Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-10, 10:58 PM  
jerebo

IKFF or RKC instructor

Hi all,

I'm getting into kettlebells and am ready for some training. There are several RKC instructors in my area as well as two IKFF-certified (Steve Cotter's organization) instructors. Which of the two would you recommend? I've read the threads about the differences in style. Will it make much of a difference for someone who has no plans to compete in kettlebell sports?

I know RKCs are most "popular" on the boards, so would I be crazy to choose the IKFF trainer?
Old 10-17-10, 06:52 AM  
Kyra

Why not try a couple of different instructors and see which one clicks with you?

That sort of reminds me of an argument made about choosing a martial arts style. If you want to study, say, Goju Ryu and the only school in town has a crappy instructor, and yet there's a great instructor in a different style, say Isshyn ryu, right down the street, you'd be crazy not to go with the better instructor. Styles aren't instructors, they're just an educational base.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 07:10 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post

I know RKCs are most "popular" on the boards, so would I be crazy to choose the IKFF trainer?
Jen, you wouldn't be crazy at all! I think IKFF people lift the way the pros do, and those people are awesome. Check out this clip. These ladies are incredible!! I know they are in competition rather than only doing it for fitness, but I'm pretty sure you'd do the lifts the way they do.

I actually think the main thing to consider is the assertion by some people in the KB (like Steve Cotter) world that RKC style is harder on your body and is more likely to get you injured. I haven't decided what I think and am still doing hard-style, but I am still looking into it. HTH!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 10:10 AM  
Kimberly33

I'm with Kyra--talk to them, meet them and decide who you like better as an instructor. They are both styles with careful certification requirements. I would try each style and see which one (and which instructors) feel better to you.

[Personally, I am a little skeptical of the criticisms of RKC that come from the competitors--I believe they are sincere, but they also have other motives that influence their beliefs.]

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 11:53 AM  
jerebo

Thanks for the tips. I think I will contact one of the RKC instructors, too. It probably wouldn't hurt to learn a couple of styles. So far, I've liked that the IKFF guy I contacted has been much more responsive than the one RCK I've tried to get in contact with.

Nyx, the ICK girls are pretty incredible. Their push presses look a fair bit different than RKC. I don't recall RKC leaning back as they are.

How different is swing technique between IKFF and RKC?
Old 10-17-10, 02:41 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
Thanks for the tips. I think I will contact one of the RKC instructors, too. It probably wouldn't hurt to learn a couple of styles. So far, I've liked that the IKFF guy I contacted has been much more responsive than the one RCK I've tried to get in contact with.

How different is swing technique between IKFF and RKC?
If you go with IKFF, let us know how it goes! I have only seen an RKC, and I really like her.

Here is one of the ICKC girls demonstrating the way they do the one-hand swing. I have no idea if they do a 2-hand swing?? I tried it and it still got my heart rate up. Here's Anthony doing it, too.

Oh, and everybody else had a good point - that getting a good trainer is also very important. And there could be bad IKFF trainers and bad RKC trainers.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 02:46 PM  
suegy3

I agree with Kyra. Try out both and see which one you like.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 06:05 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Jerebo, I am a CKT so of course I can only speak highly of IKFF
I only wish to say that IKFF is a course taught for fitness ( international kettlebell and fitness federation ) that teaches competition style because it is the most advanced and correct for the body.
You don't have to compete to benefit from the most biomechanically efficient techniques.
We train longevity. We want to respect our bodies so we can train for the rest of our lifes, not to beat ourself up.
Many CKTs compete because performance is the only way you can prove how good you are in a sport and since some other methods claim to be the best ones, the only way we can see who is who is going on a platform and showing your results.
Cotter has no special attachment to any method , he actually constantly updates his technique as he is always training and learning more from the best lifters all over the world and combines his experience with the new techniques he learns to teach the best he knows. as a teacher he feels he owe it to his students.
He started as RKC senior instructor, then he wanted to know more and studied with Fedorenko, and so on.
At CKTs you learn kbs of course, but Steve really hits big time on quality of multidimensional movement, stretching, recuperation and wellness in general.
I will also add that RKC is very well known since it started in 2001 I believe, IKFF was born only in 2008 and has a very different market strategy.
I don't known if to be the most famous equals to be the best ... As I like to say, Mc Donalds is the most known hamburger in the world but can you honestly say it is the best ?
When it come to pick a further education in kbs I had both choices available because RKC and IKFF were both having courses in Italy and based on the my research I picked IKFF of which now I am a very proud member

Tags
ikff, kettlebell, kettlebell certifications, rkc