Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-18, 07:22 PM  
Lannette

Yes, I agree that’s the way Joyce teaches it. I always added the muscle working against muscle ala T-Tapp and similar to what you described. I reached away to get space in the joints but never to the extreme I’m able to attain during Essentrics.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 08:16 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I always added the muscle working against muscle ala T-Tapp and similar to what you described. I reached away to get space in the joints but never to the extreme I’m able to attain during Essentrics.
In her earlier workouts Miranda demonstrated in her introductions how she wanted people to stabilize (in a relaxed way -lol) their torso/body so that when one stretched out one's arms and legs the whole body would not follow the trajectory and that there would be a kind of pulling apart at the joints.
Old 07-08-18, 05:06 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
In her earlier workouts Miranda demonstrated in her introductions how she wanted people to stabilize (in a relaxed way -lol) their torso/body so that when one stretched out one's arms and legs the whole body would not follow the trajectory and that there would be a kind of pulling apart at the joints.
I actually have those older WOs.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 01:52 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Ha ha...I feel like I am talking to myself in this conversation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I actually have those older WOs.
So much has changed with the recent research regarding relaxation and fascia in the Essentrics world. I recently went back to Season 7 and 8 just to compare. They are definitely moving more slowly and with deliberation. The technique involving the myotactic reflex and letting the muscle relax to reach further begins in Seasons 11 and 12 and is reflected in the newer toning workouts as well. Less momentum.

They still focus on a stabilizer and pulling a muscle away from it's point of origin...so that is why with the side to side lunges you keep your hip down as the arm goes up...maximum stretch...strengthening in that elongated position...it's all about opposites. Same as keeping a nuetral C as you reach forward...ribs back, arm forward, pelvis tucked under to stretch the lumbar spine.

I think it's just discussing different instructor's theories and labels.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dynamic tension, essentrics, joyce vedral