Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-13, 01:43 AM  
Candiceena

My tips for learning to LOVE the Firm Express!

Hi girls -

I have had the FE dvd set since it came out but am only now starting to appreciate it. I used to not like the DVDs because I felt the bursts were too high-impact and the moves just didn't feel solid.

Since joining the October FE Challenge, I've been working thru all the FE DVDs again and wanted to share some tips; some of you may be like "duh, I already knew this" but since I have had the set for 2 years almost and am just now realzing these things make a huge difference, I wanted to share my process for making the FE workouts more enjoyable!

- Skip the first burst! (until you get them memorized) This allows me to watch what they do and quickly come up with a modification.

- Figure out the non-impact version of whatever they are doing. For example, they do a lot of plyo-based moves! I am not a huge plyo fan because I know it's tough on my joints; so I try to focus more on changing planes but keeping my feet on the ground.

- Use hand weights like 1 lb or 2 lb, and do press-style moves (either both arms or alternate right left) while doing lower body work, to help up the intensity a little bit while keeping your feet grounded (this works for moves where it is lower body moving only, but they MIs are jumping or plyoing)

- for the pushups, I have started doing push-up pulses instead of being on my knees. my pushup range of motion is like, an inch, instead of a few inches. I think this helps to activate all of the same muscles used in pushups, better than being on your knees.

- The biggest change for me was figuring out how to take out the impact of the moves. I know I am probably lessening the intensity but to me, they were too intense! So my #1 piece of advice for learning to love FE workouts is to figure out the best modifiers for YOU - and I best taking out the impact/jumping/plyos will help a TON!

Anybody else who has had to "learn to love" FE workouts, please share your tips!!
Old 10-11-13, 07:21 AM  
sophiesmom

Thank you for the tips! I should give these a fair run. Too many workouts, too little time!

If you don't mind, how do you modify some of the high impact? I'm terrible at modifying!

TIA!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 07:44 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Thank you. Initially I was not happy I purchased them but you state some great facts!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 08:36 AM  
eaocon

I love these workouts and up until this past May had been doing them more or less continuously since I bought them in the original sale.

I do my own mods, too, as their big weakness is the modifier DOES NOT MODIFY!
Old 10-11-13, 04:23 PM  
Candiceena

Yes, that is my problem too! The modifier does not actually modify!!

SophiesMom - The #1 way I have found to help modify, is to find a way to NOT have my feet leave the ground. I've found that has been the best way...so when they do plyos squats, I will squat down low, then come up and maybe raise my hands above my head to help keep the intensity up; sometimes I don't want the intensity though and want it to feel more stead-state, so then I will just squat up and down while they jump.

Pretty much avoiding any jumping/feet leaving the ground has been a huge help.
Old 10-11-13, 06:52 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Those are great helpful hints, Candice, thank you!
I've done a FE rotation last summer but only lasted for 1 month as I found all those plyo moves too hard on my joints and the speed often just too fast considering the weights one was using!.. With your ideas I'd definitely give it another round in the future as I did enjoy the workouts overall! (I could do without Rebecca's whooping though! LOL)

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 09:05 PM  
princess76

I did all these low impact and lost a clothing size going through them in a month.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 06:10 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Wow, Candice. Great tips. I tried on numerous occasions to like FE, even traded it away and traded back for it, but the speed of the moves never worked for me. I am really going to try it again using some of your tips for making it more doable for my purposes. I like the pulsing push-ups idea and modifying the plyos. Good stuff. Thanks.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 07:04 AM  
topfitmama

This is a great thread, Candiceena. I've also skipped the first burst sometimes because they don't tell you what you're going to do sometimes until it's time to do it, and some are just plain awkward, like the super quick, deep lunges.
I'm going to have to take notes of the way I modify some workouts so I can help others to make them work for them.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 07:04 AM  
sophiesmom

Ahhh, thanks Candice!

Are you following their rotation schedule or are you doing something different?

Thanks!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm express