Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-21, 06:27 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Looking for more extension-based yoga for my back pain

I've been doing the Extension-Based Strengthening routine on the Better Back Yoga DVD and it seems to be working. I do this periodically to counteract all the forward bending in my other workouts. Otherwise I have back pain.

I'd love to have more options for this. The other back care yoga DVDs I have include forward bends.

Actually this doesn't have to be yoga if there's another way to accomplish this.
Old 03-05-21, 07:07 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i have 3 herniated disc and i bought the pilates chair off of craigslist for $50 - it is wonderful for my back - i haven't had back pain in 2 weeks. this is the 1st time in 15 years and months of physical therapy.

you might to see if you can buy it used by you
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 08:18 PM  
Sollamyn

Question

Who is the instructor on Better Back Yoga?
Old 03-05-21, 09:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
I've been doing the Extension-Based Strengthening routine on the Better Back Yoga DVD and it seems to be working. I do this periodically to counteract all the forward bending in my other workouts. Otherwise I have back pain.

I'd love to have more options for this. The other back care yoga DVDs I have include forward bends.

Actually this doesn't have to be yoga if there's another way to accomplish this.
Classical Stretch (CS) might be an option for you. it's helped me with hip and shoulder pain, however many with back pain have benefited greatly from CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
i have 3 herniated disc and i bought the pilates chair off of craigslist for $50 - it is wonderful for my back - i haven't had back pain in 2 weeks. this is the 1st time in 15 years and months of physical therapy.

which brand/model of the pilates chair are you referring to?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:45 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post

Interesting because I had a herniated disc diagnosed in my 20's The only thing that worked to fix it at the time was PT instructions to lie on my stomach and lift up into cobra 10x for 3x a day. And no forward bending.

I had previously gone to other physical therapy that had me mixing forward and backward bending but that aggravated it.

I just looked at some images of pilates chair exercises and most are with extension exercises but some have flexion (forward bending). It looks cool. I've never heard of this before. Thanks.
Old 03-06-21, 06:49 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Who is the instructor on Better Back Yoga?
Dean Pohlman. I bought the DVD but apparently he has streaming.

https://bodybyyoga.training/shop/streaming/better-back/
Old 03-06-21, 06:53 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Classical Stretch (CS) might be an option for you. it's helped me with hip and shoulder pain, however many with back pain have benefited greatly from CS.
It's my love of Essentrics that is the problem. There's so much forward bending and sweeping that aggravates my back. Rather than give it up, I decided to work on the extension work. But I'm getting tired of the one 20 minute routine I have.
Old 03-06-21, 08:51 AM  
katalina

When my back starts feeling it from shoveling - my go to is 10 Minute Solution: Pilates On The Ball - Pilates for Flexibility segment. There are some extensions, but whatever it is about it -- that 10 minutes is magic for me.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 10:30 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalina View Post
When my back starts feeling it from shoveling - my go to is 10 Minute Solution: Pilates On The Ball - Pilates for Flexibility segment. There are some extensions, but whatever it is about it -- that 10 minutes is magic for me.
It had very good reviews and was <$9 so I ordered it. Thanks!
Old 03-06-21, 11:50 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
It's my love of Essentrics that is the problem. There's so much forward bending and sweeping that aggravates my back. Rather than give it up, I decided to work on the extension work. But I'm getting tired of the one 20 minute routine I have.
The only frontal flexion in Essentrics is airplane---which I never teach and is rarely included in the newer workouts. Probably the #1 problem people have with Essentrics is not engaging the pelvic tuck and rounding the back. Whenever the arm(s) is extended in the front, you need to have the tailbone tucked under. It's not a full c curve, but the tuck protects and stretches the lumbar spine.

I'd be happy to do a Zoom call with you if you'd like...send me a message if you're interested in breaking down form.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, dean pohlman