Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-09, 09:13 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Debbie - what kind of training would you classify these as?

Thanks.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 10:06 AM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120
Debbie - what kind of training would you classify these as?

Thanks.
The 7DP system as a whole is in the "maintain muscle/lose fat" category (some of it muscle endurance, some metabolic resistance training).

It is hard to compare to anything else off the top of my head.

It is not for adding muscle mass or gaining significant strength, however those can be lesser side effects depending on the weights you choose.

Of course, this is not an elaborate "system" like Beachbody would sell. This is a set of DVDs to combine with your own cardio choices and nutrition program. The latter choices (especially what you put in your mouth) will have a great effect on your overall results.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 11:33 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Debbie, as I've stated before, I really appreciate the thought and care you take when writing your posts. Although I haven't started using it yet, I love what I've previewed of 7DP, and must thank you again for your assistance!! Unlike other systems (like CLX) I do prefer the idea of adding my own cardio (although, interestingly, there is no information provided which suggests you do so), and love the 1/2hr routines.

I've been following the CLX posts as well. (Boy, did THEY get heated! ) I have no immediate plans to buy CLX, but was wondering if 7DP can be used at least somewhat similarly. I realize of course it wouldn't provide the same results, but I like the fact that it would promote fat loss as well as provide some MRT. My goal is, foremost, to lose weight - I am fairly strong but quite overweight - and at my age (47) I don't want to lose muscle more than I have to. My plan is to use 7DP for a month or two, and then try something different... maybe CLX, but actually I'd like to see what I can do using workouts I already have.
Do you think that's a good plan, or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 11:42 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
BTW: David's mother told me they digitally retouched the photo to "erase" his underwear!
That sounds like the sort of thing a guy would tell his mother.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 12:40 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk
That sounds like the sort of thing a guy would tell his mother.
OMG, that's so true!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 02:41 PM  
cmishel
VF Supporter

Wow, I ordered this set Monday night and all ready recieved them this morning. I haven't had a chance to look at them, but my 16 y/o dd can't wait to start these.
BTY I ordered on line and did what someone else said about putting in the subject line about not wanting the bands. I got a nice note and corrected invoice from Helen. A very pleasant experience.
Thank you to all you enablers.
cmishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 03:00 PM  
eastblvd

Okay, it's either going to be this or CLX. I need to lose fat and build (some) muscle, but losing fat is the top priority.

I enjoy doing my own cardio.

Which should it be?
eastblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 03:19 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

7DP is cheaper than CLX and you probably won't have to deal with the bad dvd problem.
Old 01-14-09, 03:47 PM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Debbie, as I've stated before, I really appreciate the thought and care you take when writing your posts. Although I haven't started using it yet, I love what I've previewed of 7DP, and must thank you again for your assistance!! Unlike other systems (like CLX) I do prefer the idea of adding my own cardio (although, interestingly, there is no information provided which suggests you do so), and love the 1/2hr routines.

I've been following the CLX posts as well. (Boy, did THEY get heated! ) I have no immediate plans to buy CLX, but was wondering if 7DP can be used at least somewhat similarly. I realize of course it wouldn't provide the same results, but I like the fact that it would promote fat loss as well as provide some MRT. My goal is, foremost, to lose weight - I am fairly strong but quite overweight - and at my age (47) I don't want to lose muscle more than I have to. My plan is to use 7DP for a month or two, and then try something different... maybe CLX, but actually I'd like to see what I can do using workouts I already have.
Do you think that's a good plan, or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks!
I am really happy to hear that you are liking what you see upon preview!

Your goals for this set are exactly what I would suggest it for, so I think it will provide you with what you want!

It will be a "leaning" rotation for me..for sure.

This set has enough to retain your muscle mass, as long as you make sure to use weights that cause failure. David's programs are always geared to keep you "lean, perky and sexy" (LOL...could not resist) without adding too much muscle.

Trust me that with the number of back to back sets in ths program (circuits, giant sets, tri-sets, etc.) without rest, you will be taxing your metabolism.

You will not be able to go as heavy as with CLX, but I personally will need more weight than David has the "ladies" using to get optimal metabolic results. Since you mentioned you were strong, I am sure that you will too.

Go as heavy as you can for each set, even if that means that you have to use more sets of dumbbells than David does. For example, I would not use the same set of three dumbbels to work my chest (for the L, M, H designations in my breakdowns) that I would to work my triceps. My chest is obviously stronger.

I may also need less weight by the time I get to the second giant set of some muscle groups because I am fatiqued.

I hope that does not sound complicated. If you take notes the first time through, it will be easier to monitor the weights you need. Because, even thought it is not stated, you do want to feel like you cannot do another rep by the end of each set.

I don't know what you have in terms of dumbbells, but would suggest laying out a larger range than David does and then see how it goes.

Let me know if you need any help optimizing things when you start working with the program.

For weight loss, just make sure to do sufficient cardio. Do it at a different time of day (AM on an empty stomach is my best fat burning time) or do it AFTER your 7DP workout (not before) for best results.

I can see why people may want cardio sugestions included in 7DP, but I never really thought about it. I guess I just assume that people know to do cardio! Maybe that is a poor assumption. In UNYBP David spells out the cardio - 45 minutes 7 days a week! But that is because UNYBP is a very specific rapid 14 day weight loss program.

As far as CLX goes:

CLX is just the latest "it" workout. Please don't feel that you have to own that particular program to lose weight! It causes weight loss through caloric burn.......but it is just one way to burn more calories.

The main reason it is working for people is because people are sticking to it and are motivated to eat cleaner and work harder. New total "systems" always have that effect.

I am sure when STS is released, it will be all the rage!

Others are totally oblivious to CLX, STS and 7DP and are happily doing barre workouts and dance cardio!

And what about kettlebells? My kettlebell workouts are even better MRT than CLX!!!!

Anyways...you get my point! There are 100 different paths to the same goal.

Maybe I will just keep CLX and lend it to different people for 3 months at a time! Caring and sharing and all of that good stuff!

As far as your last sentense, I am not sure what you meant...did you mean...what do I think you should do after 7DP?

I don't really know what workouts you do normally, what works for you, what doesn't, etc. So, without more information, I couldn't really comment.

HTH

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 03:48 PM  
c4ward

Hi everyone. I'm checking in after doing the week of 7D Perscription. I really can't go on enough how much I like it. Non of the DVD's run over 30 minutes. Most clock in around 28 minutes start to finish. I've combined it with my new obsession of spinning class and feel great. There's ample room for growth depending on the weights used. I can't thank Deb enough for bringing it to all of our attention. The only problem with being a vidiot is now that I've found this, I want more, more, more! I'm thinking of alternating this with Barry's Bootcamp (the original) for a while. I added a bit of my own ab work to the series. I'll check in with results. Coleen/ c4ward
c4ward is offline   Reply With Quote