Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-13, 06:29 PM  
cmishel
VF Supporter

LL Bean

LL Bean has their own Cool Max All Sport socks that I buy for running and hiking. They are thin but slightly cushioned and they prevent blisters,

The store is in Maine but if you order from llbean.com, all shipping is free and everything is also guaranteed for life.

Cheryl
cmishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 02:33 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Do you think perhaps you could've worn a smaller size in the Balegas? Maybe the SmartWools will give you more of the padding the forefoot without the bulk in the heel. I love both brands.

Keep us posted on your sock reviews. I only semi jokingly refer to myself as the Princess and the Pea of Footwear ...... or should I be Goldilocks in search of the combo that's "Just right"?!?
No, I think actually the Balegas are the right size, and what's nice is that all these fancy socks are sized, so I'm finally wearing some that are small enough. I checked out the Balegas and they have a light heel cushion but no forefoot cushioning. I think I tend to have more of a fore or midfoot strike, so tend to need some padding there.

Which as you say, is making me the princess and pea too because I feel like I need just the right socks and now, shoes that are slightly different than the half dozen pairs I already own because none seem adequately cushioned in the right place or have quite enough arch support!

Anyway, I think I'll be trying out another pair tomorrow (unless this horrible wind sticks around) and will post again.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 03:41 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Tried the Asics Hydrology socks on today's 6.5 mile run and was surprised that probably the cheapest socks in the box worked really well. They had just the right amount of heel and forefoot cushion. They fit properly, so the arch support band was in the right place. Most importantly, at the end of my run, my feet didn't feel hot or abraded.

Here's what I've found I need (things to consider for others looking for socks).
  • Light cushioning for heel and forefoot
  • Proper size (my feet are quite small)
  • Socks without nylon seem to work best

I think I may try the one pair of Drymax socks I got, but since the Asics work so well and came in a 3-pack, they're probably the winners for now.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 04-11-13, 05:18 PM  
cyana

I've been anxiously awaiting the newest installment. I'm really glad to hear the Asics sound like winners. I clicked on the link and was interested to see they're supposed to be designed to reduce heel slippage, since that's a major problem for me. I'll definitely have to try to find these at one of the running or sporting good stores.

Thanks for the update.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 09:07 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Got my shipment of Balegas yesterday, and when I first saw them, I thought "uh-oh", because usually socks that are that low slip and slide into my shoe and just drive me absolutely nuts, but these were soooooo comfy for my workout this morning (Dream Body, Tabata & Toning, so a fair amount of potential to slide) and did not slide at all!!! Thanks for the pointer!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 09:13 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Yay, glad to hear that it's working out for both of you.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 10:12 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I've been anxiously awaiting the newest installment. I'm really glad to hear the Asics sound like winners. I clicked on the link and was interested to see they're supposed to be designed to reduce heel slippage, since that's a major problem for me. I'll definitely have to try to find these at one of the running or sporting good stores.

Thanks for the update.
The Balegas felt slippery all over for me. I thought it might be the nylon, because they're the only ones that had that. I feel like Goldlilocks--Thorlos had too much cushion, Balegas not enough, and the Asics were just right.

Now I'm reexamining my shoes because either they're worn out or I need something with more forefoot cushioning. Ouch!

Old 07-14-14, 10:35 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Bumping this thread to give more two thumbs up to Smartwools. I used them during our hikes in Acadia National Park. No blisters, no sweaty feet, what is there to complain about? Two thumbs up!
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 10:41 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I didn't realize I'd been looking for socks for so long until I saw this thread! I ended up getting custom orthotics last year and that helped my foot issues some. As far as socks, my two favorites are Smartwool and these Icebreaker socks. I love that the Icebreaker are designed for left and right feet. I usually get them at Sierra Trading post, that's where they're cheapest, but they don't have many sizes.

Wool socks are the way to go, for me. I don't wear wool anything because it always itches. I was shocked that it's not the case with socks.

Old 07-16-14, 01:36 PM  
Janzia
VF Supporter

Sounds like you found your socks. I love all the above mentioned ones, smartwool, balega, and thorlos experia. Another I like that I didn't see mentioned is Feetures, they remind me a bit of my smartwools and I think they have that right and left foot feature too.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."~John "the Penguin" Bingham
Janzia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
socks