Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-09-21, 02:13 PM  
Vantreesta

Sat 1/9 0 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 25) F-AM 1st time
20 minutes (from Crossrope 12 Days of Crossrope Challenge day 3) R-AM 1st time
13 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 8 Home Workout to Boost Your Metabolism & Energy Levels, YT) F-AM 1st time
18 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 8, YT) (Sadhana day 8) F-AM 1st time
19 minutes (from PT exercises for pelvic stability & glute strength) SAT

Look at me, working out on a Saturday AND doing PT!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 11:49 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Mollie: Welcome! I’m definitely going to check out those two books. They look really interesting. Yay on your upcoming retirement! I worked in a university fitness center for many years. Ours was kept really clean, but it still grossed me out.

I finished the Body Beast Lean Beast rotation yesterday. That makes two twelve-week strength rotations since July. I’m not thrilled with the results, but I’m probably being too hard on myself. There’s definitely a difference in the pictures. But I’m still nowhere near where I want to be. I know, be patient, it’s hard to lose weight during this stage of life, I’m doing better than I was, etc. But I’m still frustrated sometimes.

I ran the 4.5 mile lake trail this morning, and now I have a big painful knot in my left hamstring. I didn’t feel it until an hour after the run. I’m stretching and I rolled and lacrosse ball’d it.

I’ve been having terrible violent nightmares since Wednesday. I can’t imagine what it is like for those who were working in the Capitol. I feel odd saying I’m so thankful I’m teleworking since it’s because of a deadly virus, but in this case, I think it’s okay to feel that way.

Hopefully this week will be a better one!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 02:34 PM  
Vantreesta

Hubby got my Bluray player hooked up today so I can resume DVD workouts tmrw. I'll be glad to get back to my Cathe rotation. Still need a new tube for my bike tire and THEN my gym will be fully functional again. I had to move stuff so he could get to the TV so rather than just moving it all right back where it was, I plan to reorganize and put things away on Tuesday. He also got all the Christmas tubs put away. Some of them are just too heavy for me to lift above my head into the closet.

Alison, I'm sorry you're having nightmares. I definitely think it's okay to be thankful you're teleworking. We can be grateful for things that come out of bad times without being thankful for the bad thing that caused the good, I think.

Mollie, I'm excited for you being a few months away from retirement. I'm not actually retired but taking a break and I just love being home all the time with my dog.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 12:33 PM  
Daphne M

Vannie - I bet your home gym is 10x better than the fitness facilities at many hotels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannie
We can be grateful for things that come out of bad times without being thankful for the bad thing that caused the good, I think.
Beautifully said and I will try to remember this. There are some nice things that have come out of the last 9 months for me, and sometimes I do feel guilty about them.

Mollie
- Thanks for the book recommendations, I'm going to take a look at both of them. Did you learn anything from the Willpower book that has helped you on your willpower? I have a recurring pattern of working hard to reach a goal but then, right before I achieve the goal, I ease up. Why I hit the pause button when I am on the brink of success is confounding. (I do get there eventually, just in a more roundabout way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
I’ve been having terrible violent nightmares since Wednesday. I can’t imagine what it is like for those who were working in the Capitol. I feel odd saying I’m so thankful I’m teleworking since it’s because of a deadly virus, but in this case, I think it’s okay to feel that way.
Same, Alison, same.

Me - I did a couple longer (5-6.5 miles) runs this weekend, a couple of short walks and two rows. And I hit the 250k meter milestone on my Hydrow, which means I'll be getting a pair or socks from them soon. They send swag at 100K, 250K, 500K, 750K and then at all the million marks. Swag = really nice water bottle, socks, shirt, backpack, and so on. Very cool.

Today was a short 2 mile run and then I started week 2 of my Hydrow "14 Day Home Challenge" (14DHC), which has been a delight so far. All the workouts have had just a little extra zip to them: either great stories from the athletes, or nice scenery or just interesting work sets.

This morning the main workout was a 30 minute row on Indian Creek (Miami) with three main sets: one 6-minute "climb" (stroke rate a little faster every 2 minutes) and two 11-minute pyramids.

Supposedly the 14 DHC is supposed to help you advance in either power or skill but I seem to be rowing about the same speed no matter what. In fact, I've slowed down a little. Not sure what that means, but I keep reminding myself that progress is not linear. I don't care that much about getting faster, I just want to be sure that I'm rowing efficiently and correctly. Love my rower!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 01:46 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, that's some good swag! I apparently got to 100 Peloton strength workouts and got an email about a shirt. Which I don't want!

Vantreesta, my kids have actually been in school since just after Labor Day. They had two weeks of break and got a little cabin fever but overall weren't too bad. They are very glad to be back! Most of the districts around ours are doing online or hybrid right now. I aspire to take walks twice a day. Somehow I just can't seem to get myself out of the house! It's been breezy lately and I absolutely hate when it's cooler and windy.

Alison, do you have a massage gun? I thought it'd be weird on my hamstring but the PT used it once when I went in and it was the only thing that got rid of the knot I had!

I've had trouble sleeping since the day I watched all the news on the Capitol. Such a feeling of unrest, knowing that people would do something like that. I feel it'd be even tougher if I was near there, even if I was working from home.

I'm a little sad to hear you saying you're disappointed with Body Beast results! I'm in the third week and seriously doubting my ability to stick with phase 2 for 5 weeks. I think the workouts are even in the exact same order. I may commit to 3 weeks and see how it goes.

So yes, Body Beast plus some short cardio here and there is my current "plan." I mostly do my spin bike and am trying the rower. I also do outdoor runs, usually intervals, with the Peloton audio workouts.

Rowing--I've done two beginner workouts with Dark Horse. And they didn't feel like workouts. I think I have the form down so maybe I'll try an intermediate. I'm telling myself that I'm a beginner at rowing but advanced exerciser so it'll take a while to get it all together.

Saturday was one of the best days I've had for a while. I had weird jealousy of a friend who's been out hiking on her own and with her DH and DS (who normally won't go) every weekend. I went alone and didn't like it right now. Going with friends is good if I can coordinate with the few people I see still. I convinced my family to go with me and meet up with my friend and her family. It went quite well! My friend actually ended up only doing a mile and then heading back with her 3 year old. The rest of us went the whole 1.5 miles up.

I think these pictures should be viewable. I got DS some trail shoes and I think they gave him too much confidence! But I'm glad we got out.

Saturday night DH and I left them alone for the very first time and had dinner at a restaurant literally 5 miles away. The place was practically empty so felt very safe. They'd cut their menu WAY down which was a bummer, but it was SO nice to have just adult company for a while.

I'm slightly stressed right now because DS has a hemangioma on his jawline. DH took him to the ped Thursday and they just said to see a dermatologist. Last night it started bleeding and I can't get it to stop. He was in school today and I'm taking him tomorrow. All that blood is a little nerve-wracking! He gets tons of bloody noses though so it hasn't really phased him.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 03:46 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: Don’t listen to me! I’m being way to harsh on myself saying I’m not happy with the Body Beast results. I DEFINITELY got stronger. I just put on so much fat over the course of two years, and it’s going away very slowly. So I can’t see much muscle definition. But it’s probably there under the fat. So Body Beast does work, and don’t give up! I almost enjoyed doing the same thing for 5 weeks—the pattern made sense to me. The last 4 week segment was more of a struggle with different workout mixes.

More Pratima: I got the century shirt from Peloton, and it’s actually a nice black t-shirt. If you ever need something black to wear under something else, it might be worth getting for free.

Vantreesta: Glad your gym is getting back together and you can do your Cathe DVDs again! We put all our Christmas stuff away this weekend too. The house looks so plain now.

Daphne: Congrats on 250K meters! That’s awesome!

Me: I still got up early even though I’m not lifting this week, so I took my time and did Earth Body Yoga. Then I did a Denis PowerZone ride at lunchtime.

I finally was able to get the videos I bought as downloads off my barely functioning laptop and on my iPad, including two Mobility Rx workouts. I keep talking a big game about mobility, so I’m going to put them in my rotation. I fear they’ll get boring and dull, but even a little is better than nothing. I also found a Tonique video and a TRX winter sports training video. And I downloaded a free Cathe Live leg day workout too.
Old 01-12-21, 12:44 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - I loved the Mobility Rx workouts but haven't done them in forever.
I still remember going to a Nats game and watching Trea Turner do a pre-game mobility routine on the ballfield with his trainer that was the exact mobility routine from Mobility Rx. I was so excited

Pratima - Your hiking pictures are fantastic! I love seeing your whole family and the terrain you were on looks truly challenging. Those rock formations are just so different than anything we have around here. Arizona is cool. (But mostly hot. Sorry, dad humor.)

More Pratima - indoor rowing gets harder as you get better at it. I'm not sure if all rowers are the same, but on the hydrow, I am basically generating my own resistance. The harder I push with my legs, the more resistance that generates for my arms. One of the things that has helped me improve is to set the display so I can watch how many watts I'm generating. My watts can change drastically and it's a good indication of whether my form is off or not. If I'm not generating a lot of power, I know something's off. But it is work to get those watts up and sometimes I just want to cruise -- which is still a pretty good workout.

I have a million self cues while rowing. You probably know most or all of them, but I'll list a few here in case some of them are new to you:
  • Sit toward front of seat
  • Hands should grip handle widely and loosely -- they are hooks. Your middle knuckle should be at the front of the handle
  • Push comes from the heels -- like a leg press or like a horizontal jump squat-- although all 4 corners of feet should be in contact. (It's okay for heels to lift up *a little* as you finish your stroke but you want them in full contact as you start the next stroke)
  • At the catch --your arms and your legs are initiating together
  • Arms are fully extended for the majority of the stroke -- legs should be fully extended before arms pass over knees, both on drive and on recovery
  • The swing is a hip hinge from 11 to 1 o'clock and back, don't slump forward, don't bend at waist, don't get a dowagers hump
  • Core braced on the swing --should feel like you're kneeling on the ground and about to throw a basketball.
  • Don't let your shins go past vertical (in relation to the floor) as you finish your stroke and start the catch
I wear gloves because my hands get so sweaty but there are a lot of purists who refuse to wear them. It's kind of like the crossfit folks who disdain gloves for lifting.

More later.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 01-12-21, 02:33 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, I appreciated the dad humor! It is really rocky, and that trail was a little rockier than I remembered, but the kids did great.

I tried a little rowing workout this morning. It was on the Dark Horse channel. Very simple, just 3 minutes at 18 SPM, 2 minutes at 20 SPM, and 1 minute at 22 SPM. It was really easy. I did increase the resistance, but I think maybe I'm not increasing it enough? On my machine, you increase it with a button.

I'm thinking maybe I need to just break down and try the iFit workouts. Those cues definitely help! I feel like I have the form but can use specific cues to focus on so I'll borrow yours.

Alison, I can tell Beast is working! I wonder if I could significantly change my eating, would I see less fat? Or do I need more cardio? I think in the next phase, I may be able to do more cardio, so we'll see. Although IIRC those workouts are longer than Build.

I did order the century shirt. Figured I might as well!

Today has been just nuts. I had two morning work calls and then rushed DS to the doctor, only to be told that my appointment wasn't today at 950, it was next Tuesday at 12:20. I told the woman there was no way, that I'd asked repeatedly because it was such a odd time. She said they could get us in at 10:30. They ended up giving DS a shot of lidocaine, shaving off what turned out to be a granuloma, and then cauterizing it so hopefully he's all good now.

I took him to school and came home, thinking I had an afternoon call for a contract position. It was actually just a few minutes later and I just finished up.

Somewhere along the way I did manage 5 minutes rowing, 15 minutes Les Mills spin, and Beast Build shoulders. Yay me! I need a nap and a drink now.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 07:31 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
I still remember going to a Nats game and watching Trea Turner do a pre-game mobility routine on the ballfield with his trainer that was the exact mobility routine from Mobility Rx. I was so excited
Thanks for that motivation! I loved Trea Turner on the Nats. He was sooooo fast too. I did the Mobility RX warmup and workout 1 this morning. While it’s not the most fun thing out there, I can see how it will help. I have a long way to go!

Pratima: The bulk workouts are mostly shorter. I had time to do them along with either yoga or core work each morning. I forgot to answer the other day—I don’t have one of those therapy guns, but I was just looking at them in Dick’s this weekend (on a failed mission to find DD a new winter coat). I do have a TENS machine, which is completely different but is very useful.

Yesterday I ran my hilly neighborhood route, and it felt good. My foot pain is decreasing but it’s not gone. I plan to do a 30 minute bike ride and 10 minute row at lunchtime.
Old 01-13-21, 09:58 AM  
Daphne M

Alison - We loved Trea Turner too. Jamie in particular loved him. I definitely preferred one of the Mobility Rx workouts over the other, but I can't remember which it was. My lower back and hips are not great, so I usually like anything with spinal twists or work on my psoas and hips. And upper body very tight from mastectomy and reconstruction so I like any kind of chest opener.

Pratima - I was looking at iFit yesterday and the variety of workouts and instructors looks great. I love that the instructors are outside running in some of them. I could never figure out how much iFit costs though. They kind of buried that information. Do they have a 30-day free trial? That's what I did with Peloton: tried it out and immediately knew I'd struck gold. Peloton was really low-pressure too -- I loved that they took no credit card or personal information other than my email address.

Nema - Belated thanks to all of you for the nice words about Nema.

Me = Yesterday turned into a rest day due to stomach issues. Today was a nice 3 mile run and 30 minutes of rowing. The main workout was a 20-minute "Drive" - 1 set of 4 intervals at 30 seconds hard rowing and 15 seconds rest + 1 set of 4 intervals at 90 seconds hard rowing and 30 seconds rest + 2 sets of of 4 intervals at 3 minutes hard rowing and 1 minute rest. Oof. But there were dolphins! So it's all good.
Breast Cancer Survivor