Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 08-23-03, 01:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Thought of more:

1. Delivery confirmation (with media mail, at least) is 40 cents.
2. If you print a mailing label and tape it to the envelope, use clear tape to cover the whole thing to prevent smudging.

Anyone know how much first-class postage is for one video? I know some people prefer to use that.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 03:38 PM  
anwen
VF Supporter

It costs $1.98 to ship a video 1st class. Here's a link to USPS's domestic rates and fees (which also includes the fees for delivery confirmation, insurance, etc).

Wendy, I vote for Video/DVD FAQs and/or Exchange Rules & Tips.
anwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 06:21 PM  
Janet K.

Don't think you can say for first class

First class varies a lot because the price is based on the number of ounces. The length of the tape and the size of the envelope used can vary this enough that I always get first class packages weighed. You're probably safe to throw on the $1.98 in most cases because that's good for up to 8 oz, but you're likely overpaying. Oh, and if you're over 1 lb, first class isn't an option and you have to go to priority.

That's the other nice thing about media mail. The price structure is based on pounds, so anything up to 1 pound is $1.42. I've always been able to send up to two videos for that price in a padded envelope (obviously, a box could push it over the 1 lb mark). The only exceptions would probably be very long/heavy videos like the longer CIAs. You can go up to 2 lbs (4 vids) for $1.84.

Janet
Janet K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 07:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I think I've mailed two videos, in a padded envelope that held both, and it was still $1.42. Two CIAs, I think.

Thanks for pointing that out though, that longer videos will be heavier. That never occurred to me!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 08:01 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

The best way to mail a video is in the video box that the Post Office provides. I don't trust padded envelopes and have had videos cracked in them. I never had a problem with a box; it costs the same $1.42 to send media mail.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 08:20 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

Stamps add a little pizzazz to any parcel

I'm not kidding, after they weigh the parcel and tell me how much it is going to cost, I say "Can I have that in stamps, please." And not just the boring everyday stamps, but whatever the current limited issue is, if possible. I just think that stamps are more fun and attractive than one of those boring white labels. Even though sometimes I end up licking a lot of stamps (as Kimberley33 is soon to find out )

Lianne
Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 01:07 PM  
Francesca

OK, I'll stick in a bit about shipping to Europe! Having had almost 40 trades with the US, I can tell you that a video costs max $6.05 to mail to Europe in a padded envelope, first class airmail, and can cost less - about $5.00 - and takes a week to 10 days to get to you from Europe. I always wrap the vid in extra bubble too.

DVDs I think are under $4.00. The cotto wool is a good idea, I received one floating in its box, which ludkily survived.

Don't trust the USPS website! Someone pulled out of a trade with me because the website said it cost $11 to mail to me. Even in a box, a video never cost that much.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 02:32 PM  
anwen
VF Supporter

Assuming that the video package weighs 8 oz, according to USPS's Airmail Letter Post Rate Table, shipping costs between $2.35-$7.10, depending on the country the tape is being shipped to. Or, one can use the site's international calculator. In this case an 8 oz. airmail package to, let's say France, costs $6.40 .
anwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 02:35 PM  
Francesca

Thanks, Anwen, in that case I apologise to the USPS website Maybe my would-be trade inputted the wrong rate - like I said, even Super Callanetics (older tape and heavy) didn't cost more than $7.00 to get to me....
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 03:32 PM  
bethlee

Europe - U.S.; Priority

In a trade with a vfer in italy: her tapes to me arrived, ground, in a week, while my tapes to her, estimated at 3-6 weeks, had not yet arrived by week four.

for the 2nd trade, i sent two tapes, but because I felt so bad about the time lag to her, this time I sprang for airmail. That was close to $11, but I was told it would be a week.

Priority from Fort Wayne (1/4 million with an airport) to Seattle took four days. Media mail appears to be taking 2-3. Save the money.

beth do I sound aggrieved? lee
bethlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything, faq, postage, shipping