Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-19-21, 09:15 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga with Adriene - Breath - Day 9 followed by Pahla B Body Shaping Day 9 and a neighborhood walk with DH.

We decided to garden today and got all the roses pruned and some other plants as well. This afternoon I made a big batch of marinara sauce and DH vaccumed. So a good day for getting stuff done, but I'm tired now.

Laura, sitting on the couch watching television sounds like a great way to spend the day to. I hope you felt well enough to take a short walk. Yeah, people have taken this time to learn all sorts of things. I was listening to a radio broadcast and people were calling in talking about the new hobbies and crafts they had taken up - vegetable gardening was a popular one.

Anita, I see you are considering renting a condo for a few years. Just an observation, when I went to New Hampshire to help my niece, they were renting a condo for a couple years while she finished her post doc. Anyway, the condo association had a service that ploughed the association streets and the employees even got out and shoveled the entryways and any area the plough couldn't clear. I thought that was a great service as I didn't have to shovel or even throw out rock salt. Yes, I am watching YouTube to learn all sorts of things. I don't know how many videos I've watched on making bread. If you want to make yeast bread "artisanbreadwithsteve" is ithe easiest to follow and my results were great. For sourdough my favorite is Ben Starr. I watched his video on how to make a sourdough starter and I also watch him while I made the bread. Yes, I made the yeast starter (took 12 days) and it's living in my refridgerator - I actually have two batchs going in my fridge, one more "stiff" than the other. I'm going to test which gives the best rise and the best flavor. Every other channel I watched had recipes that were too complicated, Ben Starr made it easy. If you give it a try, let me know how it goes. If nothing else watch him for fun, he's a bit of a hoot.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 08:57 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on meeting with my financial advisor and may do some shopping in that part of town this morning - Trader Joe's and a shoe store that carries Merrell shoes. I'm looking to replace the pair of shoes I currently wear. Then a walk with Gus - today should be a warm day above freezing!

Paula, nice that you get to garden at this time of year - I don't even try to find poop piles in the snow out back. I can't say I've picked up new skills with the homebound time. I've even dropped doing the online yoga classes - just not social enough for me as the ones I used to go to (same instructor). After Gus passes, I'll be considering moving to a senior living place - maybe an apartment, maybe condo. I'm just getting tired of shoveling this driveway and sidewalk... I haven't had the raw ingredients of bread in my house a LOOOOONG time - flour used to age lots in my cabinets, so gave up on that. Nowadays, having oatmeal in my cabinet is as far as I'll go .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 09:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had a video appointment with my surgeon this morning. He seemed delighted with how I am going and said that everything looks great. He also said that I can do whatever I want. I may try a longer walk today. The last two days, I've taken a short walk with DH and I may try to extend that some. I also want to get back to working on my office a little at a time.

Anita - The mold this cousin experienced is the second place where they have experienced mold. I don't know if they are just unlucky or what. It's something to ask when looking at places. Enjoy the heat wave.

Paula - Good job getting stuff done. Hopefully, you can rest today. I'm getting tired of sitting around, so I want to work on my office some. It's the kind of thing where I can bring some stuff out and categorize it and then go sit down for a while.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 09:11 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B - Body Shaping Day 9 Cardio and Body Weight Strength followed by a Yoga with Kassandra Yoga Stretch.

Another day of doing stuff around the house. I made two loaves of Zuchinni Bread for DH, dusted the living room, and worked on my latest quilt.

Anita, I love Merrell's - I own two pairs of Merrell hiking boots and a pair of Merrell sandals. They are so comfortable right out of the box. Yeah, gardening in January is one reason I live in California. I enjoy baking, I find it relaxing. Flour doesn't get old in my house. Since I'd started experimenting with yeast bread I have to keep swinging by the market to pick up more flour. You can have dogs in many rentals and/or retirement homes, you don't have to wait for Gus to pass if you wnat to make the change sooner.

Laura, so good you are recovering quickly and you have the doc's permission to do whatever you want. Hope you found the time to work on your office.
Old 01-21-21, 08:34 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on playing a Carcassonne game with some friends on line, then taking Gus for a walk with in person friends. It was nice to have a warm day yesterday! Unfortunately it wasn't enough to really do much against the ice out there. My meeting yesterday got switched to online, so didn't do the shopping I had hoped for...

Laura, nice that you were able to get a good meeting online with your doctor - figured they'd want an in person one to check your surgical site though. It's good that you have the energy and urge to do stuff around the house - trust me, if you're not feeling well post-op, you'd be in bed all the time...

Paula, I usually get Merrell clogs, but they have to be high in back to grab my ankle well - haven't tried any of their lace-up shoes, boots or sandals. As Gus is getting older, I want him to be in convenient close places to get out and go to the bathroom - unfortunately walking in halls to get out isn't very close and I don't want to have to get dressed to get him out at 2 am, if needed. I also don't want to worry about his barking at things passing my house - he does his job taking care of the house - it wouldn't go well in an apartment type setting with neighbors complaining about the barking noise. Sounds like you had a good busy day!

Anita
Old 01-21-21, 07:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I overdid it today and totally enjoyed it. We went over to Mom and Dad's for lunch and I wore "real" clothes rather than the sweats and exercise clothes I've been in since the surgery. They served fried catfish, a really good recipe. We left there and went by Walmart to pick up an order and DH put gas in. When we got home, DH put up the order and I crashed. At this point, I feel tired, but not too bad. Tomorrow, I'll go back to taking it more easy.

Anita - I can understand wanting to keep Gus in place, especially since he defends his turf verbally. DH had to help me in the appointment with the surgeon to position the phone over the three incision sites so the surgeon could see them. He seemed to just be looking for signs of infection or problems and could see well enough to conclude things were good with them.

Paula - I used to wear Merrell's and liked them. Then I stopped wearing the styles I had worn in that brand and stopped. The next time I need shoes, I should check them out again.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-21-21, 09:39 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout today was Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 11 - Moderate Weights, then Yoga with Kassandra Morning Stretch. DH and I flew to Catalina and hiked the airport loop trail, was a lovely day for a hike.

Anita, glad you're able to continue having social gatherings without actually getting together. I've never worn clogs - I've tried because several of my friends love them. I an actually so uncoordinated I can't keep them on my feet, I keep walking out of my shoes, especially on stairs. Gus does take his job protecting you from anything going on outside seriously, I understand.

Laura, glad all is going well with your recovery. I'm sure today was worth it, but don't push too hard or you may have a set back.
Old 01-22-21, 07:59 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on having another bat day at the WRC - my usual helper is gone today so don't know how long this will take. Hopefully the bats have moved to the kennels after they learn to eat the mealworms on their own - lots faster to feed them there. Other than that planning on a short walk with Gus - it's cold out there!

Laura, glad you enjoyed your living a more normal life day! Have a nice rest day today!

Paula, nice to get out and enjoy your day with your DH! I'm not a fan of the Merrell clogs that are low in back by the ankle - it's got to grab my foot well. I do like not having lacing up to do though!

Anita
Old 01-22-21, 06:41 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Well, I did a lot less today and focused on resting. I took DH to his PT appointment, but that was all sitting. I'm feeling a lot less fatigued this evening than I was this morning. It didn't seem like I had done so much yesterday, but lesson learned. I'm still recovering.

Paula - It's nice you got a hike. I saw on the news today that your area has gotten a lot of rain recently. It's good you had a good day to get outside.

Anita - Hope the WRC didn't take too long.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-22-21, 08:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga with Kassandra Morning Day 22 followed by Pahla B Body Shaping Day 12 - Standing Abs.

Lazy day around here, I made yeast rolls, new recipe (oatmeal maple) and worked on my latest quilt. I have dough for sourdough bread slowly (hopefully) rising in my fridge. We taste tested the rolls with dinner and they were a winner.

Anita, hope things went smoothly at WRC and the bats have learned to eat on their own and don't require much of your time and attention. I've never made clogs work - I like the idea of them, just never mastered the actuallity of them.

Laura, glad you are feeling better and able to get back to your normal life a bit more. I wish we had gotten lots of rain - it's been in the forecast a few times. In fact rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. So far, nothing. My area is so dry it could blow away.