Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-18, 09:49 AM  
bfit

Is there anything different/new for upper body?

I have quite a few upper body workouts - Cathe, KCM, Gilad, old Kathy Smith mostly - and it seems like they're all just basically the same which is boring. I guess there's only so many ways you can work the biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, and back with weights. Is there anything new and/or different for the upper body? I do have Ilaria's Pushups and Abs too.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 11:10 AM  
bubbles76

I was going to suggest that if you were bored with traditional weights that maybe you should try bodyweight exercises. Or you can try Ilaria's Atletica workouts, as they work upper body in a different way. Or kettlebells, if you can swing the costs.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 08:42 PM  
desie

It's not new, but there's Horizontal Conditioning. You hold your body weight up with your hands in plank and side plank variations and also some down dog. It is pretty thorough, but I would add reverse plank to the mix. And handstands, if you are comfortable with them.
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Hor...DVD-p/2148.htm

And there's band work. Dumbbells are always up-down; bands let you press in any direction you want. I don't have a workout video to recommend for bands, I tend to do snippets from you-tube.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 01:28 PM  
starbelly

Cody (now called Alo Moves) also has a number of bodyweight strength training programs. The strength-based series can be found here. It is streaming, but I think that the workouts can be downloaded on a mobile app. There is a 2 week free trial and then it's $20/month. I had it for a few months and loved it and will go back at some point when I am ready to move on from Pilates.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 12:05 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I was going to suggest that if you were bored with traditional weights that maybe you should try bodyweight exercises. Or you can try Ilaria's Atletica workouts, as they work upper body in a different way. Or kettlebells, if you can swing the costs.
Good pun, Bubbles!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 11:57 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I definitely have enjoyed adding kettlebells to the mix -- it's nice to have more variety and it's great for cardio conditioning and lower body to boot. And this morning, I realized I should dust off my FIRM DVDs since those are so different from my staple of Cathe, KCM and Gilad for upper body strength (between the AWT routines and two upper body routines, definitely a change from the usual).
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-18, 01:24 PM  
laurajhawk

I thought of this thread just now when I did the Thighs & Arms segment of Linda Wooldridge's Hula Barre Fusion DVD. The arm work is done with very light weights (she uses 500g/1.1 lb), and it's hula-style swaying/circular movements, but it isn't a dancy workout. I found it easy to follow and fun, and it really worked my arms! There are good clips of this DVD on totalfitnessdvds.com.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ori active hula barre