Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-16, 05:28 PM  
muggle

Hello all! My real name is Peg and yes I'm a Harry Potter fan. I've been a member since Jan 2016 but never thought to post here. It's a wonderful place to visit, read and share. I enjoy the like mindedness of fitness forums. Everyone here "gets it" when it comes to fitness and the never ending love of a new workout!! I'm 51 and have been working out for 25 years or so. My hubby redid a good section of our basement for my work out space. I love it! I'm a RN, I work at a school and have a beautiful 28 year old daughter, 2 dogs and our ferret recently passed away. He cracked me up. Someone gave it to my daughter and she couldn't keep it. Anyway, I typically do advanced stuff like Cathe, Michelle etc. I love kickboxing too. Happy to be here!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 05:29 PM  
muggle

Double post. Sorry.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 06:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome, Peg. If you've been reading here, you may know that you are not the only RN nor are you the only pet owner. I hope you find a corner to settle into. You might want to hide your credit card from yourself!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 05:27 PM  
rvagal

Hello! I've been doing The Firm for 15 years since my early 20s (mainly Body Sculpting Systems 1 through 4, the Wave, and the pink Firms). Two pregnancies and a health condition that causes exercise intolerance later, and I still kept with it, just at a lighter intensity (did a lot of "Express" versions of pink Firms and didn't get the Fanny Lifter out much).

Then last spring I had a body mass composition test and was told that despite my normal BMI, I was a little too high on fat and a little too low on muscle. That lit a fire under me and I went from doing 20-30 minute videos 2x a week (plus one day on the treadmill) to doing 40-50 minute videos and the treadmill 5x per week. 6 weeks later I had gained over a pound of muscle to the doctor's surprise.

Then I realized that I didn't have enough DVDs that fit my bill -- using a step, longer duration, moderate intensity-- so I went in search of them. I bought almost all the classic Firms and did those for a bit, but they're a bit stiff or wooden to me (Maximum Body Shaping is my favorite of those). Then I discovered Fitness Favorites and stocked up on FitPrime and KickButt. Those are my favorites right now -- From the Ground Up/Push Pull, Crunch Time, Pump, Metaboost, Lean, and Strong Bear (when I'm feeling up to it). I also throw in Total Muscle Shaping and Complete Body Sculpting (BSS3) and Supercharged Sculpting (BSS4) or a pink Firm from time to time. (We have a vacation place in the mountains where I don't have a step so I do those there.)

I love the flexibility of working out at home. I could never follow a rotation schedule because sometimes my health or life doesn't lend itself to a particular kind of workout. Today I was feeling strong so I did Pump Jump N Jab.

Generally I work out 2-4 days in a row and then take a break. I alternate weights-focused workouts with the treadmill or cardio workouts. My pace is slow these days (11 min/mile while running as fast as I can with my HR at max) but I will run 1-2 miles and then walk another mile, which takes me about one show on Netflix.

I've also started doing Rodney Yee yoga on active rest days or following the treadmill.

I can tell a big difference since I upped my game last spring. Honestly I'd really been phoning it in for a long time.

Thanks for having me. I'm happy to be here!
rvagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 07:51 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 01:00 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Welcome, rvagal!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 09:49 PM  
amy76

Hi everyone

I am from Australia and turned 40 last year.

I have been a longtime lurker on this board on and off for many many years.
I have also been an off and on exerciser but really need to make some changes. Right now I am really unfit but I know the only way to change this is to keep moving. So I am hoping that posting here will make me accountable and of course be able to chat with you all.
amy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 07:02 AM  
bubbles76

Nice to meet you Amy! This place will definitely help get you in shape and keep you accountable. There are many friendly check ins. There are many free youtube options if you want to start there. Welcome to the board!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 08:25 AM  
Helen

Hi Amy - Welcome ! and where are you? "The Hill" is in Newcastle - in the city. It's so rare to see Australians here - glad to have another around.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 09:20 PM  
amy76

Thanks for the welcome bubbles76 and Helen

I am in Adelaide about 10kms from the city
amy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread