Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-13, 10:19 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

LOL at the ebay song. Gonna have to look up the thrift store song now
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 12:59 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Loved the ebay song, too. Makes me glad I closed my account, lol....

I've scored some unbelievable stuff at thrift stores in the wealthy areas of my town but, oddly enough, never any workout equipment or DVDs. I did come across a nice fluidity bar last fall but, because I'm not a barre girl and don't have any friends who are, I walked away from it. I don't remember finding any worthwhile workout DVDs at the thrift store, either, but I have too many DVDs right now so I don't even look anymore. However, I am incredibly lucky at finding high-end workout clothes for $3 - $5 a piece. (I'm very picky and will only buy pieces that fit me perfectly, are top quality and in like-new condition.).... I recently purchased two high-end pairs of yoga pants, a cute matching jacket and a dri-fit long-sleeved top for a grand total of $24. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something --- as in, stop buying workout DVDs, BT, but do get on with the workout, heh .... There's a downside to this, though. Occasionally a kettlebell classmate would admire something I wore to class and, because it looked new and I was wearing it for the first time, ask me where I got it. I usually said I couldn't remember.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 01:17 PM  
mtngoat

bzar, I am always so jealous when I read of your (and other's) thrift-store finds. The only thrift-store fitness find I have ever scored was a David Kirsch book (and I was thrilled at that!).

About 25 years ago I got a full club step with 4 risers for $20 at a garage sale. That's it!

Not fitness-related: About three years ago at Xmas I found a like-new condition cashmere, full-length winter men's coat with exquisite lining (very high-end brand) at a Goodwill. They had a special section for 'expensive' treasures, and there it was. It was over $100, but a steal! It was my DH's size - I bought it for him for Xmas! (I told him where I bought it.) He still looks so handsome (and rich) in it! My best thrift-store buy ever.

Breezy T., I'd be proud to tell my KB classmate where I found the outfit! You must be a good model for the clothes.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 02-24-13 at 01:20 PM. Reason: wording
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 06:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
There's a downside to this, though. Occasionally a kettlebell classmate would admire something I wore to class and, because it looked new and I was wearing it for the first time, ask me where I got it. I usually said I couldn't remember.
i've found designer work clothes at thrift stores. when someone asked me that question, i said "i think it came from Macy's or Nordstrom."

....which is technically not lying.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 06:54 PM  
alisoncooks

A few weeks ago, I found 2 Classical Stretch dvds at the thrift store... but that's an oddity. I rarely find fitness stuff there.

(I did buy my Fluidity barre at the same store for $15, though. It was actually $30, but I was there on half-off day.)

I buy lots of clothes at the thrift store -- and I am PROUD of my thrifty finds! I bought my DD a brand new (still tags on it) pair of Fila sneakers for $2. I bragged that up and down!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 07:02 PM  
cam522

I've found Cathe's Lower Body Blast and Karen Voight's BLT Ball Workout for $2.00 each,also I've seen Cathe's Baisc Step. Saturday I found Jeanette Jenkins 21 Day Total Body Circuit Workout for $2.00 as well and I had to buy it.

I have seen Cathe's full size step with 4 risers for $10, like an idiot I passed on it although I did try to talk myself into it.

I do have to agree for the most part the thrift stores I've been to haven't had too many fitness DVDs or equipment for that matter and believe me I DO look! Craigslist in our area has somethings but not too much and they are kinda pricey.

...Cheryl

JMBR graduate 06/13
BJ Gaddour's MetaShred 11/02/2019
cam522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 07:25 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
(Speaking of thrift stores, does anyone like that song Thrift Shop by Macklemore?? Ok ok, my taste in music is juvenile, but that song cracks me up! Don't go looking for it though because the unedited lyrics are awful!)
I love it!!!!

bzar what an incredible haul! The only thing I ever found fitness wise was a Jackie Warner DVD, still shrinkwrapped, for 99 cents and one of the original FIRM Fanny Lifters being used as a door stop.

But I did score some super thick fluffy towels and an Ermenegildo Zegna dress shirt for $4.95 yesterday. I'd planned to use it for a sewing project for DD but it's so nice I might end up repurposing it for myself.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 07:26 PM  
sherry7899

I don't even bother going to the thrift stores that are near me. I never find anything at them (fitness or otherwise).

I'm lucky to have a really good cd/dvd store where I've found used and sometimes sealed fitness dvds for great prices, though.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 08:15 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i've found designer work clothes at thrift stores. when someone asked me that question, i said "i think it came from Macy's or Nordstrom."

....which is technically not lying.
Ha! I would do the same! It did probably "come from" there! I love it!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 08:18 PM  
Pam

I have collected almost all of my weights from thrift stores. Not a match set, but they have character In all but one case, I would only find a single dumbbell at a time. So slowly I collected 2 of each weight. Anybody find the "single dumbbell syndrome" where you live? I would think most of the time they would be donated in pairs.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thrift store finds