Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-06-20, 06:30 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Gym Styles Back, Shoulders and Biceps... DONE!

This one was back to a real more gym style. I would slow it down with more rests for a gym style, but it was more gym style. I read the reviews and saw how people thought it was bicep overkill, however I don't think she overkilled the biceps more than she did the triceps and chest!! Compared to that one, she left the biceps alone. HA! I skipped the wrist curls though. I used to try to do those, but honestly, in all my years of going to the gym, working at the gym, and training for teaching and training, I have NEVER seen anyone do wrist curls or be told to include them in a program for anyone other than for therapy. your forearms are trained throughout the program. I skipped them.

I paused a lot more than Cathe does, I don't know why everything with her is such a fire drill. Now that I'm doing her workouts, I do remember that she used to grate on my over time, I know we would not be good friends in real life. her ego is definitely way too big for me and annoying. Also, I remember I used to write down her workouts, and pause her to do a set, then unpause her, then pause her, then unpause her... to the point where I was wondering why I even had her on while I was working out. I will enjoy this little Cathe side rotation, however I don't think I could do her long term. She's good for dabbling in her workouts.

I enjoyed the whole workout. I do wonder why on the burnout sets with the band, why she does 7 reps at the high end, then 7, then 15!?? Shouldn't it go 15, 7, 7? Because if you were pushing yourself at 7, you shouldn't be able to do 15. Otherwise, the 7 wasn't enough resistance. So I don't think she is doing a true burnout set. Next time I will probably reverse it, now that I know.

So I am enjoying this foray into building muscle again. I love to lift and lift heavy, and although I am doggone bulky enough right now, maybe putting on muscle and doing what I absolutely love is what I need. Nothing is budging my body shape and size, so I guess do what I love. It might make me bigger, but I guess muscle is better than the fat and bloat I have! HA!

Today I am a little tired more than sore in my delt and biceps, and so far not feeling anything in my back. After the crazy soreness of the triceps and chest workout, I'm actually kinda disappointed!!

I also came to the realization I will not like the Jari Love slow and heavy workout (Boomers I think it is) workout that she put out. I had it on my list if I see it cheap enough at Amazon, but after the 4-4 sets of biceps with Cathe, I know I don't want it. That was bor-ing!

I am working on drinking more water though. I am noticing a difference over the last 2 days of trying to drink more that I FEEL less bloated, but I don't look less. Maybe that'll come with time.

Eventmom: I am not ready for the 90's! No way Jose!! It's been in the 60's here, and every day for about an hour the wind blows like crazy. Everything blows around. DH is working on the gutter on the house, and his ladder blows over (not with him on it though). Then it just stops. The shade is too cold, the sun is too hot. We did a social distancing visit with our senior friend yesterday, we had 6 of us show up with lawn chairs and sit in a giant circle in her front yard and she came out and we all had about an hour and a half chat. Our poor senior friend has been in her house, taking care of her very sick husband (Alzheimers, not Covid) and trying to avoid getting sick herself. I wish we would have thought to do that for her earlier in this pandemic, but I'm glad we did it now. She needed it so badly!

I am ready for businesses to open up, but not for people to be out and about. Go if you need to, but stay home if you can. I really think that if small businesses open up, the people density in the Walmarts and grocery stores and Home Depots and stuff will be less because it'll be more spread out. Plus people won't be losing everything they worked for. I am planning on staying at home as much as possible, and I think a lot of people are too. At least I hope so!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 01:59 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA goop 15 + 25 min christi taylor spice

rode 2 horses.

buzzer - restaurants and clothing stores closed. Take out was okay. but seems like everything else was essential... but I'm with you, I can handle things being open but not if people are going to shoot a security guard because they were asked to were a mask. requiring shirts and shoes is okay but a mask in a pandemic is just too much of an infringement on your rights??? sorry for the rant but it's crap like that that makes me want to just stay home. It was only 90 like one day, now we got a batch of 70s. a low of 41 coming up in a few days.

hi ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 07:08 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Ab Sculpt... done.
bob Harper Yoga... DONE!

The firm ab sculpt was a total joke. It was a beginner workout even for beginners. Seriously, she teaches you how to breathe at the beginning! I fast forwarded over that and went to the workout.... where she does some kinda Mickey Mouse stretches. The ab work was OK, very short though. I only spent about 15 minutes on the whole workout (which was 25 minutes long), but I really was upset I wasted that time.

I did like their fanny lifters though! They were bigger at the bottom than at the top, and had a black, looked like rubber, cover on the top. It made my fanny lifter look a little cheap, actually!! I want a nice rubber non-skid cover on mine too!

So I went to Bob Harpers yoga. I love it! I felt stretched after it. I skipped the ab work starting at the side planks, and just did the yoga. It felt really good, and I felt stretched out. I forgot how much I like this yoga.

So all together I did about an hour of work, but I definitely regretted the firm workout

We ventured out to Walmart yesterday for the first time in 2 months. It wasn't too bad!! There was about a normal amount of people there, maybe even more. Most people had masks on, but I have to admit I don't think to look down at the floor and see which way I'm "supposed" to go down an aisle. I just don't look down. So I am guilty of going the wrong way. No one seemed mad though, and I wasn't the only one. I took LB with me, since she hasn't been out shopping with me in 2 months. She loved it! I let her look at toys since her birthday is in a month, and we just took our time. It was nice.

I was afraid they would be limiting how many people could come in, but they didn't. everyone was friendly and we got what we needed.

Eventmom: here, everything but the big box retailers are closed. Walmart, drug stores, grocery stores, home depot and lowes are pretty much all that's open. Our jewelry store, restaurants (except take out/delivery), clothing stores, movie theaters, and all privately owned businesses are closed. I think it's just time to let everyone open and make their own decisions about going out. We are losing money

We had a good streak of days in the 60's and low 70's, but now we are expecting some snow tonight!! Not lots, less than 1/2", but still snow. All these people have already planted their gardens (although the rule of thumb has always been in Colorado to wait until after Mother's Day), and we are going to have snow, and then the next 10 days are rainy and in the 50's. I love it, because I'm not ready for hot weather, but hate it because I am ready for spring and to get OUT!!!

Today we are meeting a friend to ride bikes (her bike is getting a workout in this pandemic! Great way to social distance though). This is the last nice-ish day for the next 10, so I'm glad to get out!!!

Hi Ebianco!!! We miss you!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-07-20, 10:40 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

ravi & ana total beauty body didn't really enjoy it today.

buzzer - I have no idea why I said only clothing stores were closed, our closings look the same as yours.

so my dad is really sick and I'm scrambling to drive my horse trailer to AZ and hope to get there before he passes. so I won't be checking in for awhile.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 06:59 PM  
Buzzer

Oh Eventmom! I am so sorry! God speed to you my friend, and I will be praying that he can wait for you. Have a safe trip
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-08-20, 07:29 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Gym Styles Chest and Tris... DONE!

I liked this one again. I think it is the best of the 3 gym styles! I like her pacing, the workout, and the fact that on the burnouts she does 7, 7, 7, 7 on the pulses instead of 7, 7, 15, which makes no sense to me. I was thinking of how I will have to take more breaks in the other 2, since she takes longer ones in this one. Or maybe I just took longer breaks and put it on her??

Anyhow, I used Cathe's weights this time, except on the tricep kickbacks, I used 8 instead of 10 lbs. So far I'm not as sore as I was last time!

Cardio today. I'm not sure what yet!

Yesterday LB went biking with friends again. It was so nice! I am loving doing that. I like that she can get out, I can get some adult conversation, and we both feel less crazy.

It's 29 degrees right now! I'm so grateful it's spring though, and that we can get out. if this all happened in the winter, or even in December over the holidays, it sure would have stunk!! We actually have some light snow covering the ground right now.

I hope you both are doing well, and that you are with your Dad, Eventmom. I know I will be alone on the checkin for a while, so I will hold down the ship!! Hi Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-09-20, 05:28 AM  
Buzzer

Abs of Steel 2000.. DONE!

This was AWESOME! I loved it! I think I loved it more because I haven't done it in.... who knows how long. I had no idea how much I did it, apparently! I knew all of it! This video was the reason I thought there was tension between Tracy and Donna. Donna's ego gets hurt a little too much in this workout. She is apparently either in charge of counting, or took control of counting for Tamilee in the abs, and when Tamilee says something like "Donna is gonna make sure we don't do any more than we need to!" Suddenly Donna on the next set says "I think we could do 4 more!" Another time, when either Tracy or Tamilee says Donna is going to be the one to show the low impact, Donna says "I'm gonna funk it up a little" and still does some crazy higher impact thing.

Donna just seems like she was butting heads with Tracy the whole time.... with a smile. Definitely some jealousy going on there. I always thought that Tracy's ab work was the toughest, and I think that rubbed Donna the wrong way. Donna also seems a bit miffed that her aerobic section was kinda cut off (she introduced a new move, got to do it once, then had to give the floor to Tracy). I think Donna just smiled through this workout but actually didn't like Tamilee or Tracy at all. It was uncomfortably funny.

I didn't remember doing this workout a bunch, but apparently I did! I remembered all the moves, everything they said... and yes, I used a lot of the things they said when I did my own teaching of aerobics!! I definitely am remembering lately what my fitness roots were when I started. I learned to cue from the Firm and this workout! They do a great job of cuing. They layered on the difficulty, starting with the base move then making it more impact, and that's how I used to teach. They cued early, which I remember I was always conscious of. I always prided myself of being able to cue so the whole class, even if it was 30 seniors, didn't miss a beat. I learned that from these videos!

This was very much like a class I used to teach. I flew around the floor, it felt so good. The ab work was tough, not Firm tough where my abs are burning and I know I will be so sore I can't breathe tomorrow, but tough like while I was doing it I felt it and it burned. It definitely made me smile, and I will be doing this one more for my cardio, especially while I am doing gym styles, which has no ab work.

I just loved it. LOVED it.

Yesterday it snowed in the morning! I went out to yell at Otis who was chewing up LB's umbrella which was laying on the deck, and I slid across the deck. By the afternoon though, I went out with just a jacket on. We ran to town and got Chipotles, which I haven't had since before the pandemic, and we had to turn on the A/C. It's always warmer in town than it is here, but I was surprised how much warmer!

We worked a puzzle, did school, ran to town, then did some yard work. LB is meeting a friend today again. She said "I can't wait until social distancing is done" I said "Honey, you have met your friends more in the last 2 weeks of social distancing than you have probably ever before!" HA! I think it's the idea, and the masks. I have her wearing a tiger face gator, so her lower face and neck look like a tigers. So I know she's not unable to breathe, I think it's just more mentally tiring for a kid.

Waves Ebianco, and I've been thinking of you, Eventmom <3
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-10-20, 01:58 PM  
Buzzer

Cathe Gym Style legs... DONE!
Today I am taking a rest day.

So I used 25's for the squats, and then the rest of the exercises I did Cathe's weight. I really focused on form and going into the movements. It was great! I always wonder if the lunges where she does 4 down, 4 hold, 4 tiny pulses, 4 hold, then 4 count up actually does something, or is just to make sure your muscles are sore the next day.

The floor work I skipped the tibialis anterior exercise, and for the one leg pull ins, I use both legs. There's no WAY I can do one leg!! Especially with my hips in the air!

It's good though. Much beyond what I can do, not a gym style workout, but a good workout and it's very tough.

We had one of LB's friends over yesterday. I kept thinking someone would call the cops. However, it's a friend we know has been sufficiently quarantined, and they played from 10am until 8pm. HA! They missed each other! It was so nice! I got some house cleaning done, and a puzzle worked. I had a good day too.

Today for Mother's Day, I usually want to just go to breakfast and have someone cook for me and serve me. Nope. So I made what I wanted for breakfast (eggs, hash browns and bacon) and made breakfast and served my family. I guess next best thing. LB and DH have taken both dogs to get a bath, because apparently the dog bath has opened. Normally I would tell them NO! Wait until later in the summer, but the puppy smells so bad I am more than happy to see him get a bath.

It's 50 degrees, but I am sitting outside, drinking a wine spritzer, and looking at pictures of ponds. The puppy chewed up my pond liner, and I was so mad. Then I realized, I don't like the pond, I have been wanting to redo it, so this is a blessing in disguise!!

I don't know what we are doing today, but I am enjoying the time alone. That just doesn't happen anymore.

Waves to everyone! I hope you both are doing good, and things are better than you both expected this weekend.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-11-20, 12:40 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi guys! I thought I checked in just the other day but it's been like two weeks?!?! Sorry Work has been SOOOOOO hectic, and then on the weekends I've been crashing and sleeping a lot. On the plus side, I've been keeping up my workouts five days a week, and my knee feels pretty great! I have even gotten some cardio in and seems to be okay with my knee so far.

My workout weeks have been a mix of Firm (and a low impact version of the cardio, although I've tried very tiny jumping jacks and hops at times and it seems okay?!) and Barre and some Barlates.

I've recently covered Firm Volume 4 and Volume 6 because they have the best cardio for my knee (less impact), Firm Cardio Split and I kept it mostly low impact but may have overdone it a touch, Firm Cardio (my favorite), along with some Karen Voight Energy Sprint without any impact, some 10 Minute Solution abs on various DVDs, some Pure Barre of course (finished up the Resistance series and working my way through the Focus series again, starting with the Abs which is my favorite), and some various Barlates. And since my knee can handle it, I've gone on frequent walks outside now that the weather is much nicer. From 15 minutes up to 30 minutes but now that I know I can do 30 (I went on a 30 minute walk yesterday) I am going to try for longer. It's a good activity during long phone conversations that I have to keep up with family.

Eventmom My thoughts are with you and your dad, I hope everything is okay (((HUGS)))

Buzzer I was surprised our groomer was open and considered an essential business, but relieved to get them groomed (I have three little ones...Shih-tzu, Pomeranian, and Yorkie). I haven't been out much except to the grocery store, which I"m trying to limit to every 2-3 weeks, but I'm glad some places are opening up again, I just hope we don't take a big step back on people becoming sick.

Your workouts sound great, I haven't done Strong Legs in forever - probably like a decade! I remember it being so excruciatingly hard with all the leg presses.

I am trying to recommit to checking in again frequently. I'm sorry I ghosted you!! I haven't even been on VF to read only, I have not really been online at all too much.

Happy Mothers Day to you both!!
Old 05-12-20, 09:25 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Gym Styles back, delts and bis... DONE!
Abs of steel 2000... DONE!

the gym styles are kinda my thing, kinda not my thing. I like her back work, then the delts she starts to slide, then the bis are bad. All of the bis are slow motion, and I have decided I hate that. Next time, I am going to do them in the speed I want to do them in! I don't understand why she did all of them in slo mo. I did all Cathe weights, except when she grabbed 20's for the biceps. I did 12 and focused, and it was perfect.

I don't really have any soreness again after this workout, which kinda bums me out. However, since I have decided recently to do these workouts for a month, I will keep evolving them to get them to where I like them more. I like workouts I know all the moves to, so that's why I have committed myself to doing these workouts 2 more times each. Hopefully putting on muscle is my key to losing all this puff/fluff I have been fighting for the last few years!

I did BOS2k abs today, which I love. I "funked it up a little", as Donna says. I had a blast! I was flying all over my workout room. I love that workout. The abs are great. I love Tracy's abs the best, Donna's are kinda blah. Donna is good for tips and cuing though, even if she isn't so good at the aerobics or ab work.

I flew around, focused when we did the abs, and really feel like I got a good workout!

Ebianco: It is so good to hear from you again! I am sorry work has been nuts for you! Glad you still are working and healthy though! I'm amazed at your knee. However, I do remember with my knee it was like a switch was flicked and suddenly my knee was better. I am noticing my knee is better lately with doing weight training instead of barre. That makes me kinda sad. Sounds like yours is doing good with barre though! I love those pure barres! There are still a million people walking and running in our neighborhood. Many of them are doing the same thing, using it as time to talk on their phone to the family. I think it's a great idea! Better than sitting on your heinie doing it, which is what I am guilty of.

We are doing our social distancing visit with the senior in our neighborhood again. All on our lawn chairs and bringing coffee. I am actually really looking forward to it!

Hope things are good, Eventmom, and you are with your family
JNL DONE! 5/12/14