Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-15, 12:14 PM  
beth22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Music doesn't bother me - I tune it out, so it's not that. It's more the moves, the way they are put together... I like the workout the first through, then I put it in for a second time, and I can't stand it. So weird.
I'm the exact same way. Something about her workouts doesn't click with me. Her weighted moves are so awkward. The only workouts I've gotten consistent use out of are Cardio Blast (I think that's what it's called - one workout is 30 minutes of step the other is plyometrics), 30MTF Stepboxing, and her new Lean Body Circuits. All her other workouts I've done once and then go to do them again and am like "meh".

I'm really looking forward to ICE. I'm with others in the hope that Cathe's not just considering them "intermediate" because there's a modifier. I truly hope that the workouts, themselves, are intermediate.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-15, 01:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I think what may have prompted comment is the reference to Cathe as a role model. FitBoop clarified her post to mean her fitness only and not the medical "help" to areas that aren't affected by an exercise program or eating regimen. I'm a fan of Cathe (and KCM) for their persistence and fitness professionalism in their 50s and hopefully beyond, not because either or both may have decided to have work done outside the realm of fitness.

Oh, and I'm past 50 and don't have noticeable wrinkles either. Diligent and perhaps obsessive sunscreen use for 25+ years helps that, plus a good ol' dose of genetics! So you never know.

I'm looking forward to ICE. There's no one better at producing a good, solid workout than Cathe, IMHO.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-15, 03:12 PM  
Sultana

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Is it Kelly's music? Cathe' s isn't always great but KCM's makes me want to rip off my ears...in fact I Joni-O'd Muscle Up yesterday. As soon as the warmup was done and that awful muzak started droning I did my " yeah no" and hit eject.
O my gosh! I've been on a KCM kick all month and was thinking it was fine/never annoying/sometimes great.
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 03:40 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Normal people don't age backwards and while I'm sure you ladies look splendid.... I've never met a 50 year old that didn't look at least 40, maybe we'll meet some day so you can prove me wrong. There were discussions of cathe's figure that her company responded to. Whether it was full time or temporary enhancement is irrelevant to whether we are using something real or an illusion as a role model.

Great to want to look good for ourselves, but still not sure why we have to comment on the instructor's looks so much.

Not everyone can look like that and not everyone feels good at such low body fat. But most of all, as Cindy Crawford said- even she doesn't look like Cindy Crawford. It was also very interesting to see her comments on some unflattering photos- it simply didn't match the picture she had of herself in her head, she didn't see those flaws that were in the unflattering photos. So even supermodels are comparing themselves to something that doesn't exist. We are using an image that doesn't exist as a role model.

There was also a comment that inferred that all women can be as fit (and be thin (lean) like Cathe) if they worked out hard and worked on their "nutrition". That's the part that I take greatest disagreement with. In her time, Cathe has discussed supplements and we ain't talking fish oil. Again, that is up to her, but it is important to know that if someone wants to consider her role model. But I'm guessing many women wouldn't have Cathe's physique if they did her exact workouts and ate a similar diet for their height.

I don't care if instructors are role model material - I can enjoy their workouts regardless. I'd be more impressed if she ran her business more professionally.

Anyhow, I really hope these make it to the amazon rentals. I just don't do workouts enough times to make it worth paying over $20 a dvd and the latest "premixes" haven't been premixes.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 08:49 AM  
dnna

thank you, Lynne O.!! You wrote everything I was thinking about how I could be lean ( skinny) if I just did the workouts and nutrition. Seriously I have tried that so many times, and I actually succeeded but did not "see" the success because I did not look like the instructor. I was quite wrapped up in that cycle for a long, long time.
Not at 65 I have a better idea of what lean and fit look like on me, and I am MUCH happier for it. and I would wish that on younger women who are not happy with how they look. and it is mostly "look" I think for many.

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 11:00 AM  
momof10

LynnO - I totally get what you are saying about Cathe. Not everyone can get the same look she does. The role model thing the others are talking about is Cathe's commitment to fitness and her aspirations to continue doing her DVDs. I know she gets paid for doing all that, but I think she would still be doing what she does even if she wasn't getting paid for it. She works very hard on her physique and it shows. That being said, maybe she did have some enhancements done here and there. I look at it this way, Cathe is a person just like you and I are and she has insecurities just like we do.

I have chosen to never seek outside help for my looks as I age. I look at my aging as a natural process. I will be 60 in December and I look much younger for my age. I attribute that to working out diligently for 42 years and staying out of the sun and using sunscreen while in a boat or on a lake. I admit I am also insecure. We all are in one way or another. I have recently started filming YouTube videos because I want to share my workouts and what has worked for me over the years. It's all done for free, no cost involved at all. I want to help women become fitter. Does that mean my workouts are for everybody? No way.

I have given birth to 10 children and given my age, I think I look fantastic. I also think Cathe looks fantastic, too. I have met her in person and she is a very genuine woman who has built up an empire with her workouts.

If you want to see what I look like at the age of 60, PM me and I will send you a link to one of my YouTube channels since I have two of them.

Cheryl
Old 10-18-15, 12:25 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

LynnO, I agree with you. I may not have many wrinkles, and I think I look pretty good, but I don't look 20. Or 30. Or 40. I'll stop there. Additionally my eyebrows don't arch higher than they did 10 years ago, and my facial skin definitely isn't as taut.

I think that the issue is when there could be people who think they can duplicate Cathe's look (or ANY instructor, regardless of age and "help" or no "help") from head to toe by doing only their workouts without the other many factors involved. I am not saying Cathe is guilty of claiming that, and while I don't dispute any individual's right to make their own decisions about their bodies, they wouldn't necessarily be my decisions. I am also not in the "public eye" where the expectations are sadly different. I do, however, admire Cathe for continuing to encourage a fitness regimen and IMHO she is a role model for that---and just that. I've never met her in person.

Now Cheryl (momof10) is to me a "real life" role model!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 12:36 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Normal people don't age backwards and while I'm sure you ladies look splendid.... I've never met a 50 year old that didn't look at least 40, maybe we'll meet some day so you can prove me wrong. There were discussions of cathe's figure that her company responded to. Whether it was full time or temporary enhancement is irrelevant to whether we are using something real or an illusion as a role model.

Great to want to look good for ourselves, but still not sure why we have to comment on the instructor's looks so much.

Not everyone can look like that and not everyone feels good at such low body fat. But most of all, as Cindy Crawford said- even she doesn't look like Cindy Crawford. It was also very interesting to see her comments on some unflattering photos- it simply didn't match the picture she had of herself in her head, she didn't see those flaws that were in the unflattering photos. So even supermodels are comparing themselves to something that doesn't exist. We are using an image that doesn't exist as a role model.

There was also a comment that inferred that all women can be as fit (and be thin (lean) like Cathe) if they worked out hard and worked on their "nutrition". That's the part that I take greatest disagreement with. In her time, Cathe has discussed supplements and we ain't talking fish oil. Again, that is up to her, but it is important to know that if someone wants to consider her role model. But I'm guessing many women wouldn't have Cathe's physique if they did her exact workouts and ate a similar diet for their height.

I don't care if instructors are role model material - I can enjoy their workouts regardless. I'd be more impressed if she ran her business more professionally.

Anyhow, I really hope these make it to the amazon rentals. I just don't do workouts enough times to make it worth paying over $20 a dvd and the latest "premixes" haven't been premixes.
Lynn, since you are mentioning my words, I am going to respond. You have misinterpreted my posts. I never said that all women can be lean and fit like Cathe if they work out hard and work on their nutrition. I never said it is possible for everyone or anyone to look like Cathe. I never said that Cathe was a role model due to her appearance. My post said that she makes me feel that fitness is possible at any age.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 01:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I was going to make some comments, but I figure this thread can get locked without my help.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 01:39 PM  
dnna

I am an older woman who is still trying, but Try being old. It is very difficult to maintain a slim youthful fit body when you are aging. I do the best I can but I have gotten some real hurtful remarks irl.
Illness, aging, real life is very hard. and even when you are trying, people can be judging; the walmart comments, the grandma bat wing comments, I think everyone who is over 60 knows what i mean.sometimes when I am hobbling about in pain I am sure someone thinks- she should start exercising. ha!
I admire Margaret Richard! She is very positive about older women and exercise, and what is practical and helpful and good for you.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe ice, filming a workout, ice