Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 07-14-02, 11:00 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Best yoga videos for different levels

The following picks for best yoga videos come from your friendly VF Yoga Cross-Trainers Checkin group.

The list is broken down by level of experience with yoga and exercise. Check the VF Reviews section to find detailed reviews of most of these videos. This should help you narrow your choices further according to your own preferences.

For absolute beginners (not currently active in any exercise):
  • Living Arts AM Yoga
  • Living Arts Gentle Yoga
  • Yoga Journal Yoga for Meditation
  • Living Arts Yoga for Beginners
  • Kripalu Gentle
  • Any of the Yoga Zone beginner series
  • Most of Lilias Folan's tapes
  • Yoga for Dummies
  • Wai Lana Yoga
  • David Swenson's Just Relax
  • Kathy Smith’s New Yoga Basics
  • Quick Fix Yoga
  • Yogilates I

For active beginners to yoga (already do strength training etc):
  • Living Arts Stress Relief Yoga
  • Living Arts PM Yoga
  • Gaiam Yoga for Weight Loss
  • Living Arts Yoga for Abs
  • Living Arts Yoga for Lower Body
  • Yoga Journal Yoga for Relaxation
  • Crunch Joy of Yoga
  • Crunch Fat Burning Yoga
  • Yoga Mind & Body
  • Baron Baptiste's Hot Yoga I
  • Kathy Smith's New Yoga
  • Karen Voight's Yoga Sculpt
  • Any of the Yoga Zone series
  • Yogilates II
  • Richard Freeman's Yoga Breath & Relaxation
  • Total Yoga Earth
  • Lilias Alive with Yoga: Vol. 2, Stretch and Strengthen

Intermediate (workout regularly, have done a little yoga and are familiar with some poses):
  • Yoga Journal Yoga for Strength (first session)
  • Yoga Journal Yoga for Energy
  • Living Arts Yoga for Athletes
  • Living Arts Power Yoga for Stamina
  • Living Arts Power Yoga for Flexibility
  • Bryan Kest's Power Yoga Vol 1 & 2 or any from his new series
  • Autonomy Cardio Yoga
  • Kripalu Dynamic
  • Baron Baptiste's Hot Yoga II & III or Power & Precision
  • Total Yoga Fire
  • Kathy Smith’s New Yoga Challenge
  • Eoin Finn's Power Yoga
  • David Swenson's Short Forms

Advanced (have a strong yoga practice, have attended live classes and can handle back bending & arm balances):
  • Living Arts Yoga for Upper Body
  • Living Arts Yoga for Intermediates
  • Living Arts Power Yoga for Strength
  • Yoga Journal Yoga for Strength (second session)
  • Yoga Journal Yoga for Flexibility
  • Bryan Kest's Power Yoga Vol 3
  • Baron Baptiste's new series
  • David Swenson's Primary Series
  • Richard Freeman's Primary Series
  • Sarah Power's Primary Series
  • Anything by Mark Blanchard

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-02, 01:31 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting this Wendy!

I just wanted to add that there is quite a range of difficulties within each category, especially in the intermediate and advanced categories.

Plus there are more yoga tapes coming out every day, it seems, so there are lots not on this list. This list should be a good place to start though.

Happy Yoga Everyone!
Old 07-14-02, 06:43 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

A few comments.

1) Yoga Zone's Yoga for Flexibility and Stress Release is an intermediate tape.

2) Yoga to Go with Misty Carey (Vol 3: Health) could probably go in the "active beginner" category.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-03, 09:38 AM  
rad

Wow, Wendy, thanks, that's a fabulous reference tool. May I ask if the Cardio Cross-Trainers compiled this list or did you? Just curious about how it actually evolved and whether this list might be living on this site where one could pull similar or other ranking information if you hadn't gifted it to us just now. Someone did something similar on a Cathe thread and it was terrific, too. It's kind of a video bibliography which includes essential fitness level information to help steer you through a subject or discipline.

Loretta, may I also ask you what other releases you would add to that list to bring it up to the moment? You mentioned others that aren't on it.

I can't believe I suddenly have this hankering to do yoga. There have been some great yoga threads of recent, and with the Lotte Berk work that has strengened my core and provided uxexpected energy, not to mention my need for some spiritual work I have the makings of becomming a yoga convert.

Thanks.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-03, 10:41 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Hi rad

The VF yoginis compiled the list for me. I certainly wouldn't have been knowledgeable enough about yoga and about all these videos to do it myself.

I'd love to have many such lists, and if small groups would like to volunteer in a given category, that would be great. I'd love to have a similar list for pilates or kickboxing, for example.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-03, 01:02 PM  
bootyquake

You forgot a classic - the original Total Yoga. It's a great, complete tape suitable for beginners and intermediates.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/totalyoga.php
bootyquake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-03, 01:21 AM  
rad

Thanks again, Wendy. Yes, it would be wonderful to have such lists for other disciplines, as you mention. Not too many folks lurking over here to respond to the idea. Otherwise, there might have already been some volunteers. I hope the idea comes full circle at another time soon.

Be well.

Edited to read:
Actually I'm back and haven't been gone too long. I don't think I've ever been in this area of the site before. In fact, I feel like I'm having an out of body experience but can that possibly be attributed to this thread having been moved? And when I tried to find my way back yesterday, it felt as if someone had eaten the trail of bread crumbs I left. And did it begin with the Cardio X-Trainer's list before? Thinking now, Wendy, that you tweaked this thread a bit and we are well on our way to having a space for such reference lists. Thank you.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 02:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

RE: Upper Body Yoga

Just wanted to say that I don't consider this to be an advanced tape. I've been doing yoga at home for about 2 years now, but in many ways, I still consider myself to be an beginner as I don't practice all that often, have never taken a class, and still am not very flexible. However, I am able to follow the upper body yoga tape. When I first tried it, I was unable to lift into the backbend at the end (the only real challenging part of the workout), but with some practice, I was able to do it. I think regular exercisers who have been practicing yoga for awhile would find this to be a good intermediate practice.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 03:05 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

The back bend was the reason that I originally put this on the in advanced classification. As I said in the post above there is quite a range of difficulties within each category, especially in the intermediate and advanced categories. This one would probably not be in the advanced category if not for the back bends, but it's a good tape to work up to the other more advanced tapes.
Old 09-08-04, 11:35 AM  
Videophile

Types of Yoga

There are so many types of Yoga it would be difficult even with Wendy's great list for a beginner to know what to buy in terms of the type of Yoga would they be getting. There is a site that sells nothing but Yoga videos/DVDs and they do list the vids/DVD according to the type of Yoga the video addresses with a short explanation of each type.

http://www.yoga-videos.net/

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorites, yoga, yoga audios, yoga for beginners