Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-12, 09:48 PM  
Beeba

Breast cancer now what?

Hello,
I have been a VFer for a long time. I don't post often but enjoy all of the tips, encouragement and compassion in everyone's posts. So, I couldn't think of a better place to come for help. I had a routine mammogram at the end of November which was abnormal, had a biopsy and was diagnosed with breast cancer in December. A few weeks later I had a partial mastectomy and just finished radiation. To add to this horror, I gained 10 lbs which the doctor told me is typical. I started walking this week with Leslie (1-2 miles) and got tired and just got an OK from my doctor to start lifting very light weights this week. Before my diagnosis, I finished a I had just finished Supreme 90 and a Slim Series rotation and was ready to try Tracy's boot camp. I don't think I can do boot camp and am wondering what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas. I am so overwhelmed!!!
Beeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 09:56 PM  
MoFirmer

Beeba - First off as a cancer survivor myself... I am SO glad you are doing well now!!! I gained 15 with my treatment so I understand. I say just start slow and listen to your body. I would for now just do things that sound like "fun" to you.... don't get bogged down trying to do a whole system. Just keep it fun! Do you have some of the Pink FIRMS? I love my FIRMS. I did them throughout my treatment.

But most of all..... HUGS and take care of yourself!!!! I'm 3 years post cancer here. <3
Old 02-18-12, 09:57 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

I'm not sure I have any advice but just wanted to comment since I read your story. It sounds like you've gone through a lot the past few months so I would take it easy. Have you ever tried barre workouts? After doing more hard core workouts my whole life, I tried barre 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back. You can easily adjust the intensity by how deep you go into the moves.

Do you like yoga? I was never a yoga person but started to like it when I did my P90X rotation. Since then I really like power yoga and find I get great upper body definition when I do yoga regularly. There are some great 20-30 minute yoga practices that are free on iTunes. I really like the Jason Crandell practices from Yoga Journal. Good luck!
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 10:08 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beeba, I'm sorry that you had breast cancer. I'm glad you have completed treatment and your doctor said you can begin gentle exercise.

I recommend you watch and perhaps try out a breast cancer rehabilitation post-surgery dvd made by Miranda Esmonde White. Miranda is a breast cancer survivor and has posted this dvd free on her website. There are 4 segments: (Getting Started; Rehab exercises; Stress Release and Miranda's Story) at the link below. Take care and I wish you the best of health.

http://www.breastcancerrehabilitatio...hthevideo.html
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 10:21 PM  
Cammie-Cam

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm so glad that you're doing well now! I'm sure you'll get great advice here... just listen to your body, it will tell you when you're ready for more activity.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 10:22 PM  
desderata

Beeba, I don't have any advice other than what others have already said. I'm so glad you've completed treatment and are returning to exercise. One of my close friends is a three year survivor. After finishing treatment she slowly but steadily returned to working out and decided to take up running. She ran her first 5k ever on the 1 year anniversary of her mastectomy, and hasn't looked back since. She is in the best shape of her life, glowing, healthy and happy. I wish this for you, also.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 10:28 PM  
Amazon

Beeba, I just wanted to say you go, girl. One of my dear friends had an aggressive Stage 3 and did Pilates through all the chemo and radiation even though her family tried to talk her out of it. I have absolutely no idea how she was able to do it, but she said she wanted to and so she did. She's tougher than nails. But she's 6 years cancer-free now.

So I say do whatever feels right for you!
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 10:29 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Beeba--I am so sorry you have to go through this cancer stuff, but also am glad like another poster said that you're doing well and can start to exercise. I also was going to suggest Classical Stretch's Breast Cancer link.

I, too, would only do workouts that appeal to you. Go easy on yourself--eat well, treat yourself gently. I wish you a happy, healthy future.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 11:22 PM  
PJOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Beeba,

I recommend you watch and perhaps try out a breast cancer rehabilitation post-surgery dvd made by Miranda Esmonde White. Miranda is a breast cancer survivor and has posted this dvd free on her website. There are 4 segments: (Getting Started; Rehab exercises; Stress Release and Miranda's Story) at the link below. Take care and I wish you the best of health.

http://www.breastcancerrehabilitatio...hthevideo.html
I used this DVD extensively during my own recovery and really credit it with getting as much ROM back as I have. I think that mommyofjoeyp's suggestion of barre is great too. It is a great way to work hard without overstressing your upper body.

Feel free to PM me if you want!
Old 02-19-12, 12:01 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm very sorry to hear you (and other dear VFers) had cancer, but what a relief to know you're doing so well!!
Like others have already posted, be kind to yourself and do the kind of exercise that brings you joy and also some relaxation, at whatever level you're comfortable. The last thing you need to do is stress out your mind or body. Be patient and give yourself time - the weight will eventually come off.

Congratulations on being healthy again!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breast cancer, cancer, cancer survivor, lee holden