Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-17, 11:37 AM  
bfit

I live in the Bay Area. All of the things people have mentioned are great things to do. Coit Tower is also fun. Golden Gate Park is also nice. I just want to reinforce the idea that you do need to bring warm clothes. It can be really cold and damp (and foggy) in this area in the summertime. It's not the land of bikinis, beaches, and convertibles with the top down! Also, I assume that you're renting a car so be prepared for traffic. Something that's "an hour" away may take a lot longer than that. If possible try not to be on the highways during the morning and late afternoon commute hours when people are going to and from work. For some things you may simply want to walk or take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) which is a rail/subway.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 10:15 AM  
isebelleg44

Thanks everyone for all your tips! We have decided to also venture out and head out to Yosemite. We are also going to Monterey area as well. Will definitely check out a ball game as I would love to see AT&T Park, as it looks beautiful on TV.

The girls' major request was to see the house from Full House so we have to go by there. Their cousin also told them about Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, so I guess we also will be going there.

Thanks again!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 10:43 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

If you're venturing out and head to San Jose, I'd recommend the Winchester Mystery House. The tour is a great combination of history and a tragic story against the backdrop of a beautiful, albeit strange home. The grounds are gorgeous as well.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 10:53 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
We have decided to also venture out and head out to Yosemite. We are also going to Monterey area as well. Will definitely check out a ball game as I would love to see AT&T Park, as it looks beautiful on TV.
Another clothing tip for Yosemite: they're having very high snow melt levels after all the snow this winter and people are getting drenched by the spray/mist at the waterfalls so bring ponchos.

AT&T is a lot of fun, and tickets are reasonable right now since the Giants are having a rough season.

Enjoy your trip!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 03:54 PM  
violingal3

We did a segway tour in SF last fall with another couple and it was a big hit! We also did one in Seattle a few years back more of as a joke (my dh had always wanted to ride one). We all thought it was pretty dorky but it turned out to be the best way to tour the city, and a lot of fun! Dh and I had been to SF many times, but this other couple had never been and we all enjoyed the SF tour. Kids really have fun on them too!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 06:29 PM  
mtnmom

If you want a beach day, head to Santa Cruz or Capitola. As mentioned above, Santa Cruz has the Boardwalk. It's free to enter and you just pay for the rides. You could even travel to Felton and board the "Beach Train", which is a historical steam engine and the ride originates in the redwoods. http://www.roaringcamp.com/beachtrain Santa Cruz generally has warmer weather than San Francisco or Monterey, although you are still likely to get morning fog.
Old 07-07-17, 12:34 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

SF Bay Area veteran here (lived in SF proper for 11 years and in the mid-Peninsula in San Mateo for 3 years)... My tips for families with kids:

SF itself - pricey
Exploratorium
Academy of Sciences

SF itself - cheap or free
Angel Island - lesser known than Alcatraz but if you want to enjoy a hike, see great views of the bay, learn a bit of history and picnic (and don't care that much about Al Capone), this is a better option and also entails a very enjoyable ferry ride
Coastal Trail (hike along the northwest corner with amazing views)
Coit Tower (include a hike up the Greenwich Steps... totally worth it!)
Bernal Heights (cute neighborhood stretch along Cortland to get a feel for true local life then hike up the hill for vista view of city without fog)
Walk along the 24th St corridor and up and down Valencia and Mission (try tacos, ice cream and other goodies along the walk)

Peninsula - cheap or free
Curiodyssey - mini zoo and mini Exploratorium, surrounded by Coyote Point (bay-side beach and awesome Magic Mountain Playground)
Pescadero - sleepy farm town... great drive along Highway 1
Princeton Harbor - beach life with occasional fog, great harbor
Moss Beach - harbor seals, tide pooling!

Further south
Big Basin Redwoods or Henry Cowell Redwoods - avoid Muir Woods (way too crowded, not enough communing with nature) and head here instead
Wine tasting in the Santa Cruz Mountains - way more affordable and way more laid back than Napa/Sonoma (hence more kid-friendly)... check out a cluster of wineries in Saratoga and in downtown Santa Cruz, and the Corralitos corridor is further out but amazingly beautiful so pack a picnic and then en route to...
Moss Landing - the "water safari" is absolutely a must-do as is lunch at Phil's
Pacific Grove - cute town, lesser known than overpriced and crazy busy Monterey (which has a great aquarium) and the best seafood at Passion Fish
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote