Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-14, 01:54 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

How to use downloads

Hi guys, I am way behind the times but wanted to download some workouts to my iPad . However I believe they take up a ton of room and I was wondering how you store them - do you download to an external hard drive and just put what you want on your device - or can you store in iCloud ? And if you want to play them through your tv how do you do that? Thank you

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 02:08 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I download lots, I mean lots of YouTube and other online workouts, most of them at least 20 minutes long up to an hour or slightly more.

But I just realized you're talking iPad which makes everything I was going to say completely moot. For a long time I used a small netbook to stream my stuff to my TV monitor. You should be able to stream or send stored workouts wirelessly if you have the right kind of TV.

Good luck. BTW, my tons of workouts were on a 32G flash drive and an 8G SD card. I've just put them all on my new laptop with a big hard drive.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 02:43 AM  
starbelly

I use my tablet to play videos. I have one with an expandable memory (currently a 64GB micro SD card). I have burned my DVDs and compressed them. Videos can be compressed in several ways; for DVDs I use WinX DVD ripper and have manipulated the settings so that an hour of video is 200-250MB. Many videos on youtube are similarly compressed, but those that are not can be compressed with a converter (I use Real Player converter). The quality is diminished, but it really doesn't matter to me for the purposes of an exercise video.

I think that some youtube videos have an option to select a lower video quality which would save space.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 06:44 AM  
anne

I download free youtube videos with Download Helper http://www.downloadhelper.net/

in Firefox. I found out about download helper here on the videofitness forum a few years ago. I have about 60 workouts saved to the video folder on my laptop. I usually use the medium quality option.

I connect my laptop to my tv with an hdmi cable. I'm not sure if an ipad has a slot for an hdmi cable, though.

Many times I do the workouts without connecting to the tv--just with the laptop screen--especially when I'm traveling.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 09:55 AM  
horsemom2

If you have a Windows Operating System, Freemake Video Converter has an output preset formatted for Apple devices. I store some downloads mostly in MP4 and WMV formats on my laptop and burn some to dvdr. Also I have been using a great Fitness video website to store videos so I can either stream or download them whenever I want. Email or PM me if you want an invitation to the site or visit my blog which has an invitation link (Blog link is in my VF signatureline).

If you want to download Freemake Video Converter, be cautious about extra Freeware offers
http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.c...imrosecat.html

Here's more downloading suggestions
http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.c...ing-video.html
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 10:00 AM  
LaCatrina

I have an android tablet, and when I used it a lot for my workouts (back when I did Meta/Continuity) I only added the ones I needed - they do take a lot of space and my tablet only has 64 GB HD. I did rip them using handbrake so I ripped them to "mobile" format, so they weren't as large
Old 12-23-14, 04:32 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

thanks everyone. Has anyone specifically got advice for Mac. I'm completely new at the whole download thing - trying to put DVDs onto a digital format too. I'm thinking external hard drive maybe. What happens if you buy a ton of them and they don't fit into your hard drive space?

Old 12-23-14, 04:33 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
If you have a Windows Operating System, Freemake Video Converter has an output preset formatted for Apple devices. I store some downloads mostly in MP4 and WMV formats on my laptop and burn some to dvdr. Also I have been using a great Fitness video website to store videos so I can either stream or download them whenever I want. Email or PM me if you want an invitation to the site or visit my blog which has an invitation link (Blog link is in my VF signatureline).

If you want to download Freemake Video Converter, be cautious about extra Freeware offers
http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.c...imrosecat.html

Here's more downloading suggestions
http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.c...ing-video.html
Thanks Barb, might take you up on your offer.

Old 12-23-14, 06:08 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N View Post
thanks everyone. Has anyone specifically got advice for Mac. I'm completely new at the whole download thing - trying to put DVDs onto a digital format too. I'm thinking external hard drive maybe. What happens if you buy a ton of them and they don't fit into your hard drive space?
Before you buy any streaming routines, make sure they are downloadable. Some streaming sites do not enable downloading and saving the files for future use.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 04:53 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Liz! It is great to see you posting! Your avatar photo is gorgeous!

Dropbox is one way to store videos, or an external hard drive. The files are so big that they take up a lot of space on an iPad.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote