Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-18, 03:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
2) Everyday = count your blessings and be thankful that your body moves if you are not bedridden.
i see people who cannot walk and gosh, that really hits home that i am blessed to be able to walk, move around, and exercise! so i keep it going!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 07:27 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i see people who cannot walk and gosh, that really hits home that i am blessed to be able to walk, move around, and exercise! so i keep it going!
Me too. And when I see how fast the older folks in my family have gone down hill when they gave up exercising or walking for various reasons I get VERY motivated.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 08:53 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I am another one that is struggling with motivation lately. I am striving for just short enjoyable workouts that get me up and moving. 30-40 minutes or even 20 minutes. Something is better than nothing. I really like walking too so that is sometimes all I do, my walking will ramp up here.

I also really need to get back to yoga and pilates, as those things are what I really need. I will figure it out and you will too. Just aim for some movement each day, a walk or something and see where it takes you.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 08:28 AM  
desie

If your workout motivation has gone, perhaps you can partner working out with something where your motivation is strong. For example, teaching or socializing or time outside or listening to music. If you have a daily desire to do something, can it be paired with a small workout until you are back in the habit of looking forward to exercise? Also, outside motivation almost obligates you to exercise, if you can latch on to a fitness friend's routine.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 11:07 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I will confess that I never feel like getting out of bed to exercise using a dvd but once I start I am ok. When I finished I am glad I did it.
This is what I would do to trick myself, if there is even such a thing. I would promise myself that after 5 or 10 minutes into the workout or run and I wasn't feeling it, then I gave myself permission to stop. In all these years, I think I only cut a run short but, I never stopped at my promised minutes.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 12:24 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Hi

I would recommend what others on here have suggested: find a new activity that you would enjoy. Walking , dancing, Zumba, a yoga class, tennis, etc.

I mix Swimming in with my at-home fitness ( at the pool in my avatar). It keeps me moving.

Good luck!

Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 08:33 AM  
JulieIL

It sounds like you've had a lot going on recently, Genevieve. Sending you <<hugs>>.

You've gotten some good advice here. Be kind to yourself, but try to incorporate some activity every day. Maybe taking a walk with your headphones? If you are able to walk during daylight (maybe during your lunch hour- unsure of your schedule), even better- I sometimes wonder if we've missed out on the benefits of sunshine (I'm guilty of this!).

On a side note, it sounds like you're busy with work and (hopefully) therapy, but are there any volunteer opportunities that you could do, even a few hours a month? If you enjoy and get recharged from being around others, have you looked into joining a meetup group in your area, to hike, work out at each others homes, enjoy events, even just do board games? It varies by location of course, by I'm impressed at the variety of meet ups, with something for all ages, interests, etc.

Please take care.
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 09:24 PM  
GinaXOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
This is what I would do to trick myself, if there is even such a thing. I would promise myself that after 5 or 10 minutes into the workout or run and I wasn't feeling it, then I gave myself permission to stop. In all these years, I think I only cut a run short but, I never stopped at my promised minutes.
That is good advice. I tell myself that if I still want to quit after the warmup that I can. Normally, when I get started I am fine. Starting is the hardest part.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 09:32 PM  
videofit

Have your hormones balanced because that will improve your mood and energy levels.

As for muscle tone, mine is better than ever but I'm an ectomorph and will never be bulky. I use mainly DVDs by Margaret Richard

If I were you I'd go for long walks because the sunshine helps your mood and is natural vitamin D. Often when I don't want to work out I will go for a walk and by the time I get home, I am more motivated and energized to work out.

Have a sleep study because you might have sleep apnea if you are tired all the time
Old 09-07-18, 01:40 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

First of all dear Genevieve, there IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU! And that goes for all you others!
Dang, why are we women so hard on ourselves?!

Aging is a fact. Nothing we can do about it. Hormones go crazy. Bodies go crazy. Minds go crazy.
I exercise not for the aesthetics but rather my health and to try to get through menopause as good as I can. I love to be strong. I love to be able to lift heavy and do heavy work and have good endurance as I get older. Next month I turn 56 and I look at that number and just go "really?".

Do what you can. Take baby steps. You're starting all over again, so think back to some of your favorite workouts and maybe pick up with those again.
Heck, a nice walk does wonders for body, mind and soul! Just put on your sneakers and head out.

Hang in there wonderful women! There are so many encouraging and inspiring people here - we can get through these wacky times!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restart