Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-16, 12:55 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Katmom or anyone who might know, is it possible to drop Direct TV/At&T if you are in a 2 yr contract? We have had so much trouble with their raising our bill, and constantly spend hours on the phone with them over this!
We just did this with comcast... They have storefronts now, so it's much easier to go in person and they are really good about getting your bill down or canceling - but over the phone, forget it! Monitronics, our alarm system, canceling was a pure nightmare, and we were loyal customers for 9 years.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 01:26 PM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Katmom or anyone who might know, is it possible to drop Direct TV/At&T if you are in a 2 yr contract? We have had so much trouble with their raising our bill, and constantly spend hours on the phone with them over this!
I still had a few months on my contract when I dropped the AT&T cell service and would have been charged for the remaining months. However, since the poor signal service was their fault, I did not have to pay for the remaining contract months.

And yes, I spent way too much time on the phone with AT&T when they continued charging for the cancelled internet service and the subsequent calls to them when they decided to add long distance service that I did not request.
Old 07-01-16, 07:30 PM  
primrosecat

All 0f our issues were caused by their overcharging us. When we resorted to talking about cancelling, they insisted we would have to pay the balance of the
2 yr contract. It took us 3 months to straighten this out.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 07:40 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Well said, my sentiments exactly! When I canceled Pilates anytime, it was like your #1, no hassle and they let my subscription run to end of the pay period. When I canceled Essentrics tv, I did so several days before the month ended as I had to email them and wanted to be sure the charges stopped. They stopped my subscription before the month was up even though I paid for it, which I know is their policy, but I don't agree with it.
I think the Essentrics policy is pretty bad. They will cancel as soon as you contact them; I've had to time it just a few business days in advance.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 08:13 PM  
mtnmom

Evernote, it is so easy to upgrade, but very difficult to downgrade. It isn't enough to cancel online, but you have to do something on your mobile device in addition to get out of it and it isn't obvious how to do it. It wasn't always like that. At least I didn't have to call CS and get the runaround hard-sell.
Old 07-02-16, 07:44 AM  
killoffsonny

Reading this thread makes me fantasize about quitting my gym. They take money out of my bank though so I guess if they give me a hassle I could just tell the bank to stop paying them. I am not ready to quit yet but when I do I don't want to get any crap from them. They don't need to know why I'm quitting. It's my money.
Old 07-02-16, 10:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Reading this thread makes me fantasize about quitting my gym. They take money out of my bank though so I guess if they give me a hassle I could just tell the bank to stop paying them. I am not ready to quit yet but when I do I don't want to get any crap from them. They don't need to know why I'm quitting. It's my money.
Why wouldn't you want them to know why you are quitting? If there is a problem, maybe they can fix it?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 11:41 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Why wouldn't you want them to know why you are quitting? If there is a problem, maybe they can fix it?
I'm assuming the issue is more when companies won't just cancel your service without demanding some sort of explanation and then offering umpteen million "rebuttals" based on the reason you gave, trying to convince you to stay. They usually have a whole list of predetermined comebacks for any possible reason you give why you are canceling, to try to convince you to not quit the service. But really, there are lots of reasons you wouldn't want to be a member of a gym that are not something they can "fix" - like you prefer working out from home, you've moved further away, it no longer fits in your budget, you're just bored of the gym or found another gym you prefer... The point is you have every right to cancel a service you no longer want and don't owe them any explanation. Unless you are considering staying with a company if they make a particular change or offer you a better deal, you're better off refusing to tell them why you are leaving if you want to avoid 9 rounds of "but.. but... but..." refusing to take no for an answer. Or, as others have pointed out, give them a crazy reason like going to jail or bankruptcy that they're unlikely to have a rebuttal for.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 01:26 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
I think the Essentrics policy is pretty bad. They will cancel as soon as you contact them; I've had to time it just a few business days in advance.

~Beth
This must be the barre3 studio policy as well. If I go back I will not do another automatic draft.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 10:03 PM  
Leonana

My pet peeve is when there are no instructions on the website telling you the procedure for cancelling. This was the case with a streaming service. I e-mailed, but received no response. I kept getting charged each month, but I couldn't get any response. It was an overseas company, so I couldn't call.

I thought their web e-mail box was the same as the e-mail address, but apparently it was different. I tried the e-mail address in my regular e-mail account, and finally got a response. However, they stated they never received my previous e-mails, and they couldn't tell if I had accessed the streaming service, but they would refund me my two months. Reading between the lines, I don't think they believed me, that I hadn't used the service for those two months. They stated they had no problems getting the web e-mails from other people. I guess there was a glitch somewhere that prevented my previous web e-mails from going through, but it was annoying to be considered dishonest. I did respond and tell them they could read my check-ins on this forum, lol.

I think companies should have instructions on the website on how to cancel, and what response you should expect.

Tags
bad customer service