Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-01-20, 06:53 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Pilates Cross-Trainers SEPTEMBER 2020

Good morning!

Welcome to September check-in!

Leslie's Burn Body Fat 3 Miles Walk - 48min off youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr41_8QOTF8 Leslie uses 1-3 lbs handweights in this workout and I used 3lbs throughout. I only registered 2.53 miles but I don't care about the distance. I'm more interested in time spent working out and sometimes steps. I got 4800 steps in this workout.

I was going to start Week 5 of FF8 Challenge but I just wasn't feeling it. I wanted to move this morning, as in cardio.

Hope September is a good month for us all!
Old 09-01-20, 07:15 AM  
fanofladyvols

Happy September!!

I am also all over the place with my workouts lately and finally settled on Jessica Smith's WS1 set. Finished it over the last week and was really pleased with the mix of cardio, strength and stretch. Nice change from what I had been doing and yet sneaky challenging.
Today will be FitSplit boxing Bootcamp and some CS.

So am I REALLY FINALLY gonna start Slim in 6/Slim series on Wednesday? It won't look like the established rotations. I could never do the same workout for a whole week.. I can't believe it's taken me this long to try this. Fingers crossed I can make it through my Lindafied rotation.

Dana thanks for starting us off! Your adherence to your challenges is inspiring!

Safe web hugs to Christine, Cheri, Carol, Donna, and Brenda!!

Welcome wishes to any newcomers, too!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 07:51 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for starting us off, Dana!

Linda - I would love to hear about your "Lindafied" Slim rotation!

Yesterday, after work, I did Gina B's "decades" walk - '70's I did the warm-up, segments 1 & 2 and the cool down. The music is fun but the movements are repetitive. So, I think, overall, this set will be for add-ons/extra steps more than anything else.

Today was:

Yoga w/ Kassandra - Morning Yoga Challenge Day 2
Pahla B - Body Shaping Challenge Day 2- stretch. This was a short dynamic stretching routine.

Later today I would like to add on another segment from the '70's DVD and *maybe" Jessica Valent's pilates workout for the day...we shall see what time and energy I have.

I was not sore from Pahla's push-day, and I'm sure it is b/c I did not go as heavy as I could have - but it really is a balancing act. Some of the exercises, I felt would not mesh well w/ my lower back so I did not want to risk it. That is really the trouble I have w/ heavy weights to failure - a lot of times, it feels to me like a recipe for injury - particularly with some of the exercises chosen. All that said, I think I got benefit from yesterday's workout, so not a waste!

Linda - I am actually considering doing Jessica's 8 week program after I finish this challenge. I have always been "afraid" of it - but I think I can definitely modify it it to make it work for me.

Dana - nice work!

Waves, everyone ---

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 09:24 AM  
fanofladyvols

Donna I think people (mistakenly) believe Jessica is easy because of her pleasant demeanor. No matter how heavy or light you go, the brisk pace she does her workouts isn't easy. She does a great job of allowing you to challenge yourself safely.

I listened to a podcast once about training to failure...and the gist of it was that it isn't the end all to building muscle/strength. It talked about challenging yourself with the load but stopping short of failure. So that's what I have been doing ... challenging myself with the load but stopping just short of failure. Sometimes bumping down in weight for the second set/last few reps or using resistance bands if I can. Basically, I'm working my hardest in my earliest reps, then training for endurance for the remaining reps. I have been getting stronger and no injury. I think this approach works better for my body and for me mentally because it's eliminated any possibility of dread factor. You may or may not have DOMS because of the download or cooldown. The podcast also addressed the lack of necessity of having DOMS in building strength.

Anyway, just wanted to mention an alternate approach

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 09-01-20, 06:05 PM  
furmomof6

Shaped by Faith: Standing Pilates

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone! I hope to be more consistent with checking in this month.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 05:45 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Tuesday's workouts were:

Walk - 40 minutes;
Faithful Workouts - 10 Minute Workouts: Beginner Upper Body & Cool Down: Joy & Pain - 5 minutes

I enjoyed both of these short ones from Michelle. The Beginner Upper Body was filmed outdoors near Michelle's home and used a handled resistance band, light weights ( I used my 3's) and bodyweight - all standing work. The Cool Down was just a nice quick stretch. I wanted to squeeze in a short pilates routine, but ended up bringing work home and actually working on it instead.

Dana - Nice work, and nice find with the Leslie on YouTube. I haven't done that one in a long time.

Linda - Hard to believe you have never done Slim in Six. I did it back in the day, pretty much as written, and had good results, but ended up burning out. I wonder why. A Lindafied rotation would no doubt be better than the original one.

Donna - Nice work! Another veteran here who has never done Jessica's WS 3 program rotation as written.

Christine - Good to see you! Ease back into it.

Waves to Brenda & Cheri!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 07:38 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Yoga w/ Kassandra - Morning Yoga Movement Day # 3
Pahla B's Body Shaping Challenge - Day 3 - Cardio

Pahla's workout today was definitely more of my comfort zone - moderate cardio, Pahla style.

Yesterday I also walked on the TM for 25-30 min for some extra steps after work. The weather has been dreary here since Monday - rainy, humid, so no outdoor walk and I have just been feeling lazy anyway - pretty much about everything!

Carol - good job! I'm toying w/ dong WS 3.0 based on what I saw of the workouts when I did them as part of Calm & Strong - I do think I could make them work for me w/ modifications

Christine -good to see you!!!

Linda - that is very good information! Thank you - I can't see myself being the "train to failure" type these days and not sure that I ever was that type!

Cheri - I hope you are doing well w/ all that you have on your plate.

Waves, Dana, Brenda....

Donna
Old 09-02-20, 07:38 AM  
fanofladyvols

Christine it will be good to see you .. whenever you post

Carol I'm probably the only VFer who hasn't done a single SS or SI6, lol.

DonnaI'm posting these but keep in mind I have never actually done any of them. I am going to stop any reps during any workout that I feel is excessive for any body part and move forward in the workout. I also will listen to my body and add additional rest days or stretch days as my body says it needs. So here's the list that hopefully has the harder workouts spread out enough:
My rotation:
  1. Start it up
  2. Taebo and pilates
  3. Ramp it up
  4. CS
  5. Firm it up
  6. Taebo and pilates
  7. Shape it up 40 m upper
  8. Shape it up 38 m lower
  9. Slim & Limber
  10. Burn it up
  11. Taebo and pilates
  12. Tone it up
  13. Rest
  14. Tear it up
  15. Cool it off express
  16. Taebo/Slim and 6 pack
  17. Mix it up
  18. Cool it off
  19. Cardio core express
  20. Taebo and pilates
  21. Cardio sculpt express
  22. Taebo and pilates
  23. Keep it up
I don't know if I can stick through this..it will take me about a month. Committing to a month of a series when you've never done a single workout seems foolhardy.
Billy and Debbie will be a significant departure from Cathe though. If I hate the workouts then anywhere you see slim series I will do my Firms instead, haha

Happy Wednesday!!

Old 09-02-20, 07:48 AM  
donnamp

Linda - that looks good! I think TaeBo works well w/ the "slim" workouts for sure - and oddly, it also works well w/ a Ballet/Pilates style rotation, too. I remember way back when doing that very combo!

I wonder if I kept any notes about it - I will have to check.

Donna
Old 09-02-20, 08:15 AM  
fanofladyvols

Donna I have done and loved a Taebo and pilates rotation in the past. Thanks for letting me know it would work here