Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-20, 08:50 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did:

Pahla B - Walking w/ Weights - this is from her weekly challenge for body shaping. I enjoyed this one because it was minimal walking and mostly four-limb movements. The intervals were 20/10 seconds - 20 seconds of 4 limb light weight aerobics and 10 seconds of walking. I don't really like Pahla's workouts that are all walking b/c there is not much variety and it gets boring quickly and stressful to the joints (for me) to walk in place.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Full Body Flow - after saying I haven't been in the mood to do yoga, this one called out to me today and oddly, I'm thinking about doing her HOME program.

Yesterday I did take the Essentrics LIVE class at noon - it was a good class - taught by a man I had never seen before. It was well cued, but nothing different really from the usual classes! But, I would take more classes from this instructor.

DD and I also walked the dogs but cut it short b/c it was hot. B/c I needed more steps I did Up To the Beat - MJ Mix on Gina B's site.

I'm taking the full 3 days of bereavement leave at work - I mostly just have to deal with loose ends since we're not doing anything formal until later in the summer, assuming COVID will allow for travel, etc.

Get this - to cancel someone's comcast account you have to present a death certificate or a notarized affidavit! I understand on the one hand you don't want fraud, but on the other hand, I think this is overkill. I'd be fine signing and affidavit and sending it back, but NOTARIZED?? REALLY?

The upside is that my DD's barn is opening up - and she will be able to start taking lessons again next week. That will be nice for her to get back to some normal activity. I feel it is safe enough since it is mainly outside and they are limiting class sizes and the # of people who can be there at one time.

Both of my dogs are limping today - my Lab always limps, but my Golden must have hurt herself somehow b/c she is limping, too. So no walk, likely for us!

pgun - I think Essentrics can be very helpful and therapeutic. I did the 30 day Health Challenge this past winter and I did notice increased range of motion/better flexibility/less pain. My main problem is I get bored....and then I want to do something else. Silly in a way since it is a helpful program for me!

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 11:16 PM  
Leonana

Rest day Sunday and Monday. I was really tired. I guess because of doing the entire Ab week schedule. I think I'm going to have to dial it down, and limit what I do from the rotations. I enjoy it, and lose weight and tone up, but it wears me out. I'm still going to follow them, but modify quite a bit.

I'm painting today and tomorrow. I painted four bedroom and bathroom doors, along with the door jambs. Although, I didn't do the inside of the doors in dd's bathroom and bedroom. I'm pretty tired now! Tomorrow is the hallway. Then I'm taking a break before I do our bedroom. I might even wait until the winter when it's cooler. I need to keep busy, and I feel happier when I'm painting. OTH, I get bored with painting, and it is tiring. I'm going to have to figure out some other things to do to keep busy.

Donna, my tooth is better, as long as I don't chew on it. I can relate on having a husband who is a pack rat. So far, it's been confined to the garage, the computer room, and his sheds on the back yard. Clutter stresses me out, but he just loves bringing stuff home. Be glad your husband doesn't work for a moving company, lol. On the plus side, we have been given some nice stuff. That is crazy about the cable company. I hope your dogs legs heal soon, and that you are able to take some me time during your leave.

wishiwasinhawaii, Jessica's workouts do feel tougher than I remember!

pgun, I will try not to bite on it. I haven't been chewing on that side very much, as it gets sore when I do. It is feeling better. I don't have throbbing or soreness unless I chew on that side, so I don't think I need a root canal. I'm sleeping just fine with no pain, because I'm not moving my mouth in my sleep. It does seem like the crown is not on right. My appointment is June 5. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try not to chew on that side.
Old 05-28-20, 08:27 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Pahla's weekly challenge called for a "ladder" style walking workout and I really don't enjoy Pahla's walking workouts - they are essentially walking and/or running in place and that just doesn't feel good for my body and isn't enjoyable to me. I don't mind when she does a walking w/ weights workout, however, as there is variety in movement. So, I found one of Jessica's that is probably most like the style - Pyramid Power walk and did that one.

After that i frittered away time trying to decide what else to do - I was thinking yoga, but it made me restless. So I went to Trifecta Pilates and did a 20 min workout - Feel Good Pilates.

I really think if I stuck w/ Trifecta my Pilates practice and form would really improve. Maybe I should focus on that for June? I like her workouts, but some of them are longer than I prefer - maybe I could do those in "parts"

So, I feel that b/c I didn't have all the proper paperwork yet that I have essentially spun my wheels w/ my mom's stuff. I couldn't cancel her cell phone b/c I don't have the phone to receive the code. I'm hoping I can find the phone and then I can cancel it otherwise I'm going to have to go in to a retail store to do it. Comcast, well, I need a death certificate or a notarized affidavit - so I'm going to wait for the death certificate. The only thing I was successfully able to do was cancel the landline. I'm not sure why they didn't want a pint of blood and an affidavit, too, but I'm thankful they didn't. The rest of her stuff - retirement account, life insurance, etc. I know I can't access w/out a death certificate so I'm not even going to try until I have that. Fortunately, my name is on her bank accounts as a joint account holder so that will be straightforward. I understand the need to prevent fraud, but this is really a lot to have to do/present to clear things up - I guess it prevents some disgruntled person from cancelling someone else's accounts. *sigh*

So, long and short of it - I feel sorta guilty for taking time off from work and not really accomplishing anything, but on the other hand, I really was not up for facing the nonsense that is work at times either. I'm going to try to relax today as I go "back" tomorrow (you only get 3 days for close relatives - crazy).

Sherry - Yes, I need to modify rotations, too - and, wow, good for you for doing so much home improvement. That is something i really need to be doing, too and just can't get motivated. My thinking is that once my DD is off at college I will have a bit more time for that stuff and can focus more on it then. Glad your tooth is better. I had a tube of Differin in my closet, so I'm going to try it again - my skin was starting to break out - probably from my "experimentation" with using stuff up - some of the stuff I was using up was probably not great for my skin in the first place which is why it wasn't used up! so, that being said, I think the stuff that wasn't working on my face is going to get used up as hand and body lotion!
Glad your tooth is better!

waves, pgun and wishiwasinhawaii -

Donna
Old 05-28-20, 05:22 PM  
Leonana

Today was the rest of the hallway. I finished it, yay! I've learned that I can handle about three to four hours of prep work and painting per day, to avoid muscle strain and over tiredness. I have one room left, our bedroom. I'm not sure when I will do it, maybe July or August. Then I'll need to paint dd's bathroom, after we remodel it this winter. I'm very happy with how the painting has turned out, it has made the house look much brighter.

Donna, I hope you get the death certificates soon, so you can get things wrapped up. Although, I suppose there is a time delay due to COVID. It sounds like it was a good thing that you moved her out of the condo, and had it sold. That's one less thing you have to deal with. There are quite a few products that break me out nowadays, although for me it's probably an allergic reaction. I've decided to simplify, but that doesn't stop me from eyeing new skincare, lol.
Old 05-29-20, 08:54 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I went with Pahla B and Jessica V. today -

Pahla B - Weights for Women over 50 - this was a very slow/controlled workout meant to be done w/ your heavier weights (if you could handle them). what I liked about it was the ability to get into a full range of motion for squats. And, that being said, I did not go super heavy on this b/c some of the moves are those that are known to tweak my back - like forward leaning rows and "triangles" (I can't think of the real name of the exercise, but it is a kbell type move). I went lighter on those and it was fine. I think my days of "heavy" weights are behind me b/c even going slow and controlled, certain postures just don't work for me. I think my "heavy" weights these days will be 8's, maybe 10's.

Jessica Valent - Pilates w/ a 5lb weight. I used both a 5lb, a 3lb and no weight depending on the exercise. It was more Pilates inspired than true Pilates.

Yesterday DD and I walked outdoors - it was humid and I'm still dealing w/ two limping dogs. My Golden hurt herself somehow and my Lab always limps. I hope my Golden gets better soon - she is a perpetual puppy even though she is going to be 8 next month

Sherry - I'm so thankful that my mom moved and that her condo sold - it sold right before MD went into lock down mode - I'm not sure what the real estate market is like now, but I'm so glad that we got it sold - and wrapped up. I just have to finish cleaning out her apartment and wait for paperwork so I can begin the process on everything else.

Hope everyone has a good day.

I went "back" to work today - I think it will help to have a sense of normalcy and routine.

Donna
Old 05-29-20, 01:43 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Ugh, what an icky, humid day here. I have to go to Home Depot later to pick up ant traps I ordered for curbside pickup. I noticed some ants getting in through a window and I want to nip that in the bud. This is the first time I've had ants in the 8 years I've been living here. Guess I was lucky and I'm sure the humidity has something to do with it.

I am supposed to do Strictly Strength on the Summer of Strength rotation today, but I feel like a wilted flower with the humidity so I may do something less strenuous.

Donna, I agree about lifting lighter weights at this age. The heaviest I use is 10 lbs. I've noticed when I lift heavier, it really ramps up my appetite and I start gaining weight, but keeping it at 10 or lower doesn't do that and I still have strength gains. About your mom's condo, you sold it just in time. I have a friend who is a realtor and he told me he only has one listing now because sellers don't want people in their house who could be ill and buyers don't want to go inside houses.

Sherry, Congrats on doing all that painting yourself! Did you have to use primer first?
Old 05-29-20, 05:34 PM  
Leonana

I finished the hallway yesterday. I am worn out today! But I did some yard work this morning. I'm behind on my weed pulling. I think I'll do a short Jessica yoga stretch this evening.

It's hot, even for here. It's 111 today, and we don't usually get that weather until the end of June. The humidity is 9%, if you can believe it. On the plus side, It is nice and cool in the house. We have a new portable a/c in the Arizona room, and we replaced the house a/c last January. They are both working really well. The portable a/c is fantastic, it even cools the living room and kitchen a bit. Very powerful for a small unit.

I'm the same as both of you, heavy weights don't work for me either. I can use 8's and 10's for leg work, and maybe bicep work. Nothing over 5 for overhead moves.

Donna, I hope your dog's leg heals soon, and that you had a good work day.

wishiwasinhawaii, I thought the real estate slow down would affect dh's work, since real estate affects the moving industry. But he's still been busy here. But they also do a lot of moves for the military. My guess is it will be really slow this winter. I'm putting as much into savings as I can, so we can enjoy his time off. I have a honey do list, lol. No, I didn't use primer first. They now have combination paint and primer, and I have been using that. I'm using Behr paint from Home Depot. It seems to be working really well. I also bought satin, and it's easy to clean, but not too shiny. It helps that the old color was sort of a cream, and I'm painting the walls white, so it's not too big of a color difference. If the walls were a dark color, I'm sure I'd need a primer too.
Old 05-30-20, 01:56 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was Ellen's Dynamic Cardio.

Then, DH and I continued to clean out my mom's place - it is just about done save for finding a charitable organization to take furniture, clothing, etc.

DH tends to be a bit of a pack rat an takes things we don't need, but I'm just letting it go - piling it up in his space in the basement and then eventually get rid of it.

I'm going to get out for a walk today - either w/ or w/out dogs.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
Old 05-30-20, 05:25 PM  
Leonana

Today I did WS1 Prehab Routine. That felt really good. She had a lot of good moves for the shoulders and wrists. I'll need to remember this one next time I have wrist and shoulder strain.

Donna, that's great you are almost done with your mom's place. I wish we had a basement. I'd happily put all of dh's stuff there! He's a bit of a pack rat too. It's not in the house, but we have stuff packed in the garage and in storage sheds in the backyard, along with just sitting in the back yard. He does have it on the west side, so you can't see it from the kitchen window or from the patio. And we do have room to park one car in the garage. However, I usually give that to dd. We could fit both cars in the garage, if I can talk him into moving his stuff out. Easier said than done, lol. It's so hot here, it would be nice to have covered parking.
Old 05-31-20, 11:20 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did -

Pahla B - 25 Min Weight Loss Power Walk
Trifecta Pilates - Classical Pilates

Waves, everyone - I'm off to take my DD to the barn to ride her horse.

Tomorrow starts a new month - I'm not sure what I want to do - more Pahla? Jessica? Pilates? I do keep thinking I should spend a month with Trifecta Pilates to see how I feel - I can always mix other stuff in w/ it since she has some long and some short workout days planned throughout the month

One thing I think I should do for June is set a daily step goal -just to keep me accountable in moving as much as possible. It will get harder to do our outdoor walks as the heat and humidity build here. But w/ working from home I'm definitely not moving as much as when in the office - those walks to the printer and rest room add up! Now my printer is on the desk next to me.

Sherry - so, my DH is now all stressed out about the "stuff" in the basement. UGh. He is his own worst enemy - as I guess we all are - we definitely did not need to take so much from my mom's place.... Oh well, I guess sometimes you just have to stand by and let it play out.

waves, wishiwasinhawaii, pgun - has anyone heard from Pam61?

Hope everyone has a good afternoon -

Donna

Tags
jessica smith get strong