Old 12-12-08, 01:29 PM  
antbuko

MMA = mixed martial arts
Old 12-12-08, 01:54 PM  
Gaylene

Snip-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G
I don't mind Cathe being more serious, if I want goofy....I'll do P90X, lol (although that's no walk in the park either!)

Kathy
I agree, serious Cathe or goofy Tony, it's all good if the program is good. But one point in the clips bothered me- when Cathe removes some weight from a weighted glove in between exercises. If this program requires adjustments of OUNCES, it's way too serious for me, I'm afraid.
Gaylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:26 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
In her more recent series (the no-name series and 4DS), she lost a little of that. And now, watching the you-tube clips for STS, she seems totally serious.

It doesn't make me want to work out with her. I wish she'd bring back the fun. I've also noticed comments about this in the current STS thread.

Anyone else bothered by this?
I think sometimes Cathe has gone a bit too far with the 'fun": I can do without easily-dated comments about the little one not sleeping (which gets old fast) and her laughing at her own 'humor' (annoying, especially when she says something that's no so funny to me), and her giggling a lot (I happened to catch Muscle Max on Fit TV a while ago, and I couldn't help but notice her laughing 'too much' (something I didn't notice when I did the workout, though).

I do find the STS Cathe I've seen on the clips to be a bit too serious. Maybe it's all the counting? Maybe it also seems that way because the backgrounders seem so serious (especially the new ones).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:28 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni
That is one of the reasons I find Stretchmax and some parts of Coremax boring. She seems almost robotic in these workouts, imo.
I agree completely on Stretch Max.
It was very dismall (and I got rid of it fast for that reason and others).

I do like serious instructors, but there is a limit. I thought Cathe was fine in 4DS. I like her in CTX (serious but not glum, motivating but not hyper).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:36 PM  
bubbles76

I agree that Cathe has gotten serious over the years. I like my instructors to look like they're having a good time. I don't mind so much in the strength workouts but in the cardio workouts I'd rather see them have fun. That's why I'm a big Christi fan
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:40 PM  
Conni

Good point about Christi. She has gotten even better over the years, and she is my age. Perhaps you can look at things with more humor as you age, yes?

Anyways, I do believe that is the huge draw I have with her. How can you not smile with her workouts?
Old 12-12-08, 03:00 PM  
beth22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylene
Snip-
when Cathe removes some weight from a weighted glove in between exercises. If this program requires adjustments of OUNCES, it's way too serious for me, I'm afraid.
I actually have those weighted gloves and the weights in them are a pound each. I completely understand how the removal of one pound may sound way too serious and kinda crazy, but when I was lifting heavy I loved having that one pound increment to go up or down--it really can make a difference.

Having said that, I do notice that Cathe is a bit more serious in her newer (2006/2007/2008) series' than in her older workouts. I don't mind it, though. I like how with each series you get to see a slightly different side of her.

I received STS as a gift and I'm glad I did and am very grateful for it, but honestly--I don't see myself using it anytime in the near future. I'm not into heavy lifting right now at all and I don't see myself going back to it anytime soon. As awful as this sounds, I may end up just selling STS when it arrives (and I feel so guilty about saying that since it was given as a very generous gift ). I'm interested in the 1st Mesocycle, but the 2nd and 3rd just seem way too daunting and not fun at all. I also have no interest in doing my one rep max tests---way too much work and math involved in all of that .

Cathe, herself, isn't too serious for me right now.....but STS definitely is.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 04:31 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
It doesn't make me want to work out with her. I wish she'd bring back the fun. I've also noticed comments about this in the current STS thread. There was also another thread recently about comments in workouts that caught your attention. Cathe's comments were mentioned, but they were from much earlier workouts.

Anyone else bothered by this?
Yup. I did Step Jam this week and was refreshed by the "fun" Cathe. I haven't preordered her stuff in a while. Its less important to me at 51 to be superfit, superbuff than it is to be strong but not ache. If I want a serious no fun workout I can just lift weights on my own.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 04:35 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G
I love the intensity of her new stuff. I'm doing a rotation with 4DS and Gym Style weight work and it's kickin' my butt! I don't mind Cathe being more serious, if I want goofy....I'll do P90X, lol (although that's no walk in the park either!)

Kathy
Please share your rotation...I'm always looking for new ideas. TIA!
Old 12-12-08, 04:40 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Angela,
It's actually Fitness Freak's Dec rotation posted on the rotation forum (she makes up so kickbutt rotations but this the first one I've tried).

Here's the link:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/...d.php?t=255025

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote