Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-18, 10:15 AM  
anjabear

Smile Results Essentrics/Classical Stretch 6 weeks

I did a personal experiment using Essentrics and Classical Stretch workouts. Here's what I did and the results I got.

I did :60 per day, 6 days a week for 6 weeks.

There were only a couple days in which I did less than :60.

I did Margaret Richards Getting Better a six times; just the bicep, chest and tricep sections, which is :09 each time.

I walked my dog daily 1-2 miles. I did 3 hikes with a friend, regular pace, visiting.

I used 14 different CS or Essentrics Workouts, or 3 episodes of CS put together to make an hour workout. I mixed it up. As an aside, my favorite are the more current Essentrics workouts from 2010 forward. I have seasons 8-12 which I also like a lot.

Results:
-.32% body fat
-.5" bust
+ .25" right thigh
-.25 above each knee
+ .5 right calve
-.5 #

So my fat moved some, and I lost 1/2 a pound overall. Not bad for being over Thanksgiving.

The real significant results IMHO are these:
--I now get out of bed to use the toilet and don't even think about what joint is going to tweak. I just get up and walk.
--I walk much looser, literally I feel like I'm unbound.
--I can sit on a meditation cushion strait up and feel okay, not like I'm fighting to sit that way.
--I retained my strength
--I have less bodily pain
--I was much less sore due to workouts although I did get DOMS from some of my Essentrics workouts. They definitely can work you as you can execute the moves to go deeper, reach further and such. Also doing an hour a day for 6 days a week for six weeks was hard.

Something about me:
-I'm 56
-have one total hip replacement, have (MRI shown) back issues from top to bottom of various sorts (another aside which is relevant, my hip replacement is on the right side and that is also the side that gained on both my calve and upper thigh). My other hip has places of no cartilage.
-I'm on no meds at all
-I was doing almost exclusively kettlebells before starting this experiment with Andrea Du Cane of The Kettlebell Goddess, and some Lauren Brooks.

The last half week of my experiment I was getting antsy and decided to do a HoCo 101 Dec and then again, so twice during last week. OMG, I'm still sore and not in a good way. I have taken two full days off before I did my measurements and figured my bodyfat.
BTW I used to be a master fitness trainer in the Army NG and so use their method and calculations to establish my bodyfat.
It's fairly accurate. I've been monitoring my bodyfat and other measurements for a long time. Some of the "other" measurements are the ones that changed and I listed above.

I highly encourage people to try an experiment for yourself with CS/Essentrics if you are hurting and want to be able to move better and in less/no pain.

I do miss my other workouts...I think for the next month, I'll do a half Essentrics and half _____. We shall see. I'll post next month after or on the 10th of January since I measure completely once a month
Old 12-10-18, 10:40 AM  
Non-Dancer

Very impressive results. I must try this. Thank you for posting.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 10:42 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Congrats, great results! When your workouts improve your overall quality if life, it’s magic!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 12:21 PM  
gladgirl

Smile

Wonderful, wonderful results! And in 6 weeks!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 01:02 PM  
Margot

Congratulations anjabear on your amazing results in only 6 weeks! It's truly inspiring.

Getting rid of any aches and pains can help us feel better, both physically and mentally. Essentrics got me though a tough period when I could barely walk with such painful feet. I believe it's one program I'll never stop doing.
Old 12-10-18, 01:44 PM  
donnamp

Thanks for sharing. I dabble in CS but your post has inspired me to think about trying a similar experiment.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 02:21 PM  
Scorpio6

Could you please share the Army's method for measuring body fat/measurements the way you did? Thanks!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 03:30 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Wow, Julia. That's awesome! Yay for feeling better in your body.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 07:01 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Great results, congrats!

The one that hit home with me is "I have less bodily pain". For the past few months I've been plagued by aches and pains all over my body and in my joints. I have tons of Essentrics/CS sets and individual DVDs - some of which I've never done. In the past I've made it a point of picking a Season and doing episodes 1-30 every night for 30 days and I felt better. I have Season 9 and 10 that I haven't done yet and I'll start with one of these. You've inspired me to do it again starting tonight. My goal is to have less general body ache. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-10-18, 07:22 PM  
DCW

I am coming up on an anniversary with Essentrics.

I love it. It helps me feel better. I use to treat myself with 2 hour massages to try to alleviate pain and muscle aches, muscle cramps, etc. Massages were a treat and few and far between.

Daily Essentrics has eliminated my back pain so much that I may have a twinge twice a year. I can't imagine not doing Essentrics. I exercise to feel better. I mark episodes to match my day. This one for feet. This one after raking. Another one after boot camp. I can continue to do what I want with Essentrics.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, classical stretch, essentrics