Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-19, 09:09 AM  
leigh1673

As a fellow curly, I can attest that a good stylist is worth their weight in gold. I'd stay with my girl even if the salon jacked the prices up every time I went (and I go every 8 weeks or so).

You're only going once/twice a year? Heck yeah I'd bite the bullet and just go.

Quote:
I am wondering how to explain why I went somewhere else, though. Any advice? Thank you!
It is VERY unlikely that they will ask why you went somewhere else. Before I settled on my current stylist, I rotated between 3 different salons when I first moved to this area 6 years ago, and nobody ever mentioned why I hadn't been there in such-and-such time frame.

On the very off-chance that they do mention it, you don't owe them any explanation whatsoever.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 09:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

If I were you, I would definitely go. And you should not have to explain or apologize for trying a different salon. They are providing a service and you shopped around to see if you could find a similar service at a lower price. That is perfectly acceptable!

I would imagine the receptionist just isn't used to people calling about pricing. I do think it's a little odd that they would charge more for products, or that they can't give you a fixed price, but whatever.

I agree with the others that you wear your hair everyday and you go to the salon so seldom that it seems worth it to pay more to get the cut you want. But please don't feel like you need to feel badly for asking about pricing or shopping around. The relationship you have with a stylist is professional, not personal. They are performing a service and you are compensating them accordingly. You are worth it!

If you really feel the need to explain why you went elsewhere, you could simply say, "last time I tried a different salon, but I think you do a better job." Done.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 09:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I say just go to the great guy. It's your head, your hair and it would be the great haircut you see in the mirror.

I think you are worth way more than a few extra bucks for a haircut.

Also, the way I see it you didn't "cheat" - it's a business relationship and the salon has made that clear from my point of view. I bet nobody will even ask.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 10:16 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it It just makes me uncomfortable. I think my main problem is that their website is not honest. If you are going to charge more for longer hair or using extra products, that price should be right there on the website. You should not find that out at the visit, you should know that ahead of time.

wishiwasinhawaii-I never thought about it being hard to find someone to cut straight hair, but then I remembered an acquaintance with that situation.
My son had a friend when he was in preschool who's family had moved to Central NJ from New York. I remember she said she was going to travel back to NYC to get her hair cut because she couldn't find anyone here who knew how to cut her hair thick very straight hair well. I think she eventually found someone, but it took years!

For any fellow curlies, I just tried a different product line from Shea Moisture, and I think I really like it. I need to use it more to decide. It is the Manduka honey and yogurt line, and the bottles have a blue label. I found the conditioner in Walmart, tried it and loved it. It is for VERY dry hair. I ordered the shampoo, a deep conditioner protein treatment (never tried a protein treatment before) and gel oil to use for styling. I worried the gel oil would be too sticky for my very fine hair, but it seems to be drying nicely without any crunch. I just used that for the first time today. They have some products on Walmart's site, Target and Ulta, and I think Sally's Beauty Supply.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 10:57 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I can definitely see straight hair being really challenging, as well as curly. With straight hair, there's nowhere to hide! The stylist has to be very precise. My husband and one of my sons have stick straight hair. It's much less forgiving than mine and my other sons (we both have some natural wave), and needs to be cut more often.

As for pricing on their website, I agree that they need to be more transparent. Providing a pricing range for services would be more forthright, rather than adjusting what they charge once you get in the door.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 11:14 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

When I've tried another stylist and then come back, I say I had it cut while I was on vacation.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 11:36 AM  
Scorpio6

Honestly, I am living in a large metro area (STL) and I have NEVER seen a salon jack up the price from one visit to the next! These ppl are taking advantage. And since by his own admission, your rave review brought him a lot of extra business, I would ask for a discount in consideration of the business you brought him. If he won't give it to you, then I would go home and delete that rave review. After all, that extra business means they're doing well enough they shouldn't have to raise price to make up for lack of business.

If you go one more time, be sure to ANALYZE to the best of your ability what this price-gouger does while cutting your hair that you think makes the cut so fantastic.
Does he do a sales job while cutting, what does he say?
Is he cutting in sections?
Does he use a razor?
Does he thin out the back more than the sides or top? Ask him.
Ask if your hair grows more thickly in one place than another. Pump him for all
the information you can. Don't just sit there and enjoy the feel good personal attention price gouging. Treat it as an educational session.
Does he use more than (1) kind of scissors?

I knew a girl in high school who cut her own hair by rolling it up and she cut each roller section before final roll and fastening the roller. I used to cut (and color) my own hair after observing how a high-priced "artist" did it. There are alternatives to giving somebody else your hard earned money.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 11:40 AM  
buffmama

When buffboy was an infant I went to one stylist. Then for years I didn't go to her. Recently I went back and she also cuts buffboy's hair. No questions were ever asked and she's great with buffboy.
Old 10-02-19, 11:44 AM  
BunnyHop

I feel your pain!

My hair is long, and I've been delaying a trip to the salon specifically because the stylist is good, but not really thrilled that I only get a trim every year or two. I get it, they make more money if you show up more often, but still. My hair, my head.

I guess I mostly dislike the entire salon experience. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable. The fact that it's increasingly expensive is a problem because it's not as though I had any success cutting my own hair.

I've had some seriously bad cuts in my lifetime so I'm really skittish about trusting people to do the job.

In your situation, I guess I'd just save my pennies and go, but definitely talk to the stylist about how their pricing policies seem geared to discouraging you from going back.
Old 10-02-19, 11:57 AM  
sherry7899

Scorpio, I do not think the salon is taking advantage. It is a specialized cut that they spend 75 to 90 minutes doing. Other salons who do it charge about the same. If I took the train to the flagship salon in NYC, the same cut would cost more than twice as much!

The stylist never tried to push any products on me. He explains what he is doing through the whole thing and shows me how to style it myself.
I think it would be really petty to delete my review. Besides, many others have posted positive reviews after me.

There is no way I would try to cut my own hair. It would be a disaster!

Anna, I do not enjoy the experience either. I am very self conscious sitting there.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote