Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-12, 11:01 AM  
klutze01

Jazzercise: Burlesque

Bear with me as this is my first time attempting a review, I’m sure it won’t be as detailed as many of your awesome reviews are, but I will do my best. I would like to preface by saying that I love group dance workout classes (Zumba & Cardio Bellydance) and dancing in general, however I have never really clicked with dance workout DVDs. The only ones that remain in my collection are Misty Tripoli’s Groove series and a couple of Turbo Jams, so I was totally expecting that this would be an immediate add to my trade list. However, I really enjoyed the workout and it’s a keeper for me.

The workout starts with a nice, easy warm up including some dynamic stretches with a dancey feel. Then you move into the main cardio part of the workout which consists of short dance segments (can’t remember how many). Each song contains 2 different sets of 3 or 4 simple moves which are repeated. There is no real TIFTing (which I hate), the moves are pretty basic and the simplicity allows your heart rate to get up without having to stop & “catch” the choreography. There were just two moves that I couldn’t “get” on the first try-but I just kept moving and was fine. There are also a couple of higher impact moves but they could easily be modified. The songs are short so you don’t get bored with the repetitiveness.

The second part of the workout is a short (10 minute) abs & leg toning section. The ab moves are standing crunch type moves which I didn’t really feel much from but they were fun and a good transition from the cardio portion. The leg moves consisted of an unweighted lunge & plie series. If you go deep enough you can feel a little burn on these. The workout ends with a cool down & stretch, again with a dancey vibe. It was hard to get deep enough into the stretches because of the movement but overall it was a decent cool down.

General impressions: This is a Burlesque workout so there is definitely talk about being sexy but it wasn’t overdone. The outfits are corset inspired but pretty modest and tasteful. Jillian Michaels usually shows a lot more skin than most of these girls. The set is pretty, in pink, black & white with a boudoir type theme. The music is great! The songs are remixes of current and recent pop songs with vocals (including J-Lo’s “On the Floor” and the Pussycat Dolls “Don’t Cha”). I think the intensity is pretty solid intermediate level if you give it some effort. It’s not a hard core workout but I did work up a bit of a sweat. Overall, it was a fun and well done dance workout that I will actually do again!
Old 02-08-12, 11:39 AM  
Eibhinn

Thanks for the very thorough review - it's particularly impressive considering that it's your first. I've been curious what the newer jazzercise workouts were like, and you've definitely given me some idea. I especially appreciated that you provided some context for the review (what you like, what you don't, past experience with dance workouts). Without that it's sometimes difficult to translate another person's reaction ("I loved it!") into an informed sense of whether or not the workout is right for the reader.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 06:09 PM  
cmishel
VF Supporter

thank you

Thank you for the review. I have been debating about getting this but wasn't sure if it was too dancy.
You've just convinced me to get it.

Cheryl
cmishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 06:39 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Many thanks for the review. I was trying to screw my courage up to do a Jazzercise class (a studio not 15 minutes from me), but then I got a look at their prices and knew it wasn't going to work.

So I had been wondering about their DVDs. This is a great alternative to the $$$ classes for me.

Fabulous first review. Can't wait for your second one (and third and fourth...).

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 08:32 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thank you for the review!! I definitely do NOT like most dance videos, but this one really called to me (love the Burlesque movie ), and it looks easy enough to follow. The music is great, and It's definitely on my to-buy list. Your review was awesome, and informative! Thanks again!
Old 02-09-12, 11:03 AM  
klutze01

Thanks for the good feedback. I have benefited so much from all of the great reviews here that it is time to try to pay it forward!

Emily-I loved the movie Burlesque too! I was totally channeling Christina while doing this one
Old 02-09-12, 12:36 PM  
Fitstick

I have only tried this workout once but found it enjoyable. The outfits are cheesy but the workout itself was fun! I would also rate it as solid intermediate. I found it very enjoyable.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 05:17 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutze01 View Post
Emily-I loved the movie Burlesque too! I was totally channeling Christina while doing this one
Hi klutze,

Christina was great in Burlesque! I bought many of the songs on the soundtrack and incorporated them into my jogging track! She's definitely got great energy and spirit

I was hoping they would have something out of the movie in the Jazzercise DVD, but they still chose really great songs. (I groove a lot to Beyonce too )
Old 02-12-12, 06:04 AM  
Anny

I've had this one on my wish list just because of the music. So thank you for the review!