Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-19, 09:44 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
As for the MLM aspect, ugh, I wish they'd do away with that entirely. NOBODY needs a protein powder that costs... what, like $130? The good news is that I think some people are wising up to the predatory nature of MLMs, Beachbody included.
Yeah, I have an acquaintance that got sucked into that element of it, at the detriment of other promising career avenues, and while she seems to really enjoy the motivational fitness element of it and goes on coach trips and stuff, I'm so sad that her FB has turned into just trying to get people to sign on with her instead of legit updates about her own life. MLMs are just the worst, honestly. It's like joining a cult that steals all your money and promises you things it will never deliver.
Old 06-21-19, 10:09 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I was just reading this about Beachbody: https://www.reddit.com/r/antiMLM/com...theyre_not_my/

They're just another slimy MLM.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 10:15 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I enjoy my BOD subscription! The new programs that have come out recently (80 Day Obsession, LIIFT 4, and Live 21 Day Fix) are really good! They're only available to stream though, no dvds were released. I'm not sure Beachbody is going to release dvds anymore, they seem to be streaming only.

Jericho McMathews is coming out with a new program later this year too that looks really interesting. It's supposed to have a DJ playing music. I think that's what's been missing from the newer programs....music. Here's a link to more information about that program:

https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/bl...g-meltdown-100

I came back to add that all of these programs have modifiers. I like that a lot because I'm not doing high impact anymore (getting too old!)
I'm with Kathy as far as BBOD. I don't buy anymore of their DVDs and as she said, some of the streaming workouts aren't even available.
80 Day Obsession is amazing and challenging!
LIIFT 4 is really pretty decent and can be challenging with the right weights.

I haven't tried the others yet, but I have had no issues whatsoever with the streaming fees or renewals.

The few times I did buy DVDs - Tony's One on One series - I had no problems either. I apparently have a Beachbody coach assigned to me but I never talk to him.

Guess it's kind of hit and miss with them? Perhaps they have improved service over the years?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 10:42 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Yeah, I have an acquaintance that got sucked into that element of it, at the detriment of other promising career avenues, and while she seems to really enjoy the motivational fitness element of it and goes on coach trips and stuff, I'm so sad that her FB has turned into just trying to get people to sign on with her instead of legit updates about her own life. MLMs are just the worst, honestly. It's like joining a cult that steals all your money and promises you things it will never deliver.
Could not agree more.

My (former) best friend changed from a cool, fun person with an advanced degree and a GREAT, respected, very well-paying job to a walking-talking shill for <insert MLM name here>. She's alienated countless of our friends with her obsession over "making sales."

She claims she's making enough $$ selling her overpriced products (yes, she quit her job) to make almost as much as she made working full time for the government, but I have my doubts.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 11:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm glad some folks are still finding enjoyment and value in the BBOD service. I had purchased a yearly subscription through iTunes and before it expired I cancelled. (After reading this thread, I did check iTunes to make sure it had been cancelled.) It was my only fitness/workout subscription and I don't miss it.

ETA: One thing that riled me up was that I had downloaded about 30 of the workouts on to my iPad. With the last big app update, all my downloads disappeared. #$#&@%@%%!!!

Yup, Gams, BB was ultra sleazy with their billing for years. I always went though Mary if I could.

Years ago, they gave whole packets of the Shakeology mixes away at fitness conventions. (Now you just get to taste a mini paper cup.) I thought all the flavors were foul. The poots they produced were foul, too.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 12:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Could not agree more.

My (former) best friend changed from a cool, fun person with an advanced degree and a GREAT, respected, very well-paying job to a walking-talking shill for <insert MLM name here>. She's alienated countless of our friends with her obsession over "making sales."

She claims she's making enough $$ selling her overpriced products (yes, she quit her job) to make almost as much as she made working full time for the government, but I have my doubts.
I, too, lost a friend over a MLM scheme. I didn't like the products, but she kept foisting samples on me. She badgered me and wanted me to hook her up with my friends and relatives. That ruined our friendship.

I don't care if someone is trying to make some cash, but if I say NO, I mean NO.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-19-19, 10:55 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Old(er) Thread Alert!

I went over to the Dysfunctional Parrot site after someone mentioning him in another BB thread. I had no idea that he had written an article on the same subject!

https://dysfunctionalparrot.com/heal...-then-and-now/

Interesting...

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-19-19, 11:33 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've had several Beachbody programs in the past and I always seemed to tire of the sameness of them. My most recent was Chalene's PiYo which always had a commercial or plug for Shakeology. Honestly, the idea of the system was always better than the actual product.

As far as MLMs, I loathe them. I hate the way they prey on people and are so overpriced. I've had many friendships that have ended because a person's friend or acquaintance group is only potential customers.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 01:19 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Old(er) Thread Alert!

I went over to the Dysfunctional Parrot site after someone mentioning him in another BB thread. I had no idea that he had written an article on the same subject!

https://dysfunctionalparrot.com/heal...-then-and-now/

Interesting...
That quote about Brazil Butt Lift is funny!

Those seem like good points, but if I think about it, they apply to most fitness video content out there, DVD and streaming included.

I have been looking at the Cosgroves books again and how they define a difference between “exercise” and “workout”. Exercise is general fitness, staying active in a variety of ways. But a workout, they say, is working towards specific improvement in strength and conditioning. Many video workouts are just “exercise” after a while, which is fine and good, because we need regular activity every day, but if you are already somewhat fit and want to improve, I feel like you have to look for a system that you can somewhat personalize to get you there, use different equipment or get help from a trainer.

On the other hand, Beach Body is mostly marketing to an increasingly overweight and unfit population who really will get great benefits from popping in a video and doing anything at all. Another reason why their advertising with before and afters continues to be kind of sleazy.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 02:22 PM  
rhbrand

The MLM aspect of Beachbody is really turning me off. Like really. I get so many DMs on Instagram trying to get me to join under this person, or that person, it turns me off. The research I've seen, something like 90% of people in an MLM either lose money or barely break even.

Beachbody probably would do almost as well just selling their stuff without the MLM portion. Mainly cause people totally put off by MLMs might try Beachbody when they won't touch it now due to the MLM aspect of it.

Tags
bbod, beachbody, bod, mlm, scams