Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-20, 09:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks - how heavy is it?

i tagged this thread with "bokken" and "sword" because past threads about Forza discussed the ideal weight and length for this workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 10:11 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

1 lb. Might not be an exact weight because I had to weigh myself without then with the sword, as just setting it on the scale didn't seem to work because of the shape. My longer one weighed the same using the same method. Both increased my scale weight by exactly one lb, though, so they at least probably weigh the same. They feel similar in weight when using them, so the difference in material accounts for them weighing the same despite the big difference in size. The shorter one just doesn't create as much drag, which makes the workout better for me.

ETA: I just went back through those threads that were tagged, and I had posted that my previous bokken was 39" and about 2lbs. I think the 39" is accurate because I remember using one of my many tape measures to measure it (and I was estimating the 40" in this thread) , but I didn't have a scale back then so probably estimated the 2 lbs, but believe the scale for today's measurement, lol! Not a big difference either way, same ballpark!
Old 06-04-20, 01:15 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Thanks - those are both ideas to look into. I like both Cathe and KCM. Never done Ilaria's workouts.
In response to the original poster...

A new strength and boxing rotation was posted on FB on Train Smart with Coffeyfit. Actually Kim has developed a couple of boxing and weights rotations on there. Have you checked those out? They are PDF files. I think there will be another month (or 2?) to finish out the summer. You could blend KCM and Cathe.

With regards to Ilaria, the Forza workouts are great. You can get wood or foam bokken on Amazon usually. I have a wooden one, a foam one and I have used the middle sized foam sticks from my old taekwondo classes.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 01:56 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
In response to the original poster...

A new strength and boxing rotation was posted on FB on Train Smart with Coffeyfit. Actually Kim has developed a couple of boxing and weights rotations on there. Have you checked those out? They are PDF files. I think there will be another month (or 2?) to finish out the summer. You could blend KCM and Cathe.

With regards to Ilaria, the Forza workouts are great. You can get wood or foam bokken on Amazon usually. I have a wooden one, a foam one and I have used the middle sized foam sticks from my old taekwondo classes.
I have been doing the KCM rotations for the past couple of months and plan on getting the new dvds. I love RAW, I just wanted to mix it up a bit.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 10:18 AM  
IceQueen07

Does Ilaria have a rotation for using her dvds or should I just alternate Bodystrike and Powerstrike? I am going to purchase one of each to start.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 01:53 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I've never seen anything official from Ilaria regarding a suggested rotation, but I know there's an old thread here where someone did exactly what you mentioned (rotating a Bodystrike with a Powerstrike) and they had good results. I'll have to use my tablet later to try to find it, searching on my phone doesn't work too well.

Tags
bokken, boxing, heavy weights, rotation, rotations, sword