Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-09, 04:14 PM  
Inchworm

What makes the Cellerciser rebounder so different from others? Is it worth it?

Hi,

I REALLY want a good rebounder and not sure exactly what to get and it seems the more research I do, the more confused I get. Does anyone have this one and if so, is it actually worth the price tag?

Thanks

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 04:56 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

It look just like a Needak or Urban Rebounder rebounder to me.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 05:52 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

In answer to your first question, what makes the Cellerciser different are its unique patented springs (the website explains more) and the fact that it is guaranteed to be 100% weatherproof (can be left outside year-round, although I don't). Its materials and workmanship are truly topnotch, but then others are very good as well (Needak for instance). The Cellerciser claims its buoyancy is unique as the springs make it both crisply responsive and gentle. I wouldn't really know as I've only tried the Cellerciser so can't compare to other high-quality rebounders. It does offer a great, fun bounce though.

Is it worth the price? Well, I looked at it this way: I don't own a treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, stepper or stationery bike. Nor do I want any of them. This is the one piece of cardio equipment I would invest in so I wanted it to be "the best". It cost me about $300 delivered so it wasn't really all that expensive. (Plus at the time I'd just inherited a little money.) Now, if I also wanted other equipment, or wasn't sure I'd love rebounding, I'd spend less -- but I'd still choose a Needak or ReboundAir (or other equivalent quality rebounder).

My bottom line opinion is, if you've got lots of available cash and know you love rebounding by all means get the Cellerciser. If not, choose a Needak (soft, gentle bounce) or ReboundAir (slightly crisper, tighter bounce).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 06:29 PM  
horsemom2

been watching lots of review videos

From what I have seen, it depends on how you want to use it.

If you want rebounder specific workouts, an Urban Rebounder is probably better than a ReboundAIR cuz a ReboundAIR has an uneven bounce with the mat being squishier in the center. Needak seems to be better than ReboundAIR on the reviews but still not actually better than the UR or worth twice the price.

Now if you want to able to adapt the rebounder to workouts not designed for rebounding (walking, TaeBo, AWT, Athletic cardio, etc.), I love my YogFlex!!!!!
http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...41&catid=79681

If you want to try using a minitramp, you can probably buy Walmart's and even return it if not happy with it. Their latest comes with a bounce counter and bands.

If money is no object,the bungee cellerciser by Bellicon is the best bounce hands down and seems to offer more space than most but its price tag is intimidating.

Barb S
who wouldn't be able to workout in my basement on a Bellicon bungee without slamming my head into the ceiling
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 06:52 PM  
Inchworm

Thanks for the great advice. I'm not sure I understand why you said if I wanted to adapt my rebounder to use with other workouts, like Taebo and stuff, what makes the Yoga flex different in that aspect? I was planning on doing some specific rebounding and I also thought it would be great to be able to use a rebounder to substitute some jumping, running high impact stuff in other workouts. Is the Yoga Flex a soft bounce? Is the Cellerciser a soft bounce? It seems I would want something "softish" to avoid unnecessary impact, right? Gosh, I don't know. Do you think you couldn't use the Cellerciser, Needak or UR for substitutions to high impact in workouts??

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 07:32 PM  
horsemom2

Bellicon Bungee Cellerciser is the softest bounce and has bungees instead of springs so no need for a edge cover and the mat looked significantly larger than the other high end rebounders. I removed the covers from my ReboundAIR, YogFlex and Body burner to avoid trapping my foot and to have more room.

the Yog Flex mat is much larger than the UR so you can jump squat wider, hop side to side, etc. I use it everyday for just about every cardio workout. Only use the ReboundAIR for healthbouncing (pulsing while keeping at least part of one foot on the mat). Also the YF mat is even and not squishy like the ReboundAIR, making balancing easier besides being roomier. Ironically the YogFlex mat is larger and softer than its look-a-like Body Burner.
There are lots of different ways to land and choices of whether to be barefoot, etc. (I only wear shoes when tilting the YF or Bodyburner cuz slippery). Its bounce is good enough not to aggravate my joints even when doing a rebounder workout but I land lightly and usually on the whole foot. For pounding down into the mat like some rebounding instructors direct, I am assuming a UR would work better though I never liked that kind of bouncing even on my ReboundAIR which has a delay in its return making keeping time with most rebounder workouts even trickier than on the YF.

Barb S
Old 02-23-09, 07:48 PM  
akaAnnie

Barb, how big is the surface of the body flex? I am trying to find some way to modify clx burn intervals and I think my reboundair(which I don't like very well because it's too squishy) would be too squishy, I'd just like a firm surface with give.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 08:55 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchworm
Do you think you couldn't use the Cellerciser, Needak or UR for substitutions to high impact in workouts??
I do, and it's so much fun.

I tried a hard rebounder once with very little give (mat held on with straps, not springs) and I found it very jarring and uncomfortable on my feet and back. Just be sure that you know what you want. The two styles feel completely different.

ETA - Also, bear in mind that the health benefits associated with rebounding are valid for the soft, bouncy ones which provide that g-force effect (acceleration, deceleration, etc).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 09:54 PM  
spotted zebra

I haven't tried the Cellerciser, which looks like it has good springs that would adapt well to different body types/sizes, and give you a good bounce. I'm just piping in to say the Needak Soft Bounce is not so great if you plan to do a fair bit of jogging/sprinting on your rebounder. There's such a thing as a rebounder with too soft a mat. I found it sunk too much and I'm med height/weight, so I can imagine the problem would be even worse for a larger person. (Maybe not so much an issue for someone really tiny). For this reason I prefer the springy mat on my Urban Rebounder which works great for running/sprinting moves as well as balancing jumps on one foot. (On my Needak I struggled to keep my balance on one foot because of the slow, sinking down-deep motion of the mat). If my UR ever gives out I'll probably try a Cellerciser. I really love my UR though and the price is definitely right - so long as you can live with the blue/fluorescent yellow color.

I think the most important thing is to try out a rebounder firsthand if you can, or preferably several. The UR is available in sporting goods stores. If there's a salesperson near you who sells the Cellerciser, it would be worth going in person to jump on it and compare the mat bounce to other rebounders.

ETA: I've heard the older, standard Needaks are good for jogging (and have a mat with more spring), which I haven't tried. But I've noticed a lot of stores only sell the Soft Bounce version now.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 11:25 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie
Barb, how big is the surface of the body flex? I am trying to find some way to modify clx burn intervals and I think my reboundair(which I don't like very well because it's too squishy) would be too squishy, I'd just like a firm surface with give.
I am a bit confused what a body flex is
The YogFlex is larger than the Bodyburner
but the Bodyburner is still larger than the UR
The Bodyburner is stiffer than the YogFlex
but the YogFlex is probably stiffer than the UR
(now are you confused too? LOL)

The YogFlex, UR and Cellercisers (both spring and bungee) have an even bounce and no squishy center

just depends on your financial situation and workout preferences which to choose

Barb S

Tags
cellerciser, reboundair