Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-16, 07:40 AM  
Tugger31

High Impact Shoes

I often have sore feet, no medical problem, just in general from standing long periods of time at work.

I'm looking for some new workout shoes that will help absorb impact from high impact workouts but aren't too heavy. I want to be light on my feet during high impact but don't want to sacrifice cushion.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 07:50 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I often have sore feet, no medical problem, just in general from standing long periods of time at work.

I'm looking for some new workout shoes that will help absorb impact from high impact workouts but aren't too heavy. I want to be light on my feet during high impact but don't want to sacrifice cushion.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I absolutely love the Adidas Pure Boost X Trainer. Loads of arch support. It feel like I'm walking on clouds. My favorite sneaker ever.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 08:09 AM  
Tugger31

How are they for high impact workouts such as Insanity? Does the cushion wear out quick from pounding/impact b/c they're foam??

I've read a Sean T website and he says he does Insanity barefoot at home. This hurts my feet just reading it. He says highly cushioned shoes can affect how you land during plyometrics and cause knee injury. So I'm a bit confused as to which direction to go....more cushion, no cushion??? No way I'm working out barefoot. (I workout on berber carpet over a cement floor in the basement, minimal carpet padding, or so old it's worn out by now!)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 09:16 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I have foot problems and wear orthotics so I can't wear the memory foam shoes and have no opinion on them, but I can't imagine working out barefoot. I used to do karate and the dojo I went to trained on a hardwood floor barefoot and I believe that is what caused my foot problems. I guess some people can do that for years with no problems (like Sean T. and my karate teacher who is in his 60's), but everyone is different and I wish now that I had never done that. JMHO.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 09:30 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I have 3 pairs of K-Swiss X-160s. I wouldn't be without them!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 09:46 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
How are they for high impact workouts such as Insanity? Does the cushion wear out quick from pounding/impact b/c they're foam??

I've read a Sean T website and he says he does Insanity barefoot at home. This hurts my feet just reading it. He says highly cushioned shoes can affect how you land during plyometrics and cause knee injury. So I'm a bit confused as to which direction to go....more cushion, no cushion??? No way I'm working out barefoot. (I workout on berber carpet over a cement floor in the basement, minimal carpet padding, or so old it's worn out by now!)
Never done insanity. I've jumped-roped a bunch with them and walked for miles and miles. They've held up well for me. They are cushy though, so if you're looking for something un-cushy, these aren't for you. I personally like them for just about everything except some strength training stuff like deadlifts.

As for Sean T's advice, I would need some back-up research. He also recommends doing his high intensity, high impact workouts 5 days per week, doesn't he? That would make me take the other things he says with a big grain of salt.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 01:21 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Tugger, thanks for opening this thread! A while back I was wondering about these shoes, unfortunately I didn't get any feedback, but maybe still something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I have 3 pairs of K-Swiss X-160s. I wouldn't be without them!
Sabine, do you use them for weight lifting and metabolic workouts as well, or just cardio, what about plyo stuff? TIA.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 01:36 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Sabine, do you use them for weight lifting and metabolic workouts as well, or just cardio, what about plyo stuff? TIA.
I use them for every type of workout I do (except yoga). I find they're not necessary for weight lifting. However I consider them essential for all other types of workouts. I especially love them for cardio workouts with higher impact. I have cranky knees and these make higher impact workouts doable and enjoyable.

Amazon has the best price that I've found. If you decide to order, order a half size up. I wear a 7.5 in other shoes and wear an 8 in this shoe.

I just realized I actually own 4 pairs of these shoes. I forgot I just got the aqua pair!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 01:43 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I use them for every type of workout I do (except yoga). I find they're not necessary for weight lifting. However I consider them essential for all other types of workouts. I especially love them for cardio workouts with higher impact. I have cranky knees and these make higher impact workouts doable and enjoyable.

Amazon has the best price that I've found. If you decide to order, order a half size up. I wear a 7.5 in other shoes and wear an 8 in this shoe.

I just realized I actually own 4 pairs of these shoes. I forgot I just got the aqua pair!
Thank you so much Sabine, very helpful!! Lovely color options too, which is awesome! And... They ship to Canada!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 10:29 PM  
nschultz

Sabine
After your recommendation, I was in the market for a new pair of workout shoes, I ordered the K-Swiss silver pair. I really liked the aqua, but I couldn't pass up the price on the silver's.
Thanks!
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, shoes for high impact, shoes for plyometrics