Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-14, 09:01 PM  
JENILU

Yoga DVDs with no Upper Body Tweakers?

...Meaning no down dog or chaturunga, etc.... I am missing my yoga, and speaking w/ another VFer, I am realizing that there are probably more options than I can think of. I have some severe issues that don't look like a lot of my faves will be doable soon (not giving up, just taking a break from my pity party and self abuse for a little while). I love pilates and standing pilates, but yoga has a vibe/feeling that I am missing. I don't do kundalini or anything chanty, but you can include those so that this can be a list for everyone- or if there is already a list, please point me to it. I have a few that I am gonna drag out and try (along with the 20,000 other things I am trying to do right now, lol). But would love a good long list, or even the modifications you use if you have the same problem. (I am sorry. I hav been given a few mods before, but got so bad for a while I gave up and forgot them in the mean time)
Please list me a bunch!!!
TIA Love you guys!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 10:16 PM  
Sissy B

Travis Eliot has a 10 Minute Yoga Flow on YouTube that was filmed in Florence, Italy. It consists of forward folds, Warrior, reverse Warrior & Triangle for the most part. No down dogs or chaturungas that I remember. It's a nice little practice. The 6 minute practice does have down dogs. I have done them both, and I prefer the 10 minute practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1Y88-OWM8
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 10:59 PM  
laurajhawk

Most of the segment's on Rodney Yee's AM Yoga For Your Week have few if any down dogs and no chaturangas. The High Noon practice on Sara Ivanhoe's Yoga on the Edge doesn't have them, and I think the Sunset practice doesn't either (maybe there is a down dog or two).

Modification: When down dogs or chaturanga/up dog/down dog are used for transition (as in a vinyasa practice), you could just go back into child's pose instead.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 11:35 PM  
JENILU

Thankyou both so much!! I have AM yoga for your week but have been afraid to look. I will totally check out that on on youtube! (and thank y'all for the moifications)

I will put a list here and update if others post:
Prctices with no or hardly any down dog and chatarunga:

- Travis Eliot 10 Minute Flow on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1Y88-OWM8
- AM yoga for your Week (not many)
- Yoga on the Edge High Noon Practice
- Yoga Zone Conditioning and stress Release
- some of Sara Ivanhoe's Body Makeover series
- Suzanne Deason Yoga Conditioning for Weightloss
- Young at Heart Series by Susan Winter Ward

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 11-08-14, 11:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yoga zone - yoga for conditioning and stress release - alan finger

some of sara ivanhoe's yoga body makeover series is wrist friendly, if i recall. i haven't done that series in a long time.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 08:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

It's an old one, but Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss is free of wrist intensive moves IIRC.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 09:24 AM  
TinierTina

Don't let the Title Put you off, but

Yoga for the Young at Heart series by Susan Winter Ward ...

Not much with the arms; I remember the "3rd in the Series" seriously tweaking my hips.

Could that feeling you missed be a sense of calm afterwards, rather than deep, hypnotic centering?

Because when I gave up the yoga (arms certainly not being the largest muscles of the body. I stand by the fact that yoga will never be cardio used for therapeutic purposes for managing cardiovascular conditions). I thought it would be permanently; I missed that feeling too. I like both those feeling too, and still could live without the deeply centered feeling too; at this stage of the game ...

If a mild practice even sans arms doesn't turn you off, Susan Winter Ward may have something for you ... it is not "chair yoga" or "gentle yoga" or "restorative yoga"; or my favorite pejorative for the latter two: Sleepytime Yoga ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 07:56 PM  
JENILU

Thank y'all so much for your imput!! I will update the list. Any more thougts?

BZar - I actually have Sara's set. I thought I remembered there being a lot of Down dog and planks. I will have to look at them again. It would be great to be able to work short practices like that in again.
I haven't tried many Yoga Zones. Do you really like this one?

Pat - I have always heard good things about the yoga Conditioning for WL, but have never tried it. I may see if I can trade for it, as I see it on the boards sometimes. Thankyou for the rec!

Tina - I really don't know what it is I am missing. I feel kinda rung out, relaxed and detoxified when I am done- or thats what I remember anyway. Thankyou for the rec!