Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-18, 09:47 PM  
bfit

Upper body exercises for "bra overhang"?

What upper body exercises are good for "bra overhang" on my sides just below my armpit in the extreme upper rib area? I am not overweight, and my arms and shoulders are pretty good, but it's flabby there. One armed rows don't seem to target that area. Any ideas? Or is this just another one of those things that succumbs to gravity as we get older?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 06:15 AM  
Lannette

Is it fat or skin or a combo of the two? I had both bra overhang and a menopot that I thought were simply a consequence of menopause. Both melted away with a combo of realigning some postural issues and a little weight loss.

Honestly the weight loss had less to do with it than opening up my chest and shoulders, aligning my hips and pelvis and getting my pelvic floor functioning properly again. My body is actually still changing.

I have some skin that’s looser than in years past, which is why I mention the skin. The skin in my bra area tightened back up nicely over time. The abs skin seems to be doing the same, again over time.

This wasn’t a “buy this dvd and do it for a month fix.” It’s taken a few years to turn back the clock and I’m using multiple exercise and Restorative methods along with a few alternative care methods for my skin. It’s been worth it for me because the changes also helped with joint pain.

You can see my workout logs at my website below. Previous to the website I spent a year doing various Egoscue menus and Katy Bowman. Then a solid year of only Callanetics. Then branched out from there. Not saying you should do those things as everyone is different and I had some pretty bad alignment issues from a fall.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 07:47 AM  
bubbles76

Lannette, how can one tell that one suffers from bad postural alignment? I know pain can be a good indicator, but outside of that, how do you really know? I know I've been catching myself slouching sometimes, but other than that I don't know if I could tell about other issues.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 07:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Lanette thank you for sharing your website - nice job!

May I inquire what results you have achieved from your facial plan?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 05:54 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Lannette, how can one tell that one suffers from bad postural alignment? I know pain can be a good indicator, but outside of that, how do you really know? I know I've been catching myself slouching sometimes, but other than that I don't know if I could tell about other issues.
Bubbles, you could try taking some pictures. It’s actually best if you have someone else take them. You want front, both sides, and back views. You close your eyes and gently march in place about 8 times then open your eyes and stand still and naturally while the picture is taken. You don’t want to try to stand any way other than what is natural for you.

Once you have all four pictures you look for areas that are out of alignment and differences from side to side. Your untrained eye won’t be as quick to pick up small differences but you should see major differences. One foot forward or a foot or feet turned out or in are also give always. Rounded shoulders, forward or side tilted head, palms turned toward the back wall, rounded upper back, any variation causes changes in other areas.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 07-15-18, 06:14 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Lanette thank you for sharing your website - nice job!

May I inquire what results you have achieved from your facial plan?
Hi Pat, I’m deleting my reply so as not to pull the thread off topic. I pm’d you and copied my answer on my board under info.

Last edited by Lannette; 07-15-18 at 07:53 AM. Reason: To add in order to clarify and not be off topic.
Old 07-15-18, 07:23 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
What upper body exercises are good for "bra overhang" on my sides just below my armpit in the extreme upper rib area?
Have you tried iron cross/lat pull downs? When I do these, I really feel it working down the sides of my rib cage.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 08:37 AM  
desie

My under-the-armpit-side-breast-area really changed and became super toned from Tracy Anderson and I think it was the combo of gradually changing my posture from all the standing with arms overhead and to the side movements, plus the strength gains from the dynamic plank exercises, particularly supporting myself in and out of side plank variations. I also like to do Barlates Back Fat, https://youtu.be/NlVfo8AaHyQ. It's 7 minutes but you can do it twice.

And Zuzka posted about checking your posture by looking pictures of yourself, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHl9yxMKaq4.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote