Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-03, 03:49 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

(Hopefully) The "everything shipping" thread!

I know we all ship a LOT, I thought maybe we could have a thread with ALL the shipping info we have to help those who are new to the exchange, or just have questions. I don't really have anywhere to gather it from though, so I'll start, and hopefully others will add on. I'm kind of hoping this could be a sticky to the exchange or maybe be added to the FAQs

Forgive me if it already exists!

Here goes:

1. The best way to ship one video (in my experience) is using a 6X9 padded envelope.
2. Media mail for one video is $1.42
3. First class for one DVD is $1.09 (I think that's the case all over the U.S.)
4. When mailing a DVD, if the case is the type that doesn't hold the disc in place, a cotton ball over the center of the disc keeps it from coming loose.
5. Save packing materials (envelopes, bubble wrap, etc.) to reuse!

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to add on!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 03:51 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Make sure to use the zip + 4 to help ensure prompt delivery (for US addresses).

http://www.usps.com/zip4/
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 04:00 PM  
horsemom2

extremely important

when shipping a video, make sure the video is secured in its cover by wrapping something around the open end so the video doesn't slip out of the box and expose a corner to damage. I have received 2 damaged videos because of this slippage. The good news is I was able to fix them both by replacing the removable cracked flaps with flaps from other videos.

also make sure the loose end of the envelop is very secure with extra tape cuz I received an envelop that had been opened and resealed by the post office with one of the two shipped videos missing.

Barb S
who found shipping 3 videos the same price as 2 with media mail so send someone a freebie video if you have the urge
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 04:06 PM  
DD1

For Canadian shippers - I've actually found that it is cheaper to ship to the States than to Canada. Figure that one out

If you are trading with someone in Canada and customs decides they want to open the package, it can take a month to get your video.

I don't know if this applies for all Canadians, but I cannot get delivery confirmation when shipping to the States

Dee
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 06:06 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

Canadian option

Don't think it is the same as delivery confirmation but you can now get insurance and tracking on your parcels to the US, it is called 'expedited' service and it's sometimes the same as regular parcel post...

Charlene

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 06:53 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Pratima, this is a wonderful idea. I wll add a link to this to the "everything everything" sticky.

Regarding shipping to Canada:

Shipping by air mail from the U.S. costs the same to Canada as it would to a U.S. address. I had one trader report this was not true but it later turned out she had used media mail, which is not the same as air mail. Imho shipping costs should not deter an American from trading with a Canadian. It costs the same.

On the customs slip, put a value of $20 or less and under explanation, write "used video (or dvd as applicable) no commercial value" and you should be fine.

Air mail takes 7-10 business days. I have found for myself that 9 times out of 10 it takes exactly one week, but it CAN take up to 2 depending. There will also be times when it is afster on one end the the other---where the American will get it a few days before the Canadian or vice versa. This is normal. Generally I start to worry after two weeks.

Hope that helps. And thanks pratima for the great idea. I will add this to the index as I said.

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 07:11 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Joanna
I wll add a link to this to the "everything everything" sticky.
Where is the "everything everything" sticky?

GR
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 07:25 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Nearly all the "Everything" threads are stickied in the Video/DVD/FAQ section of the forum. The "Everything Everything" index thread is there too. Here is a direct link:

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...threadid=33959

We are up to 7 "Everything" thread (not all of them by me) and the two DVD index threads (Chaptering Index and Upcoming Releases) make 9 int eh "Everything Everything" index. Not bad! Feel free to use the "Everything Everything" thread to request future topics too.

Didn;t mean to hijack your thread, Pratima. Just trying to make it as easy as possible for people to acess all this great FAQish stuff----this thread included! :-)

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 07:18 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I'd like to move this to the FAQ section

but do you all think it would be more logical to put it in the Video DVD FAQ or the VF and forum software FAQ?

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 07:23 AM  
CJ 5

Has anyone ever had to make a claim on media mail added insurance? I lost a video in the mail and would like to know how things went.
CJ 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything, faq, postage, shipping