Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-16, 11:41 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Aldi's - revisited

Just thought I'd post a follow up thread on Aldi's.

After visiting for several months- this is my conclusion, please add your own.

Aldi's is the place you go to buy generics. Fresh produce is usually much less expensive than what I can get at the other supermarkets- the quality varies- and probably as much by when it was delivered as anything else.

They also have an aisle with one time buys, the kind of stuff that might hit Big Lots, but in better condition and usually less expensive than the grocery or Big Lots (which for some items can cost more than my local grocery). The frozen section also has a bunch of one time things. This time I bought some frozen meals for 99 cents that were very good, based on couscous and other alternative grains. They tend to have some unusual things in that frozen section that I think would appeal to vegetarians and people who look for what used to be called "health food".

Meat- variable like the grocery- love their organic grass fed burger- about $6 a pound. Their regular ground beef doesn't have any flavor to me, but I do buy the ground beef- sirloin is good. I've bought chicken once and overcooked it, so not sure about that, but they do have organic as well as not organic but with other claims about hormones or antibiotics.

Vegetables, if you eat frozen, they have some and they are good. Canned, we don't mind store brand but prefer no salt- there are a few choices, but not green beans- one of the three canned veggies we buy (green beans, corn and beets.)
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 12:15 PM  
caitlinpyle

I love Aldi! I first went in Germany, and I was thrilled when they entered Florida.

I was in South America for a year and after we returned, Aldi had changed a lot for the better. They carry a lot of organics now. Chopped organic kale cheaper than any grocery store in town. Organic coconut oil. Rolled oats. Maple syrup. Quinoa. Brown basmati rice. Organic veggie broth. Amazing fresh salsas. Guacamole. Everything is less expensive than Trader Joe's, too, so I can buy pretty much anything I see and know I'm getting a great deal. Only Costco has lower prices on some things -- but not all!

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 12:34 PM  
pcdoctor01

I love Aldi's too but won't buy meat there. (I'm too chicken. I'd rather buy meat from Publix or Kroger's) I used to buy yogurt at Aldi's. I had two bad experiences and no longer buy yogurt there. 99% of the items I buy from Publix is bogo.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 01:15 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I wish they would bring back their frozen cheese/fruit blintzes. Man those were good!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 01:20 PM  
cherimac

Several years ago my husband bought non-organic beef there. Two different times, two months apart. Both times my oldest got sick.There had to be some weird preservatives in it that he was sensitive too. I love Aldi and need to try the organic meat sometime.
Old 09-09-16, 01:23 PM  
antbuko

I visited earlier in the summer to check it out. I have read that you can save big on organics but they did not have enough of what I like to buy. I can see the appeal for families; lot's of bulk frozen, packaged and canned goods, which I don't buy. The produce alone was not worth the trip for me.
Old 09-09-16, 02:08 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I LOVE Aldi's! Unfortunately the closest one to me is about 40 minutes away so I take my big cooler when I go (especially in the summer...with ice).

I stock up on pantry items like olive oil, olive oil spray, canola oil/butter spread, cereal, 5 lb. bags of rice, tuna packets, chips, crackers, berry preserves, steel cut oats, and cookies (of course, lol!)

We've learned what we like and don't like at Aldi's.

Likes: eggs, kcups (for keurig), chili beans, corn tortillas, refrigerated pizza, frozen pizza, frozen vegetables, frozen chicken cordon bleu, cheese slices, cheese sticks, some of their lunchmeats, bread, croissants, English muffins, and bagels. Most of the produce but I really look it over for spoilage signs before I buy it. I've had good luck with potatoes, onions, bananas, and avocados.

Dislikes: frozen hamburger patties (blech! had a weird taste!), frozen lasagna (like stouffers but tasted very bland!), frozen sausage patties, frozen breakfast sandwiches, and frozen waffles.

I've bought the 97% lean beef, pork chops, and steak before with no issues. I haven't bought chicken though. DH is super leary about any meat from there, but I don't have any issues with it (but he has a very sensitive stomach).

I heard that we may get a new Aldi's store in our area soon. I'm really hoping we do, I keep checking their website to see if they have any news.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 02:43 PM  
marki64

I have gone to Aldi's a couple times. I am not real impressed, though. I've only gone in there to pick up a few items. I don't know if they are all the same, but they don't provide bags and they charge for a cart to take groceries to your car. I don't always like generics either, so I tend to stick w/our Pick N Save and Meijer's.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 02:46 PM  
pcdoctor01

I buy the white Choceur chocolate and strawberry licorice.
I stopped buying the strawberry licorice though because sometimes it was too hard.

pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 03:19 PM  
topfitmama

Oh, wow! Aldi doesn't carry many of those products around here! I am happy to see more organic, health-conscious and fairtrade products showing up on our Aldi shelves as of late.
I've got really good bargains there too. The last one was a fairtrade, organic cotton yoga top. down to €1! I'll make sure to check those bins tomorrow when I go shopping, see if there are any left!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldi