Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-10, 12:41 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Sophie kat,
I tended to be anemic too b4 I've made the switch (almost 3 yrs ago.) and with help of a vegetarian/vegan multi vitamin that's all being taken cared of. Besides, I'm the only vegetarian in my family; both of my kids eat meat (well, the occaisional hot dog, bacon or chicken nuggets, which for the latter I offer them the fake ones which they like thankfully.) . My DH eats what I cook but if he craves a piece of steak, he'll buy and make it for himself. Since I see it as a very personal decision, I'm absolutely fine with that. (Of course I would hope that my kids follow my footsteps one day... but they'll have to want to!)
Anyway, what I'm saying is: You don't have to eat meat if you don't want to, even if your SO does!
-Sorry, didn't mean to step on my soapbox!.. I sometimes get carried away...

http://www.vegetariantimes.com has some yummy recipes as well as other sites, if you'd be interested.

I will glance through my thick folders and books and see that I'll post my ultimate favorite recipes soon! (Sloppy Lentils come immediately to mind )

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 10:28 AM  
OxfordComma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
welcome susan! good job maintaining your weight loss.
Thanks to both of you for the congrats!

I am actually an ectomorph and was always slender (skinny fat though) before, but taking care of mom involved a lot of sitting with her and watching, plus my family ate out a LOT during that time. I kept looking at myself like....where did all this come from, this is not my body, somebody HAAAAAALP!!!!

I don't regret it all though, I am grateful both for the chance to have been able to help my family and also because I learned to really take care of my body better than I ever did before. One thing that does not involve weight loss at all but is significant to me- I have mild scoliosis and for much of my life walked a bit slouched and bent over to the right. I never thought there was a lot I could do about that. But after some time on the mat I noticed that my posture was tremendously improved and I stood an inch taller. I am now a little obsessed and any video with "core" in the title automatically catches my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
i really hope you ladies will share some of your vegetarian recipes! i would love to go vegetarian, but my SO has a vitamin B12 deficiency and is very prone to anemia so his doctor ordered him to eat meat at least once a week.
That sounds sensible under the circumstances. Sorry you have to deal with it though, it sounds like a worry .

I am the only vegetarian here. I am married to a meat and potatoes man who affectionately refers to my cooking as "weird", although I have gotten him to try a few things. I have been vegetarian for 18 years and I avoid the processed stuff, the fake corndogs and so on (although with kids around I can see buying it for them)- I am mostly about whole grains, beans and green stuff. Never had a problem with b12 or anemia but I do take a multi on those days I feel I didn't quite get it all covered.

I used to cook for the week and freeze things but I am not that well-organized these days. I still think it's a good idea for those who can manage to get it together .
OxfordComma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 12:46 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Welcome, Susan.

It sounds like you have lurked for a long time.

I am impressed with your maintaining your weight loss. Maintainence is so much harder than the initial stages.

Continued best wishes.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 01:38 PM  
OxfordComma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Welcome, Susan.

It sounds like you have lurked for a long time.
I have. It sounds a little creepy when I think about it that way .

Truly I just often felt that many people were more knowledgeable and/or advanced than I was, so I preferred to read.

Thanks for the welcome.
OxfordComma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 07:24 PM  
new2me

Hi and welcome from me to Susan!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:24 PM  
rosyposy

Hi! I have recently joined the forum, after lurking for awhile. I have also recently became addicted to buying exercise dvds! I am an intermediate exerciser and enjoy a wide variety of different exercises. Right now I am into Ellen Barrett. Love reading the forum for inspiration and ideas.
rosyposy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:48 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Welcome, RosyPosy.

I love your VF name.

Hope you continue to enjoy VF. It is definitely a place of inspiration.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 02:32 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyposy View Post
Hi! I have recently joined the forum, after lurking for awhile. I have also recently became addicted to buying exercise dvds!
Yeah, we warn most newbies to hide their credit cards while reading here! Seriously, welcome to VF. Hopefully, you'll continue to find lots of ideas and inspiration.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 11:47 AM  
htimpaired

Hello,
I joined this forum last week. I have been exercising since age 18 (30 now) with a four year hiatis that ended in January. I have restarted my workout regimen and lost about 20 lbs so far, got hopefully at least another 10 to go. I am trying to keep the motivation going, so I am exercising in the AM before I go to work, and finding that the change in the time of day I work out is making a difference ( I can't talk myself out of it anymore!). And I feel SO much better!
Recently got a Kelly Coffey-Meyer DVD, always on the lookout for new fun DVDs to try. Glad to be here!
Mel
htimpaired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 02:42 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Hi Mel,

It sounds like you are on your way to reaching your goals! If it would help you to have a small group to talk to and report to, you might want to check out the section with check ins. They are smaller groups that start a new thread on a schedule (whatever the group decides) and they check in with each other. Some are totally exercise oriented. Some are gabfests (which I can say because I'm in one of those ). Anyway, just a thought.

Oh, and welcome to VF!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread