VHS or 1 DVD....I used 11 stamps this morning for 1VHS package (normal bubble package) and I need to mail 2 DVDS in one package. Will I need the same amount of stamps? My stamps are .37 cents each. I'm mailing through the US only (basic 7 day mail). Can someone help me on calulating stamps? Did I use too many? The packages are not heavy...just wondering. Mailing them through my mailbox at home....thank you!!

Daisy
flowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything, faq, postage, shipping