Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-14, 01:28 PM  
Kyra

Ab wheel progression

I don't know how many folks use an ab wheel - I don't recall ever seeing them in videos, but you never know. I use one in the gym sometimes and basically got stuck at the level of kneeling rollouts. I experimented with ways to make them harder - holding extension, for example (torture!), and using a band to make life more difficult - but still felt more or less stuck. Doing a full standing rollout seemed like too big a progression, as I suspected I'd wind up bellyflopping on the gym floor in a spectacular fail which would no doubt wind up on YouTube. Not how I wish to gain notoriety.

However, this past weekend I saw a guy in the gym doing a cool ab wheel trick and struck up a conversation about it. And without futher adieu, here are a couple of progressions you might want to try if you are caught between too easy and face plant:

1) Use an incline surface, such as an incline bench or a ramp. The steeper the incline, the easier it will be to roll out/in. Decrease the incline over time so you can progress to:

2) Start standing, perhaps 4 feet from a wall. Roll out toward the wall. The idea is, the wall will limit your extension - you will only go until the wheel hits that hard surface (so, no face plant!). It's still plenty hard to pull back. Gradually increase your distance from the wall until you are able to do a full roll out. (Or, if you are super tough/have been perhaps using a suspension trainer, you might even be able to start here.)

I tried both yesterday and settled for #1, at a fairly low angle. Today, it hurts to laugh, so the exercise gets two thumbs up from me. Great anti-extension work, no embarrassing video!

Hope that helps someone out.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:42 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Wow! You brought back memories. I used an ab wheel in 1980-81 and it got lost during a move. Does the one you use have one wheel or two? Mine had a narrow wheel similar to a bicycle tire. I did many a face plant on it in the comfort of my living room. I might have to get another one. Torture can be fun.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 02:11 PM  
Chomper

Cool!

I don't have an ab wheel, but do use furniture sliders for a similar purpose. Now I'm wondering if I need a wheel...

Also ran across this video of more difficult progressions when I was looking up videos to make sure I understood what an ab wheel was. Some of these look

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm24Pe-QdNc
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 02:42 PM  
bubbles76

Oh you make me want to (literally!) dust off my ab wheel
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 03:36 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I have had an ab wheel for years, but haven't used it in years. I go to interval classes at a local gym and the other day one of the stations was the ab wheel... so of course I did it. I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed easier to me now than it did a few years ago.

Chomper, that video showed some crazy hard moves!

One thing for sure, you have to be VERY careful not to hurt your lower back. Good form is imperative!

Thanks for the tips on different ways to use it! Awesome!
Old 09-04-14, 04:31 PM  
Kyra

Linda, the wheel at my gym is exactly like the one with a single wheel in the video Chomper posted - which is an awesome video, by the way, gave me some more great ideas!

The wheel does seem to come and go in terms of fashionability, but it's one of those "ab" or anti-extension exercises that you really can just do for 3 - 4 sets of 8 - 12 reps and be DONE, which is why I like it. And yes, form is super important; if you are feeling it in the low back, you're either done for the day because your form is shot, or you need to regress.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 05:10 AM  
cmiyachi

Thanks Kyra - I love these progression ideas and will try them. The roll out is a tough move! My son has an ab wheel and loves it. I've always found the move tough and couldn't move out too far so I like these variations.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 07:15 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Oooh, I want 2 small ab wheels now and another one where I can put the top of my feet in!

Thanks for starting this thread Kyra.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote