Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-14, 10:07 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Ali - It does make sense. Actually, I pick the medium level and that shows everyone. It's just like Amy Dixon's breathless set up. Paul does the medium along with Sarah and then he has the lower moderator and then the advanced. You can see them all. The camera isn't focused just in the medium. I didn't find it odd at all, the angles of the camera, but I haven't watched the other options, either.

As you can see from the break down, this one was quite intense. The warm up was kind of blah, though. He did several of the moves that he would be doing in the actual workout, but it was only 4 minutes.

Cheryl
Thanks so much Cheryl! The breakdown of the one you provided looks so awesome! Im saving for this one now. Thank you for you feedback!
Old 01-16-14, 08:02 PM  
s2546

thank you Cheryl. I am on the fence but you are so helpful. i always use your descriptions and breakdowns to make these decisions. you are terrific

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-14, 08:21 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2546 View Post
thank you Cheryl. I am on the fence but you are so helpful. i always use your descriptions and breakdowns to make these decisions. you are terrific

sue
Well, thank you Sue!! You are so sweet.

Tonight I just did the Katami rope & foam roller stretch and all I can say is magnificent. I did the rope one first and it felt so good and it worked the core well, too. He worked all my muscles. Then, I loved that one so much, I decided to do the foam roller. Oh my gosh, I thought I was having a massage from heaven and it was so relaxing, too. I found some really tight spots, left calf, IT band both sides and my quads were on fire. This is what I have been missing in my workouts.

I always loved Cathe's stretch with the band, the rope workout was similar but had more moves and was more intense. I will be doing one of these everyday when I am done with my workouts. They are only 30 minutes each. I couldn't believe how fast the time flew even though it was slow paced.

Cheryl
Old 01-16-14, 08:24 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Wish they would sell the rope & foam roller one separately!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-14, 08:48 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Wish they would sell the rope & foam roller one separately!
Maybe they will. They were awesome. Paul talks about doing one or both of these everyday after your workout for the repair I know which areas I have to work on now. I have done foam rolling before but not for that long. His system comes with the rope and the foam roller.

Cheryl
Old 01-16-14, 09:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Maybe they will. They were awesome. Paul talks about doing one or both of these everyday after your workout for the repair I know which areas I have to work on now. I have done foam rolling before but not for that long. His system comes with the rope and the foam roller.

Cheryl
Sounds really good -- maybe I will try to ask him on his fb page, though I've heard he's not very responsive there, maybe? Anyway, thanks for the review!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 12:32 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
All of these DVD's are now available at KineticFlix.
Karen - hi. I'm new to KinecticFlix - I saw them on the site but they're described as "high demand" - what is your experience with wait time?

Also - anyone - to what extent do you need *all* the dvds at a particular level - do you alternate days? There are 2 dvds per level, right? as someone else asked - 1 workout per dvd? so you'd be alternating 2 routines twice a week? I'm such a variety junkie - that would make me a bit crazy.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 08:53 AM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Jane, you wouldn't want to follow this rotation! But it would be pretty easy to mix up the workouts for more variety, while still keeping the progression.

My bottom line impression: I really like these a lot! All of the workouts look good, if you like this structure. Lots of interesting moves, especially once you move out of Phase 1 (not the same-old, same-old to me), good cardio effect (for me), great core work. I'm making my own rotation, and there are many ways you could mix to suit your needs and attention-span!

Here's more info for people. I've previewed all of the workouts and done the first two: Change 1 and Change 2

The Rotation
There are 4 phases, with 2 workouts in each phase:
1. I am Change (2 workouts)
2. I am Athlete (2 workouts)
3. I am Warrior (2 workouts)
4. I am Hero (2 workouts)

As Cheryl has noted, the phases progress in difficulty of moves and intensity.

The given rotation is the only thing I don't like. It has you doing one workout 4 times per week, along with the shorter Amy Dixon's as optional. So, during Phase 1 you would alternate Change Workout 1 (weeks 1 & 3) and Change Workout 2 (weeks 2 & 4).

This is easily modifiable, though! I only have 3 days a week that I can do these types of workouts, so my rotation looks like this:
My Rotation
Phase 1/Week 1
Mon: Change 1
Wed: Change 2
Fri: Change1

Phase 1/Week2
Mon: Change 2
Wed: Change 1
Fri: Change 2

Phase 1/ Week 3
Mon: Change 1
Wed: Change 2
Fri: Amy Dixon's 2x4, both workouts

I'm using a similar structure for the other weeks. This will keep me doing the progression but give me more variety. I'm also doing the phases for only 3 weeks, not 4 weeks. You could also mix it up more by combining Phases 1 and 2, and then Phases 3 and 4. There are many ways you could mix to suit your needs and attention-span!

Who are these good for?
Variety of levels!
There are 3 levels for each workout: 1 (lower intensity, easier variations), 2 (medium intensity, mid-level variations), 3 (higher intensity, advanced variations).

The first phase, Change, I would say is intermediate, but could made advanced by following level 3, increasing your weights, and moving during rest periods.

Length of the workouts makes them flexible in terms of your level. The workouts are all about 46-47 minutes, which includes 4-5 minutes of warm-up. (No cool down - because of the Repair dvds.)

The original Katami 4x4 Bootcamp is longer by about 15 minutes (it is more than 60 minutes and has 2-3 more circuits than this system). That makes it more advanced! I couldn't do that length - just wipes me out. These make me feel worked out, but not wiped out.

I hope that helps!
LunaSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 09:14 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Thanks so much Tracy. I the 2 beginner and 2 restorative 4x4s at the top of my kinecticflix cue - I'm going to check 'em out and proceed from there. I have *several* foam rollers and enough bands to - well, to what?

I can envision incorporating the system a couple of days a week.

Is there music? music off?

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 09:17 AM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Cheryl, thanks for your breakdown of Hero 2! It's very helpful.

I did breakdowns of the workouts from the first 2 phases. But they aren't as good as Cheryl's. I just wrote down the names of the moves from the dvd (with a few notes to myself). The names aren't always very explanatory about the actual move. But, hopefully the breakdowns will help some.

Change 1
Quad 1 (times 2)
Jumping Jacks
Squats, weighted
Bicep Curls
Drop & Reach (Squat Rotation)

Quad 2 (2 times)
Skaters
Alternating Walking Lunges
Push Ups
4x4 Speed Bike (bicycles)

Quad 3 (2 times)
Lateral Jump Rope
Squat Jumps
I & Y Tricep Extensions
Low Plank (hold 60 sec)

Quad 4 (2 times)
Race Day High Knees
Heavy Dead Lift (heaviest weights you have)
Overhead Press
HourGlass (like Russian Twist)

Change 2
Quad 1 (times 2)
Lateral Shuffle
Lateral Limbo Walk
90/90 Curls
Seated Push (Long Lever Legs) (like push to low boat with hands supporting behind body)

Quad 2 (2 times)
Hot Dog Jump (like hamstring curls)
Calf Raises (3 Directions)
Skull Crushers (with legs lifted)
Wag the Tail (hip/leg & upper body twists on back)

Quad 3 (2 times)
Punch Run
Curtsy Lunge with leg lift
90/90 Lateral Raises
Torch & Slow Recover (roll up with weight and slow down)

Quad 4 (2 times)
Burpees
Progressive Front Lunge
Open & Close Push Up (Tricep P/U & Regular P/U)
Basic Side Plank Weighted (1 min each side)
LunaSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, paul katami