Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-20, 08:36 AM  
Negin

Weighted Vests - Any Reason to NOT get one?

I'm one year into post-menopause and would like to do everything I can in order to prevent bone loss in my spine. My mom has a terrible dowager's hump/kyphosis. Physiologically I'm not like her at all. Still, I would like to be cautious.

I never knew much about weighted vests until recently. I'm considering ordering one to be shipped here. Since shipping and duties are so high in this part of the world, I would like to make sure that I make the best decision. In other words, I'd like to make sure that I get my money's worth and that it gets used. I'm looking into using it with Leslie and Jessica walks.

My questions are:
Did anyone find that a weighted vest just sat there and was a waste of money?
We live in a hot and humid part of the world, but I do exercise in air conditioning, so that helps.
According to the BMI, I am obese.
Were you happy with your purchase?
Any recommendations or suggestions?
I'm looking into this one.
Old 09-17-20, 09:57 AM  
jcmclean

I have two one light and one heavy because I don't like changing the weights. They don't work for all exercises. Pushups and pullups can become too heavy. The vest can bunch up when doing burpees. Sometimes the vest bounces uncomfortably depending on the rhythm of the cardio. But overall I like the intensity it adds without holding the weight.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 01:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this thread is tagged - try looking at other threads for feedback on getting one.

i don't have one, however, i have 2 weighted belts that go around your hips. both were from a Leslie Kit and a 10MS kit. they're each 2 pounds.

i thought of getting a weighted vest, but i like my 2 belts and i use other forms of resistance for cardio. i have a walking power belt which is light but provides a lot of resistance, enough to raise my HR, but its overall weight is super light.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbelt-Wal.../dp/B008R3GBF0

i have used the weighted belts - 1 and 2 if i am ambitious - during cardio, and it's plenty of resistance.

for weighted vests, they've been lauded when used for lifting - people wanting to increase poundage if they had enough plates on their barbell - the vest was like a counterbalance.

weighted vests and belts are good because they're right in the center of your personal gravity.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 02:56 PM  
warriorprincess

I've always wondered if I could squat heavier with a weighted vest and a lighter bar. It feels like I might be limited by being pulled forward by the weight.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 07:54 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Warrior Princess: If the vest fits well, you won't be pulled forward by the weight. It's like adding the weight to your torso all over.

I used one with STS squat rack legs several years ago. I had 50-60 pounds on the bar and a 20 lb vest. It helped distribute the weight more evenly and I could still get the bar over my head without assistance. No way would I go heavier than that without a rack for the bar.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 04:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I got an adjustable 12 pound vest at Aldi early this year. I used it for walking to improve my bone density which took a steep drop about 3 years ago. Last year the bone density did not decrease but I want to make sure it remains steady or even improves.
I used the vest in the winter and up until my foot surgery in July. I am still increasing my walking mileage and am not ready to put extra weight on my foot at this time but I am looking forward to using the vest again when walking.

I had wanted to use a vest for quite some time but I am short and have a short torso so I had a hard time finding one that fits properly.
I can't imagine using the vest for any other purpose at this point because I already do strength training with weights.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-20, 01:10 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Negin,

The one you linked to seems pretty good, but I'm going to put out a few things for you to consider since I know you don't want to buy something that wouldn't work for you. One thing I wonder about is that the instructions say "the elastic should be at the waist" and in the picture that vest is much higher on her torso (and actually looks higher than that on the models in the smaller pictures as well. They may be tall so that's the way it looks. I would also wonder how that vest would work on a woman who is well endowed and how it would fit and whether it would be comfortable.

I do have one, it sits lower on me and I have been able to adjust it to fit. But unlike the one you are looking at, I can't adjust the weights and I would like to be able to do that. I use it for low impact work, probably should use it more than I do.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 04:40 AM  
Negin

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
The one you linked to seems pretty good, but I'm going to put out a few things for you to consider since I know you don't want to buy something that wouldn't work for you.
This is so helpful. Thank you. I think that I'll pause for now and either do more research or wait until we can travel to the U.S. (whenever that may be), so that if I do need to return it, I am able to do so.
Old 09-20-20, 03:49 PM  
LAC

Just throwing this out there for consideration... If anyone has back or neck issues (spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease), a weighted vest might not a good idea. A weighted belt is a better idea - it will give the same benefits for the hip as a weighted vest would, without causing the kind of vertebral compression a weighted vest does.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 10:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Just throwing this out there for consideration... If anyone has back or neck issues (spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease), a weighted vest might not a good idea. A weighted belt is a better idea - it will give the same benefits for the hip as a weighted vest would, without causing the kind of vertebral compression a weighted vest does.
Yes! I have a vertebral compression fracture so I can't wear my weighted vests anymore. I do have a weighted belt that goes up to 10lbs.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerbelt walking system, weighted vest