Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-13, 10:29 PM  
altinker

Barre Workouts and Abs

Hello,

I have been doing Barre workouts about 4 times a week for the last 3 months. I started with Fluidity Beginner/Intermediate and then moved on to all of the Bar Methods. I also have The Dailey Method that I've used a couple of times. I can do everything that I have, and I just ordered Physique 57. I am finding that I am still pretty weak on core -- I can't go down all the way for the pushups, and my abs are not really showing results yet.

How long does it take for abs to strengthen? Should I incorporate other ab work?

I did recently purchase some beach body programs (Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire) and do plan to rotate those in with Zumba for cardio.

Any suggestions?
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 01:17 AM  
slysam

I haven't tried most of the barre workouts you mentioned, so I am not sure. I started barre with the first volume of Physique 57. I actually did these workouts a lot. I did improve my endurance, lower body and core strength and balance doing these. I guess i improved my upper body strength as well since it was doing these when I was able to do my first ever on-toes full pushup. I did them about three times a week.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 03:18 AM  
starbelly

Suzanne Bowen's Gorgeous Core is a great way to build core strength. It might be a good idea to do this one (I especially like segment 3, Sleek Physique which uses a lot of plank variations) on its own. Doing planks/pushups after working your arms with weights might lead you to lean on the wrong muscles. Working the core in isolation might help you to build strength more quickly.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 04:36 AM  
topfitmama

I should try that workout, Starbelly. Thanks for the recommendation! (and it's available in Europe!!! )
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 06:50 AM  
starbelly

Topfitmama,

It's called Belly Blitz in Europe but it is the same DVD. I know it's available at amazon.co.uk and probably elsewhere, usually for less than 10 euros or so.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 03:06 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

why not give it more time. Are you wanting to do the complete workouts in 3 months? If you want to work your abs more why not do an add on of what you already have, i.e. leah sarago?

You can do all the ab parts on P57?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 10:38 PM  
altinker

I don't have P57 yet. I just ordered it. I've been mostly doing Bar Method and The Dailey Method and Fluidity. If you think P57 is tougher on the abs, then I will work with that.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 11:48 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by altinker View Post
I don't have P57 yet. I just ordered it. I've been mostly doing Bar Method and The Dailey Method and Fluidity. If you think P57 is tougher on the abs, then I will work with that.
Personally I don't think tougher means better. I think the types of ab exercises they use in P57 can be really hard to do with proper form (if you don't know how to do them properly) - and if using not using good form, then the benefits are lost.

I think the The Dailey Method has some of the better ab exercises in barre DVDs, and Jill explains the form quite well.

Personally, with most barre DVDs I skip doing their ab exercises and use Pilates exercises instead. I've found that I've gotten much much stronger from doing that than from following the exercises they're doing.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 12:32 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Tinker I think you want someone to give you a clear cut time frame as to when something will change within your body.

The best suggestion is do the whole body, your abs will get toned right along with the rest of your body. They are not as muscular as say, biceps which may show up sooner. But... Depending on how much surrounding flesh you have, it's going to take longer.

Just keep conditioning them. Do at least 30 days and then change your program. Do the ones you like and you will see visible results with consistency and patience and listening to your body.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 11:37 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by altinker View Post
P57 ab work is pretty tough. Of the other barre workouts you mentioned, the only one I tried was Dailey Method and while I thought it was good and had great instruction, I didn't find it as challenging as P57. I actually don't typically do barre ab work anymore either--mainly because I went through a phase where I stopped doing on the back ab work like crunches or barre c-curve work and just did plank variations. Since then I added in some standing core work and a little on the back ab work--I just don't like to spend a long time with lots of reps of on the back abs. But I remember the ab work in P57 was challenging and I liked the inclusion on the playground ball and some of the modifications they used. But the core related p57 work includes a couple sets of pushups and planks, the barre c-curve work and some back exercises (in the 57 minute workouts) so it does work the whole core pretty well.

As mentioned, Visible results in the abs have a lot to do with how much bodyfat you carry in that area and your diet. Functional results such as better balance and posture and finding ab workouts easier may appear before you see the aesthetic benefits (or may not depending on how your body fat is distributed).
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre abs